Faith is Born from Fear

It has been said by many Christians that one of the primary reasons for someone being an atheist and saying that they don't believe is because they don't want to believe. They don't want to ask the hard question "What if I'm wrong?" because they can't accept the implications of that questioning. They claim that we as atheists take the easy way out but I argue that it is just the opposite. Christians downright refuse to humor any kind of questioning when it comes to their belief. They refuse to look inside themselves and ask "What if there is no God?" because they are terrified of the implications of that question. They claim we are afraid of hell but in fact it is they who are afraid of oblivion. Of nonexistence. Understandably so. The idea of ceasing to exist is unpleasant to say the least. That is why being an atheist is far from the easy way out.

As an atheist you look that unpleasant reality in the face, swallow your fear and accept it and live your life to its fullest. Being a Christian is a way of ignoring the fact that the world is an unpleasant and often unjust place where some people live their whole lives in despair before their flame of consciousness goes out forever. This world can be cruel and unfair but as atheists we accept that it's the only one we are ever going to get and that motivates us to fight our hardest to make it a better and brighter one. For our sake and for the sake of our children. We don't turn away from reality and turn a wishful eye to an afterlife that isn't going to happen.

You are doing to others what you complain others are doing to you.

I am doing no such thing. I do not complain about the criticism of my ideas in fact I welcome and cherish it. I welcome Christians to make the same criticizing statements about my views because that is a vital part of how a free society works. What I complain about is when my rights and the rights of other minorities are infringed upon by the Christian majority in the name of their specific values.

Yes, you are. You are taking an entire class of people and sticking them into a little box and slapping a label on it. You are acting in exactly the same manner as the people you are complaining about.

The fundamental difference is that I am not trying to get laws passed that limit their freedom of expression.

I have no idea what you personally might be doing, but to say Atheists have not tried to do this is flat wrong. In fact, most of the attempts to limit freedom of expression I can think of have come from either Atheists or the left.

We want an Atheist display next to your Christmas displays. We want a booth next to Santa to talk to all the kids that don't believe in Santa or Xmas. And we want to put up right next to the Prayer you have in our school a sign that says THERE IS NO GOD and a Website where students can go see that their parents and churches have quite possibly been feeding them a fairy tale for the last 3-18 years. Let them decide after seeing both sides of the argument. But instead it is you who wouldn't dare let us have a place in society because we would expose your lie.

So don't cry about us. We sit quietly and let your religious holidays go by and some of us even participate. I like Easter and Xmas for the family. I skip church. The people bore me. Should I find a new church? Why? Am I doing it because I believe in God or because I want to meet new friends and have fun?

For some they believe because they want to believe. They don't want to be the odd ball in the flock. They enjoy church and the people at church. Met their wives or husbands at church. I know there is a lot of good that comes out of this cult but a lot of bad comes too. Like Ghandi said. Christ sounded like a good man. It's Christians that he had a problem with. AGREED!
I thought Santa Clause WAS the atheists alternative to Christmas.....

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that the Santa remark was joke.

Santa is like a training bra for future atheists.

It would appear not.

No? What are the central lesson's of Santa Claus?

1. People love a good bullshit story if it makes them feel good.
2. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Pretty much the atheist credo.

And yet most people who believed in Santa turn out to be believers in Jesus. So again, it would appear not.

Sure. It's a minority in any case.

You ever read any Florence King? She's a bisexual, pagan, southern, conservative who argues for prayer in school and closeted sexual deviance. Her point of view, in broad strokes, is that the real value of having an independent mind is the level of resistance you face in claiming it. In other words, the value of being an atheist is emphasized by the fact that so few people bother to think for themselves.

Then I would say she is living her life in accordance with the ideas of others. The value in living your life is in living it to your own standards, not as a response to the standards of others. It belongs to you, don't hand it over to others.

It has been said by many Christians that one of the primary reasons for someone being an atheist and saying that they don't believe is because they don't want to believe. They don't want to ask the hard question "What if I'm wrong?" because they can't accept the implications of that questioning. They claim that we as atheists take the easy way out but I argue that it is just the opposite. Christians downright refuse to humor any kind of questioning when it comes to their belief. They refuse to look inside themselves and ask "What if there is no God?" because they are terrified of the implications of that question. They claim we are afraid of hell but in fact it is they who are afraid of oblivion. Of nonexistence. Understandably so. The idea of ceasing to exist is unpleasant to say the least. That is why being an atheist is far from the easy way out.

As an atheist you look that unpleasant reality in the face, swallow your fear and accept it and live your life to its fullest. Being a Christian is a way of ignoring the fact that the world is an unpleasant and often unjust place where some people live their whole lives in despair before their flame of consciousness goes out forever. This world can be cruel and unfair but as atheists we accept that it's the only one we are ever going to get and that motivates us to fight our hardest to make it a better and brighter one. For our sake and for the sake of our children. We don't turn away from reality and turn a wishful eye to an afterlife that isn't going to happen.

I am doing no such thing. I do not complain about the criticism of my ideas in fact I welcome and cherish it. I welcome Christians to make the same criticizing statements about my views because that is a vital part of how a free society works. What I complain about is when my rights and the rights of other minorities are infringed upon by the Christian majority in the name of their specific values.

Yes, you are. You are taking an entire class of people and sticking them into a little box and slapping a label on it. You are acting in exactly the same manner as the people you are complaining about.

The fundamental difference is that I am not trying to get laws passed that limit their freedom of expression.

I have no idea what you personally might be doing, but to say Atheists have not tried to do this is flat wrong. In fact, most of the attempts to limit freedom of expression I can think of have come from either Atheists or the left.

We want an Atheist display next to your Christmas displays. We want a booth next to Santa to talk to all the kids that don't believe in Santa or Xmas. And we want to put up right next to the Prayer you have in our school a sign that says THERE IS NO GOD and a Website where students can go see that their parents and churches have quite possibly been feeding them a fairy tale for the last 3-18 years. Let them decide after seeing both sides of the argument. But instead it is you who wouldn't dare let us have a place in society because we would expose your lie.

So don't cry about us. We sit quietly and let your religious holidays go by and some of us even participate. I like Easter and Xmas for the family. I skip church. The people bore me. Should I find a new church? Why? Am I doing it because I believe in God or because I want to meet new friends and have fun?

For some they believe because they want to believe. They don't want to be the odd ball in the flock. They enjoy church and the people at church. Met their wives or husbands at church. I know there is a lot of good that comes out of this cult but a lot of bad comes too. Like Ghandi said. Christ sounded like a good man. It's Christians that he had a problem with. AGREED!

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that the Santa remark was joke.

It would appear not.

And yet most people who believed in Santa turn out to be believers in Jesus. So again, it would appear not.

You ever read any Florence King? She's a bisexual, pagan, southern, conservative who argues for prayer in school and closeted sexual deviance. Her point of view, in broad strokes, is that the real value of having an independent mind is the level of resistance you face in claiming it. In other words, the value of being an atheist is emphasized by the fact that so few people bother to think for themselves.

Then I would say she is living her life in accordance with the ideas of others. The value in living your life is in living it to your own standards, not as a response to the standards of others. It belongs to you, don't hand it over to others.

I don't think I really characterized her views adequately. It's more subtle than that. I think more than anything she was reacting to the idea the everyone should think for themselves. She seemed to be of the opinion that only a select few could handle it. A bit of an elitist you might say. :)

It would appear not.

I don't think I really characterized her views adequately. It's more subtle than that. I think more than anything she was reacting to the idea the everyone should think for themselves. She seemed to be of the opinion that only a select few could handle it. A bit of an elitist you might say. :)

Then I agree. Except everyone can handle it. They just need to decide to do so. Nothing elitist about that. I shall see if I can find some of her stuff.

I have found truth=God and God says we believers are to share the good news about God's love, I take no pleasure seeing you played for a fool used as satan tool puppet on the road to hell.

So talking with us here about hell and satan and how if we don't believe what you believe we'll be sent to a place of eternal torture and pain and sadness is your idea of sharing the news about God's love is it?

You might wanna take a commercial psychology course somewhere. Your 'sales pitch' needs work. :)
The" GOOD NEWS" is that Jesus gave his blood and life on the cross to pay your sin debt and buy you a pardon to keep you out of hell but you must chose to accept His love mercy forgiveness or pay your own sin debt=death and hell.

And miss the big bbq at the Lake of Fire Café???? I don't think so. All the best people will be there.

If they were truly the best people, they wouldn't be.
Oh, yes they would. Anyone who would choose to spend eternity with a being who created hell would not qualify as the best.
????....so, the logic is that its better to spend eternity in hell than with the being who created it?......

who says logic was involved.

and I know I wouldn't want to dwell with a creator who didn't treat evil people justly. Why would would it be good to not punish bad people?

God is good. The fact that anyone is trying to claim it's bad for people to face justice and the consequences of their choices tells me it's because they don't want to be judged. Which is a sign of guilty.

people who recognize their guilt do one of two things. They admit their guilt and sincerely change or they do everything they can to lie to themselves and others convincing themselves they aren't.

in other words they are trying to make themselves righteous through justifying bad behavior instead of changing bad behavior to good

I have found truth=God and God says we believers are to share the good news about God's love, I take no pleasure seeing you played for a fool used as satan tool puppet on the road to hell.

So talking with us here about hell and satan and how if we don't believe what you believe we'll be sent to a place of eternal torture and pain and sadness is your idea of sharing the news about God's love is it?

You might wanna take a commercial psychology course somewhere. Your 'sales pitch' needs work. :)
The" GOOD NEWS" is that Jesus gave his blood and life on the cross to pay your sin debt and buy you a pardon to keep you out of hell but you must chose to accept His love mercy forgiveness or pay your own sin debt=death and hell.

And miss the big bbq at the Lake of Fire Café???? I don't think so. All the best people will be there.

Oh, yes they would. Anyone who would choose to spend eternity with a being who created hell would not qualify as the best.
????....so, the logic is that its better to spend eternity in hell than with the being who created it?......

and I know I wouldn't want to dwell with a creator who didn't treat evil people justly. Why would would it be good to not punish bad people?

God is good. The fact that anyone is trying to claim it's bad for people to face justice and the consequences of their choices tells me it's because they don't want to be judged. Which is a sign of guilty.

people who recognize their guilt do one of two things. They admit their guilt and sincerely change or they do everything they can to lie to themselves and others convincing themselves they aren't.

in other words they are trying to make themselves righteous through justifying bad behavior instead of changing bad behavior to good

So unbaptized babies are evil? What about people born in a country that is dominated by another religion like Buddhism or Hinduism? Your God sends punishes people solely on whether they believe in him or not. He cares nothing for the quality of their actions.

What is a bad person and what is justice? If someone does bad things because they believe they are doing right, are they bad? If they follow what they believe to be true, are they false? Is it just to torture a soul forever for the sin of following their own heart? Is it just to torture a soul forever for the sin of believing the wrong thing?

Any being which would do such a thing is not worthy of worship. It is not worthy of respect. If I must spend eternity in hell rather than praise it for such actions, then I choose hell. And I pity those who choose otherwise.

Faith is born from hope. The highest expression of the human condition and human cognition.

Even if it were, hope and fear are two sides of the same coin. They are two slightly different manifestations of essentially the same thing. You hope for one outcome because you fear the other. You can't have hope without fear.

Empty sophistry does not validate subjective conclusions.

Faith is born from hope. The highest expression of the human condition and human cognition.

Even if it were, hope and fear are two sides of the same coin. They are two slightly different manifestations of essentially the same thing. You hope for one outcome because you fear the other. You can't have hope without fear.

Everything is subjective. That is the nature of the human experience. All we can do is agree to disagree and allow each other to go our own way.

I was raising kids when slide rules were being replaced with calculators. I don't even know what opening and closing tags are. I'm hitting reply and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I find that if I edit to reduce the size of the quote the whole thing goes wahoonie. Seriously, if you can give some tips I would appreciate it.

So was my father, yet I know how to program in 16 different computer languages, and can code HTML and CSS. I usually don't bother, but I know that a
Code:
[/quote]
needsa
Code:
[quote]
to open it ir it just hands out making me look like an idiot. Age is not an excuse for being lazy.

Wrong! Truth is truth and it is never "subjective. All mankind know that there is God but most love sin and want to hope and dream that there is no GOD. you are free to dream on till you feel the flames.

Hi, GISMYS!!!! wE MISSED YOU , YOU LYING SACK!

qUIT BEING A LIAR AND AVOID HELL! TWEAK AND YOU===???

Wrong! Truth is truth and it is never "subjective. All mankind know that there is God but most love sin and want to hope and dream that there is no GOD. you are free to dream on till you feel the flames.

Hi, GISMYS!!!! wE MISSED YOU , YOU LYING SACK!

qUIT BEING A LIAR AND AVOID HELL! TWEAK AND YOU===???
ROFLMAO!!! I HAVE BEEN HERE EVERY DAY!!! OH vanquished one!!!

sHUT UP FAKE SOCK PUPPET===!! I VANQUISH THEE GIZMO==!!!!

Fear? Why not just believe God?==
Isaiah 41:10
God says=10 So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand

Because I don't. And while you may not be able to understand why I don't, I likewise cannot understand why you do. We believe what we believe, we folloSince earliest times men have seen the earth and sky and all God made, and have known of his existence and great eternal power. So they will have no excuse when they stand before God at Judgment Day.[f]
21 Yes, they knew about him all right, but they wouldn’t admit it or worship him or even thank him for all his daily care. And after a while they began to think up silly ideas of what God was like and what he wanted them to do. The result was that their foolish minds became dark and confused. 22 Claiming themselves to be wise without God, they became utter fools instead.
Since earliest times men have seen the earth and sky and all God made, and have known of his existence and great eternal power. So they will have no excuse when they stand before God at Judgment Day.[f]
21 Yes, they knew about him all right, but they wouldn’t admit it or worship him or even thank him for all his daily care. And after a while they began to think up silly ideas of what God was like and what he wanted them to do. The result was that their foolish minds became dark and confused. 22 Claiming themselves to be wise without God, they became utter fools instead.
Since earliest times men have seen the earth and sky and all God made, and have known of his existence and great eternal power. So they will have no excuse when they stand before God at Judgment Day.[f]
21 Yes, they knew about him all right, but they wouldn’t admit it or worship him or even thank him for all his daily care. And after a while they began to think up silly ideas of what God was like and what he wanted them to do. The result was that their foolish minds became dark and confused. 22 Claiming themselves to be wise without God, they became utter fools instead. v
wSince earliest times men have seen the earth and sky and all God made, and have known of his existence and great eternal power. So they will have no excuse when they stand before God at Judgment Day.[f]
that which we think is right. If that is not good enough for God, then God is truly worthless.
GOD tells us why you chose not to believe==
21 Yes, they knew about him all right, but they wouldn’t admit it or worship him or even thank him for all his daily care. And after a while they began to think up silly ideas of what God was like and what he wanted them to do. The result was that their foolish minds became dark and confused. 22 Claiming themselves to be wise without God, they became Romans 1:

Everything is subjective. That is the nature of the human experience. All we can do is agree to disagree and allow each other to go our own way.

Think what you want. Just keep your self righteousness and your dogmatic garbage away from me. I let you live your pompous life the way you wish, so I expect the same from you and everyone else so long as my actions don't bring harm to others.

It is a very insulting and creepy conversation when a born again approaches you and asks if you know where you are going when you die.

When I was a christian, I use to tell them that it was us Greeks that translated the bible from the old writing into Greek then eventually English. We told you white people what the bible said so please don't you now try to tell me what the bible says.

And after talking to you cry babies about freedom of speech, I have decided that I'm going to start acting like christians. I'm going to go to the mall and walk up to people with a flyer with a link to an atheist website and I'm going to ask them if they realize god is a lie.

Freedom of speech, right guys? Do you have a problem with me approaching your kids in the mall and telling them that their parents and church have been lying to them?

But then in their infinite knowledge, Christians will call YOU hypocritical for doing that lol.

In this case, they would be right.

No we have every right to do as they do. If it's okay for them to tell my kids that they are going to hell then it's alright for me to tell their kids that they're just going to rot in the ground.

I agree you have the right to do this. But if you do it just because they do it and you think they should not do it, then you are a hypocrite. You have the right to be a hypocrite.[/QUOTE]

The issue isn't about us being hypocrites. It's about theists coming up to us uninvited and "spreading the word" and basically telling us a fairy tale and then saying if we don't believe it then we're going to hell. That's a fucked up story to tell someone. I would not want you telling my kids that story. So, if you guys continue to do it, we might need to start going around and approaching your children at the mall or wherever and hand then an atheist flier, and you should not have a problem with that. At least not enough of a problem to want to do anything about it.

We're not saying theism should be outlawed. If you want to tell people your cult story go ahead. Just be prepared for people to tell you to fuck off and eventually we're going to start sending our atheist version of you bible thumpers out to spread the real truth. There probably is no god. And if you are a christian spreading your word, I'm pretty sure your god doesn't exist. If there is a god, there is no evidence. It was all made up in your minds. The churches lie. It's a lie we've been brainwashed with for thousands of years. The bible is full of lies. Then hand them a pamphlet with good atheist websites on it.

Then one Sunday morning little Jimmy isn't going to church with you anymore. You can thank me later.

It would appear not.

It is amazing how many people are brainwashed with god. Some of them haven't given it much thought since they were "convinced" when they were young. They just say they believe or that they are christians but then ask them a few questions and they quickly admit that they don't believe the stories in the bible are literal and some of them will even admit there probably is no god.

Just a lot of them stay where its safe. Don't think about it, don't doubt, it's safer that way. An atheist has to have balls to deny god when theists say the penalty is torture forever. What a crock but it is clearly a very effective tactic to use on the sheep. I myself was one of them for over 40 years and recently woke up.

I guess I can agree, it is pretty cool being in on the secret truth that no one seems to want to hear or know. I appreciate the atheists who opened my eyes. I feel so stupid that I believed for so long. What was I thinking?

We got together every week and watched The Cosmos. It was fun. Like church.

Everything is subjective. That is the nature of the human experience.

Wrong. You have swallowed the leftist faith in universal relativism hook, line, and sinker. Objective reality - and morality - does exist. I realize the very notion scares the *hell* out of your ilk.

You are a halfwit trying to play at dime store philosopher and failing at even that.

FEAR IS BORN FROM FAITH, LIKE GOD IS WATCHING. This is the only force can play the roll of a Police man otherwise you can not put police man with every one, not possible.

Everything is subjective. That is the nature of the human experience.

Wrong. You have swallowed the leftist faith in universal relativism hook, line, and sinker. Objective reality - and morality - does exist. I realize the very notion scares the *hell* out of your ilk.

You are a halfwit trying to play at dime store philosopher and failing at even that.

And you are resorting to ad hominem attacks on my intelligence because you cannot attack my argument on its actual merits.

FEAR IS BORN FROM FAITH, LIKE GOD IS WATCHING. This is the only force can play the roll of a Police man otherwise you can not put police man with every one, not possible.

What are you even trying to say? Is there a point or coherent statement in there somewhere because I didn't see it. Try that again only type slower this time please.

Forum List

Back