Fair or No?

Good question for an odd situation.

They are poloticians that work for us but we don't employ them.

ya know, I just don't know.

On one side they are still working to get a budget.
On the other they fucked it up so bad that they should all be looking at getting fired.

If we don't have the money to pay most of government, then no one should get paid.
You don't pay me, I won't work, so we have to pay the pols to work.

meh

It's moments like this when I hope there is a hell.

We have paid them and now we owe the Chinese more money than we'll ever see. If they work, everything gets screwed up. Let's let them not work and see how that goes.

Congress should get a pay cut. And the neat little scam they have of voting their own pay raises should be addressed.

One thing that irks the hell out of me is that a politician can stop working for a year or more while campaigning for an office other than the one he already holds and still get paid and then have the job waiting for him if he loses.

It'd be like you telling your boss you won't be showing up to work for a year while you try to get a new business off the ground expecting to be paid and still have your old job waiting for you if your new venture didn't work out.

Does anyone else think that if an elected politician should resign his seat if he plans on campaigning for another office?
They get away with their pay raise because of Americans' short memory.
Every 2 years 1/3 are up for re-election.
Takes a 2/3 majority to pass their raise.
The one third that are up on deck can say "I didn't vote for the pay raise".
Meanwhile the others pass it.
Then for the next 4 years that same dickhead can vote while the others run.......and the cycle continues

I thought it was set up for congress to automatically get a raise unless they voted against it?

Congress should get a pay cut. And the neat little scam they have of voting their own pay raises should be addressed.

One thing that irks the hell out of me is that a politician can stop working for a year or more while campaigning for an office other than the one he already holds and still get paid and then have the job waiting for him if he loses.

It'd be like you telling your boss you won't be showing up to work for a year while you try to get a new business off the ground expecting to be paid and still have your old job waiting for you if your new venture didn't work out.

Does anyone else think that if an elected politician should resign his seat if he plans on campaigning for another office?

No.

And it's beyond ridiculous to think that being a politician is just another job.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Is it your thought that the politician needn't do his job to get paid or that the job is not really a job anyway so not doing it makes no difference?

No.

And it's beyond ridiculous to think that being a politician is just another job.

It's ridiculous to think politics is a job at all. And we elect these idiots to fill a particular role not to campaign for another office while still collecting tax dollar funded pay while they're not doing what they were elected to do.

it's a scam that we get to pay for.

Last edited:
Good question for an odd situation.

They are poloticians that work for us but we don't employ them.

ya know, I just don't know.

On one side they are still working to get a budget.
On the other they fucked it up so bad that they should all be looking at getting fired.

If we don't have the money to pay most of government, then no one should get paid.
You don't pay me, I won't work, so we have to pay the pols to work.

meh

It's moments like this when I hope there is a hell.

We have paid them and now we owe the Chinese more money than we'll ever see. If they work, everything gets screwed up. Let's let them not work and see how that goes.

While that's a cool idea, and I support the idea of shrinking it down to nothing; halting it will have huge consequices. Ones that will not be managed in a timely manner.

As far as the military getting paid or not.

Men of honor do what men of honor do.

Paid or not, most servicemen will do thier duty. There will be no end to the bitching and moaning, but everything will get done.

They get away with their pay raise because of Americans' short memory.
Every 2 years 1/3 are up for re-election.
Takes a 2/3 majority to pass their raise.
The one third that are up on deck can say "I didn't vote for the pay raise".
Meanwhile the others pass it.
Then for the next 4 years that same dickhead can vote while the others run.......and the cycle continues

I thought it was set up for congress to automatically get a raise unless they voted against it?

It is now.

It doesn't matter either way. It's always set up so every pol can say they didn't vote for it. And that's how they will respond; "I didn't vote for it" they will never ever say "I voted against it".

Constitutionally it's right but do you think it's fair for Congress members to continue to be paid during any government shutdown?

With the latest short-term government funding law set to expire at the end of the week, Washington is once again talking about the possibility of a shutdown.
Not every government worker would be sent home in the event of a shutdown, however.
Several types of federal officials and employees, including members of Congress, the president, presidential appointees, and certain legislative branch employees are not subject to a furlough caused by a funding gap.
Read more:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Congress.org - News : Congress Q&A: Who gets paid?
Personally I don't see a problem with their continuing to draw a check; it's meaningless other than symbolically. But I would certainly like pay to stay current for all military personel. As chief executive officer the president has the authority and responsibility of determining who gets paid, so it should be interesting to see how he handles it, and how the MSM reports it.

Forum List

Back