Faith In Democracy?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Is a country, a society, a government based on democratic principles possible without faith? I hold that it is not. Certainly Western Civilization was not founded without it.

I find it hilarious that atheists on this site think the Dark Ages were dark because of Christianity, lol.

When precisely the opposite is true..the Dark Ages were *dark* because the western world was an illiterate, pagan, tribal, warring society that lived in freaking stone huts and used stone implements. They didn't write, or read.

The Middle Ages and the Enlightenment was a period of extraordinary advances in our civilization..in terms of law, education, standard of living...thanks to the advance of Christianity. Christian priests taught children to read, Christian tenets resulted in the development of constitutional government and the Magna Carta itself.

Poor, sad dupes.

Is a country, a society, a government based on democratic principles possible without faith? I hold that it is not. Certainly Western Civilization was not founded without it.
Faith is like a raw material that must be shaped by reason into a society. When faith is allowed to rule without reason is where the trouble starts.

I find it hilarious that atheists on this site think the Dark Ages were dark because of Christianity, lol.

When precisely the opposite is true..the Dark Ages were *dark* because the western world was an illiterate, pagan, tribal, warring society that lived in freaking stone huts and used stone implements. They didn't write, or read.

The Middle Ages and the Enlightenment was a period of extraordinary advances in our civilization..in terms of law, education, standard of living...thanks to the advance of Christianity. Christian priests taught children to read, Christian tenets resulted in the development of constitutional government and the Magna Carta itself.

Poor, sad dupes.
Where did Christianity advance without military might???

Poor, sad dupes.
Where did Christianity advance without military might???

It happens every day. You're thinking of Islam.

I'm pretty sure that you won't find much democracy in places where faith in some supreme being has great influence on public policy.

Poor, sad dupes.

Well, some of this ^^^ is true; let's look at some other factors:

The Dark Ages Definition History Timeline Education Portal

From the link above:

"The ancient Greek and Roman civilizations were remarkably advanced for their time. Both civilizations made a number of contributions to human progress, notably in the areas of science, government, philosophy, and architecture. Some scholars perceive Europe as having been 'plunged into darkness' when the Roman Empire fell in around 500 A.D. The Middle Ages are often said to be 'dark' because of a supposed lack of scientific and cultural advancement.

"During this time, feudalism was the dominant political system. The feudal system of labor hindered upward social mobility, which basically means that poor people had very little opportunity to improve their condition in life. Religious superstition was also widespread during this time. The Catholic Church was extremely institutionalized, and often opposed the scientific and cultural advancements the Greeks and Romans had pioneered."

We might discuss the Crusades and the various inquisitions too.

I'm pretty sure that you won't find much democracy in places where faith in some supreme being has great influence on public policy.

Only every consitutional republic that actually succeeds.

Not so much the true democracies..aka the shitholes run by leftist freaks.

Only every consitutional republic that actually succeeds.

Not so much the true democracies..aka the shitholes run by leftist freaks.

Hello. Who are you? Should I know you?

What?

Communist Russia and China outlawed religion.

dafuck is wrong with you?

Poor, sad dupes.
uhm, no

Knowledgeable people were put to death b/c they thought the earth was round.
Doctors were killed b/c they used plants to heal the sick
etc, etc

the Church brought on the Dark ages

History is a process of authoritarianism, monarchy and ignorance being replaced by education and democracy. Faith in truth and democracy is the important thing, not faith in religion. Yikes, religion has been the problem most of the time...see the ME.

Wrong. Christians claimed the world was round.

Again. Christianity = enlightenment.
The church brought people OUT of the dark ages. Remember, the dark ages was when the world ground to a halt when Rome fell...the poor people, ignorant, backward, tribal, pagan...they were lost until the church drew them together and educated them..and united them.

Last edited:
"St. Thomas Aquinas, who was made a saint because of his genius, wrote that the world was round almost 250 years before Columbus made his journey. Medieval universities, which were Christian institutions, used a textbook entitled Sphere to teach astronomy. Two hundred years before Columbus, Buridan, Rector of the University of Paris, wrote a long discussion proving that the rotation of the Earth on its axis produced night and day, assuming, as did all his fellow Christian scholars throughout Europe, that the Earth was round. No serious Christian thinkers thought that the world was flat, as Edward Grant notes in his 1971 book, Physical Science in the Middle Ages (London: Cambridge University Press, 1971.)

"Everyone agrees that the Catholic Church in 1492 accepted the Ptolemaic Theory -- Copernicus even published his famous book challenged the "Earth-centered" view of the universe in the Ptolemaic Theory in 1492, the year Columbus sailed -- but the Ptolemaic Theory itself requires that the Earth be round. And it was not just Catholics who believed the world was round. All Christians in Europe did. Protestant scholars like George Rheticus and Johannes Kepler supported the "Sun-centered" view of the Catholic scholar Copernicus, which also said that the world was round: The title of his book is even called Concerning the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres. "

Read more: Articles Christianity and the Round Planet

"
Why, then, have we come to believe that Medieval Christians thought the world was flat? Antoine-Jean Letronne, a French atheist, started this defamation with his 1834 book, On the Cosmological Ideas of the Church Fathers. This deception was picked up by Dickson White, President of Cornell University. White inserted this utterly manufactured history into textbooks, encyclopedias, and other serious research. No one thought much about it at the time. The very notion that Christianity somehow stopped science, when in 1834 nearly every great scientist of the last five centuries had been belonged to some branch of the Christian faith, would have struck any sincere student of science as silly.

It was as silly as the idea that Darwin's Theory of Evolution was scientific fact, when even Darwin admitted that his theory was full of questions that he could not answer. But if Christianity gave birth to science, then science could hardly be the new god to replace Christianity. So the Christian idea of a round Earth was turned on its head: Instead of being the only people in the Medieval world who got the shape and size of our planet exactly right, Christians, alone, came to be known as the people who got it all wrong.

Copernicus was a canon of the Catholic Church. Newton devoted the last decades of his life to Bible study. Galileo, also his whole life a devout Christian, spent the last part of his life as a guest in the home of a cardinal. Kepler, who refined the theories of Copernicus, was a pious Lutheran his whole life. The Scientific Method itself was created in the Christian universities of the Middle Ages. How does that fit into the popular idea that Christians are opposed to science? It does not, unless you believe that the Earth is flat - something Christians never thought. Who, in olden time, thought the world was flat? Everyone thought the world was flat but Christians."

Disagree.

Of course a country, a society, a government based on democratic principles is possible without faith.

Indeed, Western Civilization managed to flourish in spite of the bane of religion.

"
Why, then, have we come to believe that Medieval Christians thought the world was flat? Antoine-Jean Letronne, a French atheist, started this defamation with his 1834 book, On the Cosmological Ideas of the Church Fathers. This deception was picked up by Dickson White, President of Cornell University. White inserted this utterly manufactured history into textbooks, encyclopedias, and other serious research. No one thought much about it at the time. The very notion that Christianity somehow stopped science, when in 1834 nearly every great scientist of the last five centuries had been belonged to some branch of the Christian faith, would have struck any sincere student of science as silly.

It was as silly as the idea that Darwin's Theory of Evolution was scientific fact, when even Darwin admitted that his theory was full of questions that he could not answer. But if Christianity gave birth to science, then science could hardly be the new god to replace Christianity. So the Christian idea of a round Earth was turned on its head: Instead of being the only people in the Medieval world who got the shape and size of our planet exactly right, Christians, alone, came to be known as the people who got it all wrong.

Copernicus was a canon of the Catholic Church. Newton devoted the last decades of his life to Bible study. Galileo, also his whole life a devout Christian, spent the last part of his life as a guest in the home of a cardinal. Kepler, who refined the theories of Copernicus, was a pious Lutheran his whole life. The Scientific Method itself was created in the Christian universities of the Middle Ages. How does that fit into the popular idea that Christians are opposed to science? It does not, unless you believe that the Earth is flat - something Christians never thought. Who, in olden time, thought the world was flat? Everyone thought the world was flat but Christians."

Disagree.

Of course a country, a society, a government based on democratic principles is possible without faith.

Indeed, Western Civilization managed to flourish in spite of the bane of religion.

Western civilization flourished because of Christianity. And it's failing now because it is stepping away from Christianity.

Poor, sad dupes.
It was all nobles and churchmen directing things until the invention of the printing press in the 1400's...the church establishment was allied with the nobles against scientific and democratic revolution. Still conservative pain in the ass dingbats, though most revolutionaries remained religious, outside of communists...

Forum List

Back