Fair Tax

I believe that every American should be paying the same amount of tax as anybody else. Makes no difference if you are the poorest man or the richest man, the taxes should be the same. Everybody, regardless of who they are should be paying income taxes. I've heard that approximately 50% of all Americans pay no taxes at all. I think that is wrong. If you make a dollar it should be taxed just the same as the man who makes a million dollars - no difference. It makes absolutely no sense for people to not pay the same amount of taxes as their fellow Americans. We are all in this together - not just the rich.

I think the right call fair tax a consumption only tax. If so I do not support that.

Depends on who you talk to, however generally speaking the "fair tax" moniker is just a rhetorical device since labeling ones proposal(s) as a "fair tax" implicitly makes all competing taxation proposals/existing taxes "unfair".

I support The Fair Tax.

I believe it is the fairest way to collect taxes and to make sure that everyone pays their share of taxes including drug dealers and illegal aliens.

Immie

No, I don't support it, if anything, I'd love to see the 16th repealed with nothing to replace it or more of a VAT of 1 or 2% with no exemptions or all Federal taxes repealed and each State paying their apportioned share to the Federal government, raising the revenue as they wanted to.

I believe that every American should be paying the same amount of tax as anybody else. Makes no difference if you are the poorest man or the richest man, the taxes should be the same. Everybody, regardless of who they are should be paying income taxes. I've heard that approximately 50% of all Americans pay no taxes at all. I think that is wrong. If you make a dollar it should be taxed just the same as the man who makes a million dollars - no difference. It makes absolutely no sense for people to not pay the same amount of taxes as their fellow Americans. We are all in this together - not just the rich.

Oh please. How in the world could we afford the invasion and subsequent occupation of Iraq, with an idea like this?

Last edited:
No, I don't support it, if anything, I'd love to see the 16th repealed with nothing to replace it or more of a VAT of 1 or 2% with no exemptions or all Federal taxes repealed and each State paying their apportioned share to the Federal government, raising the revenue as they wanted to.
That last is My preferred way of financing the federal government. Let the States 'tithe' their fair share to support defense and a few other programs that each of us can use and benefit from. The rest of governance should be done at the State level with appropriate funding levels decided upon by the citizens of that particular state.

Oh please. How in the world could we afford the invaiosn and subsequent occupation of Iraq, with an idea like this?

I am sure in his little imaginary Republican fantasy world ruled by King Limbaugh a tax structure where the majority of the tax burden was on the shoulders on the poor is a perfectly sustainable system...

I think a direct tax on state governments would be best because the citizens never have to deal with the federal government and I bet a lot of representatives in the senate (assuming we repeal the 17th amendment) would holler if expenditures meant paying more taxes out of their state treasuries.

Oh please. How in the world could we afford the invaiosn and subsequent occupation of Iraq, with an idea like this?

I am sure in his little imaginary Republican fantasy world ruled by King Limbaugh a tax structure where the majority of the tax burden was on the shoulders on the poor is a perfectly sustainable system...

Our fantasy will be reality in 2010 and beyond.

I think the right call fair tax a consumption only tax. If so I do not support that.

Nor do I. Consumption taxes fall more heavily on the people with less money. I support a FLAT tax. With a threshold below which one does not pay taxes to the Federal Government at all. Exception being Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes.

Nor do I. Consumption taxes fall more heavily on the people with less money. I support a FLAT tax. With a threshold below which one does not pay taxes to the Federal Government at all. Exception being Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes.

I support a no exemptions flat tax.
That way politicos and their lobbyists could not keep stickiing exemptions/deductions in there for their group.

I actually don't believe there should be a threshold in which you don't have to pay taxes. If you benefit from living in our society, you should pay something. Nothing for nothing.

Then you put the working poor into the streets.

Then what?

Oh please. How in the world could we afford the invasion and subsequent occupation of Iraq, with an idea like this?
We can't afford it now :eusa_eh:

That last is My preferred way of financing the federal government. Let the States 'tithe' their fair share to support defense and a few other programs that each of us can use and benefit from. The rest of governance should be done at the State level with appropriate funding levels decided upon by the citizens of that particular state.

That "tithing" is known as apportionment...It operates just fine without a direct tax on incomes, the 16th Amendment and the IRS.

Forum List

Back