Faith Healing

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Denver
There are many people of faith who believe that their particular deity can and does heal people miraculously. Probably more than a few of the faithful on USMB believe in faith healing. They believe their God cures cancer, autoimmune diseases, congenital defects (such as significantly different lengths of limbs), and debilitating conditions (such as injuries that leave one crippled), blindness, deafness, diabetes - you name it. Except AIDS. No one believes their God cures the perverts, dopers, the promiscuous, or those inadvertently infected with HIV (blood transfusions are against God). There is no evidence of such healings beyond personal anecdotes and ancient writings, but that's the power of belief - it can overcome such lack of evidence.

So...

My question to them is: Why doesn't your God heal amputations? None. Zero. Never. No one has ever re-grown an arm, a leg, a toe or a finger, or even part of a toe or finger. Never re-grown an eye or had a terrible disfigurement healed. No injury or condition so visible that were it healed, it would simply be obviously miraculously healed, has ever been healed. Why not?

How can that be and you still believe in faith healing?

I think there is a really simple explanation for why that has never happened. It easily explains why visibly obvious conditions or injuries have never been healed. Because there is no such thing as faith healing.

But that explanation could be wrong. If you think so, why?

Last edited:
If you had to choose between the health and happiness of your child where western medicine saves the child's life, eliminates their physical pain, and saves them from disability and/or disfigurement...or God, which would you choose and why?

If he made it that obvious, there would be no need for faith, which is what He is looking for in us. If you had any faith, you might get a glimpse of God's power but I don't think your arrogance would allow it. Too bad for you. You're your own worst enemy.

If he made it that obvious, there would be no need for faith, which is what He is looking for in us. If you had any faith, you might get a glimpse of God's power but I don't think your arrogance would allow it. Too bad for you. You're your own worst enemy.

You've just implied the contradiction, or better yet, the paradox of faith for the skeptic: to believe that God exists you must first believe that God exists. That is not an argument; it's circular logic.

Secondly, for those that are, allegedly, healed whether they have faith or not - unless God only heals those who already believe - isn't it pretty obvious? Do they need to have faith after the fact? The same goes for the alleged healer. For them it isn't faith healing, it's "know" healing.

Do you believe, have religious FAITH, that God exists, or do you know that God exists?

I keep my mind receptive to hope.....in everything not just healing or this or that....in everything...... I let faith come in....

I will not close myself to that which is my... which is our...Loving Creator.

That is my choice and my reality. :)

You've just implied the contradiction, or better yet, the paradox of faith for the skeptic: to believe that God exists you must first believe that God exists. That is not an argument; it's circular logic.

Secondly, for those that are, allegedly, healed whether they have faith or not - unless God only heals those who already believe - isn't it pretty obvious? Do they need to have faith after the fact? The same goes for the alleged healer. For them it isn't faith healing, it's "know" healing.

Do you believe, have religious FAITH, that God exists, or do you know that God exists?
The answer is yes, but I'm not about to try to convince you of anything because frankly, I don't give a shit if you ever see the light or not. You asked and I answered. I also told you how it works. The rest is up to you if you really want to know the truth (but we both know the truth is not what you're looking for, don't we?).

There are many people of faith who believe that their particular deity can and does heal people miraculously. Probably more than a few of the faithful on USMB believe in faith healing. They believe their God cures cancer, autoimmune diseases, congenital defects (such as significantly different lengths of limbs), and debilitating conditions (such as injuries that leave one crippled), blindness, deafness, diabetes - you name it. Except AIDS. No one believes their God cures the perverts, dopers, the promiscuous, or those inadvertently infected with HIV (blood transfusions are against God). There is no evidence of such healings beyond personal anecdotes and ancient writings, but that's the power of belief - it can overcome such lack of evidence.

So...

My question to them is: Why doesn't your God heal amputations? None. Zero. Never. No one has ever re-grown an arm, a leg, a toe or a finger, or even part of a toe or finger. Never re-grown an eye or had a terrible disfigurement healed. No injury or condition so visible that were it healed, it would simply be obviously miraculously healed, has ever been healed. Why not?

How can that be and you still believe in faith healing?

I think there is a really simple explanation for why that has never happened. It easily explains why visibly obvious conditions or injuries have never been healed. Because there is no such thing as faith healing.

But that explanation could be wrong. If you think so, why?

Given how most pharmaceutical commercials spend over half the commercial detailing the side effects, giving it up to a god isn't the worst idea.

Quantum physics states (and has proven) we change physical reality just by looking at it. Given that's the case, what a believer can do shouldn't be underestimated.

I wouldn't try it as a first option for anything major, but will power, positive thinking, biofeedback, faith healing, and intercessory prayer can accomplish some impressive results in studies conducted investigating them. Especially where pain is the issue. Since pain is simply a neural response to something stimulating some part of the body, how we choose to interpret that stimmulus can be controlled to some degree. In effect, we can choose not to experience pain. If it helps an individual to believe God or something outside themselves is responsible who cares?

I keep my mind receptive to hope.....in everything not just healing or this or that....in everything...... I let faith come in....

I will not close myself to that which is my... which is our...Loving Creator.

That is my choice and my reality. :)

While I appreciate the Christian religious greeting card quality of your response, Skye, it really didn't have anything to do with this particular thread.

Why doesn't God heal amputees is the question. What's your response to that?

The answer is yes, but I'm not about to try to convince you of anything because frankly, I don't give a shit if you ever see the light or not. You asked and I answered. I also told you how it works. The rest is up to you if you really want to know the truth (but we both know the truth is not what you're looking for, don't we?).

You see, this is an Internet forum where people get together, virtually, online to communicate with each other. Why respond to the OP or any of my responses at all if you're simply going to answer any question about this subject by writing:

God exists and I know it but I'm not going to explain it to you since I don't care to.

Sounds to me like you simply can't honestly answer the questions I've asked you in this thread. Either comunicate on this subject or stop wasting your, mine, and anyone else's time.

The problem, of course, is that attitudes such as yours causes children to die from preventable disease because parents will withhold competent medical care in place of prayer.

Fortunately, these cases generally wind up in court with the parents being held accountable.

And just google away for more Insane people
Faith-Healing Churches Linked to 2 Dozen Child Deaths NBC 10 Philadelphia

And just google away for more Insane people
Faith-Healing Churches Linked to 2 Dozen Child Deaths NBC 10 Philadelphia

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 • Updated at 6:43 PM EDT
A Pennsylvania couple who believe in faith-healing rather than modern medicine will each spend the next three and half to seven years behind bars for the death of their 8-month-old son, the second time one of their ill children died without seeing a doctor.

Read more:Faith-Healing Parents Get Up to 7 Years for Infant Son s Death NBC 10 Philadelphia
Follow us: @nbcphiladelphia on Twitter | nbcphiladelphia on Facebook
Faith-Healing Parents Get Up to 7 Years for Infant Son s Death NBC 10 Philadelphia

You see, this is an Internet forum where people get together, virtually, online to communicate with each other. Why respond to the OP or any of my responses at all if you're simply going to answer any question about this subject by writing:

God exists and I know it but I'm not going to explain it to you since I don't care to.

Sounds to me like you simply can't honestly answer the questions I've asked you in this thread. Either comunicate on this subject or stop wasting your, mine, and anyone else's time.
First of all, I bolded your question and answered it. You just didn't like the answer. Second, you don't get to make the rules here. You're trolling, and I won't dignify your "gotcha" questions with a sincere answer. You may now go back to your trolling.

The problem, of course, is that attitudes such as yours causes children to die from preventable disease because parents will withhold competent medical care in place of prayer.

Fortunately, these cases generally wind up in court with the parents being held accountable.
I assume you're talking about the kind of faith healing where someone puts their hands on someone and supposedly cures them of diseases or injuries. That's not faith healing because the afflicted person is actually putting their faith in the person putting their hands on them. I don't believe in that either. Feel better now?

First of all, I bolded your question and answered it. You just didn't like the answer. Second, you don't get to make the rules here. You're trolling, and I won't dignify your "gotcha" questions with a sincere answer. You may now go back to your trolling.

As a legal matter, withholding medical treatments from children is tricky. Just because a medical treatment exists, shouldn't require a person to use it or use it on their children. If people wanna try "the Force" and such that should be their right. There's a 24 hour cure for heroin and other narcotic addicition (and alcoholism) but we don't make that mandatory.

God can and does heal people miraculously . I have been healed miraculously. I have no doubt He can and does heal amputees.

healings happen according to the faith of those involved. Some injuries or illnesses are easier to heal because it's easier to have faith than others. Some healing only takes place after much fasting and prayer.

the Lord has brought people back from the dead before. It doesn't happen frequently because of lack of faith.

I've seen legs healed. I know a child who had his head crushed by a school bus who was healed. I know of a man whose hip was rebuilt by the Lord.

it happens. But if you are seeking signs before you believe you will never comprehend. It would be more prudent to stop your affair and be faithful to your spouse, humbling yourself before the Lord in repentance. Because faith proceeds the miracle.

Forum List

Back