Failure is not an option: A sneak peek at school reform?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
By order of the principal, codified in the school’s teacher handbook, all teachers should grade their classes in the same way: 30 percent of students should earn a grade in the A range, 40 percent B’s, 25 percent C’s, and no more than 5 percent D’s. As long as they show up, they should not fail.

While giving students second and third chances to make up work is not unusual at New York City public schools, several former and current teachers say they believe that some of the school’s practices have crossed the line into impropriety. In practice, some teachers said, even students who missed most of the school days earned credits. They also said students were promoted with over 100 absences a year; the principal, rather than a teacher, granted class credits needed for graduation; and credit was awarded for classes the school does not even offer.

In one case, one teacher said, a student graduated even though he received a “no credit” in a required course.

In another case, a student who was absent 98 days in one year was promoted to the next grade, earning credits for classes including cooking, yoga and independent study. The school does not offer a cooking class, although in at least one case, the principal, Lynn Passarella, created an independent study course called cooking, given after school, to motivate a student.

And the name listed as the student’s gym teacher, on an official student record form, is not an employee at the school.

Ms. Passarella declined to comment about the allegations, saying that she thought the real story at her school was how students from poor backgrounds could succeed if given the chance.

Teacher turnover at the school has been near 50 percent in recent years, and some teachers said the policy of passing students had taken a toll. “I don’t know how they think they are raising these kids to think that they can do what they want with no consequences and still get good grades,” said a teacher who left due to an illness. “It’s just so wrong on so many levels.”

Outside the school, in the Tremont section, on Wednesday, students had differing opinions about the no-failure policy. Some said that it sometimes hurt their motivation to know that a classmate would pass even if he did not come to class. One said that his current average was a 30 — but that he could bring it up to a 95 with a few days of work — and that teachers sometimes handed out examples of student work that he copied from.

Though the school boasts a 100 percent college acceptance rate, the students’ average score on the SATs is below the city average — about 390 in both English and math. And anecdotally, some teachers say many graduates are in remedial college classes or dropping out.

Nayshaun Stokes, who graduated last year and said he was doing well at City College, said that he did take “most of the classes that are on my transcript” at the high school. He acknowledged that 7 to 10 students, out of his graduating class of just over 60, probably did not deserve to graduate. He described the school as feeling like a family: “It’s like, let me give you a chance because I love you, and I don’t want to see you fail.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/20/education/20grades.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

Be careful what you wish for folks. Education reform is not about education at all. It's all about the numbers.

It's a joke to suggest that k-12 educators are professionals.

Administrators are going to tell them how many kids will get what grades?

It's nonsense like that which drives intelligent educators out of the classroom.

Most people don't realize that administrators are running the schools, not the teachers. The rule of "no failures" is not unique to NY. It is happening across the country. Teachers are given the choice to follow the directive or lose their job. People think it's hard to fire a teacher, but teachers and administrators know that is false, so teachers do what they are told. When American students fall behind the rest of the world people blame the teachers because they don't know or refuse to acknowledge what's really happening at their schools. Public education won't improve until people open their eyes and hold the "decision-makers" and students responsible.

Most people don't realize that administrators are running the schools, not the teachers. The rule of "no failures" is not unique to NY. It is happening across the country. Teachers are given the choice to follow the directive or lose their job. People think it's hard to fire a teacher, but teachers and administrators know that is false, so teachers do what they are told. When American students fall behind the rest of the world people blame the teachers because they don't know or refuse to acknowledge what's really happening at their schools. Public education won't improve until people open their eyes and hold the "decision-makers" and students responsible.

We are all Individuals first. It seems that you have a good handle on that. Good perspective. ;)

From the article in the OP:

the school boasts a 100 percent college acceptance rate, the students’ average score on the SATs is below the city average — about 390 in both English and math

What's the problem?

By order of the principal, codified in the school’s teacher handbook, all teachers should grade their classes in the same way: 30 percent of students should earn a grade in the A range, 40 percent B’s, 25 percent C’s, and no more than 5 percent D’s. As long as they show up, they should not fail.

While giving students second and third chances to make up work is not unusual at New York City public schools, several former and current teachers say they believe that some of the school’s practices have crossed the line into impropriety. In practice, some teachers said, even students who missed most of the school days earned credits. They also said students were promoted with over 100 absences a year; the principal, rather than a teacher, granted class credits needed for graduation; and credit was awarded for classes the school does not even offer.

In one case, one teacher said, a student graduated even though he received a “no credit” in a required course.

In another case, a student who was absent 98 days in one year was promoted to the next grade, earning credits for classes including cooking, yoga and independent study. The school does not offer a cooking class, although in at least one case, the principal, Lynn Passarella, created an independent study course called cooking, given after school, to motivate a student.

And the name listed as the student’s gym teacher, on an official student record form, is not an employee at the school.

Ms. Passarella declined to comment about the allegations, saying that she thought the real story at her school was how students from poor backgrounds could succeed if given the chance.

Teacher turnover at the school has been near 50 percent in recent years, and some teachers said the policy of passing students had taken a toll. “I don’t know how they think they are raising these kids to think that they can do what they want with no consequences and still get good grades,” said a teacher who left due to an illness. “It’s just so wrong on so many levels.”

Outside the school, in the Tremont section, on Wednesday, students had differing opinions about the no-failure policy. Some said that it sometimes hurt their motivation to know that a classmate would pass even if he did not come to class. One said that his current average was a 30 — but that he could bring it up to a 95 with a few days of work — and that teachers sometimes handed out examples of student work that he copied from.

Though the school boasts a 100 percent college acceptance rate, the students’ average score on the SATs is below the city average — about 390 in both English and math. And anecdotally, some teachers say many graduates are in remedial college classes or dropping out.

Nayshaun Stokes, who graduated last year and said he was doing well at City College, said that he did take “most of the classes that are on my transcript” at the high school. He acknowledged that 7 to 10 students, out of his graduating class of just over 60, probably did not deserve to graduate. He described the school as feeling like a family: “It’s like, let me give you a chance because I love you, and I don’t want to see you fail.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/20/education/20grades.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

Be careful what you wish for folks. Education reform is not about education at all. It's all about the numbers.

I remember learning about the Purpose of the Ministry of Truth, in both school and print. Go Orwell!!!

Failure is not a bad thing it shows a person what they need to improve on. Let's use American idol as an example. How many of those people who failed to make the show were actually told they could sing, only to be laughed at by those who watched the first three weeks of the show?

Failure is not a bad thing it shows a person what they need to improve on. Let's use American idol as an example. How many of those people who failed to make the show were actually told they could sing, only to be laughed at by those who watched the first three weeks of the show?

:eusa_eh:

You know, I really cannot blame you for this attitude, because I had it at one time.

But then I taught in a school where 75% of the students were receiving Title I Federal Benefits, i.e., their parent(s) made so little income that they were granted free and reduced lunches.

As you may imagine, these kids did not come from homes where success was an everyday, or even an annual, happening. In fact, failure was more often the rule rather than the exception on a daily basis. They don't really need to attend school to get a taste of failure so it could "show a person what they need to improve on."

You know, I really cannot blame you for this attitude, because I had it at one time.

But then I taught in a school where 75% of the students were receiving Title I Federal Benefits, i.e., their parent(s) made so little income that they were granted free and reduced lunches.

As you may imagine, these kids did not come from homes where success was an everyday, or even an annual, happening. In fact, failure was more often the rule rather than the exception on a daily basis. They don't really need to attend school to get a taste of failure so it could "show a person what they need to improve on."

Failure is a good thing if you use it for yur benifit. Do you think I came from a secessful family back ground? My family was poor nothing was given to us. If we did not work for it we didn't get it. But failure is bad if you wallow in it and keep blaming others for the failure. Its a two edge sword. Just depends on how you use it.

Failure is a good thing if you use it for yur benifit. Do you think I came from a secessful family back ground? My family was poor nothing was given to us. If we did not work for it we didn't get it. But failure is bad if you wallow in it and keep blaming others for the failure. Its a two edge sword. Just depends on how you use it.

I was speaking to your comment, "Failure is not a bad thing it shows a person what they need to improve on," and its application to the thread....You recall the thread, right?

In the context of applying failure as a lesson to children who are quite familiar with it, the comment is ludicrous.

Your next absurdity is, "failure is bad if you wallow in it.".... DEEP THOUGHTS

What about shit? Is that also bad if you wallow in it?

I bet its obvious to an intellectual giant like yourself that shit is also bad in which to wallow.

But, something has somehow illuded your keen mind: No one wants to wallow in shit or failure. 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, lots of kids have no choice but be in the company of failure. When they go to school, then they should have no choice but to be in the company of success.

>

Failure is not an option.

This isn't a concept that is taught in schools. The primary responsibility for teaching children that "failure is not an option" is not something that is the responsibility of schools to teach, the primary responsibility for this rests with the parents.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that parents much pound into their child's head that nothing below an "A" is acceptable. But parents are responsible for teaching their children from an early age - (pre-school) all the way through high school - that education is a fundamental component of success and that a full effort towards success is the only acceptable outcome. Now to be honest, my son had troubles in middle school and the first couple of years of high school. He could read like a raped ape before even going to kindergarten. The result was that he was bored out of his skull in elementary school, and had to put forth very little effort to be at the head of his class. The result was that when he went to middle school he didn't have some of the academic skills needed in an environment of rotating classes with different teachers yet had the math skills of a high schooler and was reading at the college level. We harped and harped that "failure is not an option" and took steps to drive that home. Communicating with teachers, monitoring homework, following grades, work on organizational skills so that homework was completed and turned in at the correct time (and to the correct teacher). By the time he was a Junior in High School he began to recognize the importance of education and we were reward with improved performance and we rewarded him by backing off (but still keeping a lose eye). Now he's a Junior in college full-time as a Business IT professional and is already working part-time in the field as a Network Systems Technician.

Mom and I were very worried for a few years there but WE were committed to the idea that, when it came to our childs education, that failure was not an option.

>>>>

>

This isn't a concept that is taught in schools. The primary responsibility for teaching children that "failure is not an option" is not something that is the responsibility of schools to teach, the primary responsibility for this rests with the parents.

Mom and I were very worried for a few years there but WE were committed to the idea that, when it came to our childs education, that failure was not an option.

>>>>

Yes, you are correct.

But what if parents do NOT take on this responsibility?

This is the fact about which this school, and many other are dealing. If every parent taught that failure wasn't an option, then schools wouldn't have a significant problem with failing grades, now would they?

I was speaking to your comment, "Failure is not a bad thing it shows a person what they need to improve on," and its application to the thread....You recall the thread, right?

In the context of applying failure as a lesson to children who are quite familiar with it, the comment is ludicrous.

I bet its obvious to an intellectual giant like yourself that shit is also bad in which to wallow.

But, something has somehow illuded your keen mind: No one wants to wallow in shit or failure. 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, lots of kids have no choice but be in the company of failure. When they go to school, then they should have no choice but to be in the company of success.

No one wants to wallow in failure but they do. Those are the people who like to blame others for things that are their own fault. I am sure a smart guy like you have seen those kind of people.

Example Longhner is one of those type that wallowed in his failures, people who go postal are those who wallow in their failure.

Last edited:
>

>>>>

Yes, you are correct.

This is the fact about which this school, and many other are dealing. If every parent taught that failure wasn't an option, then schools wouldn't have a significant problem with failing grades, now would they?

One major problem here is that for some reason schools have been directed to throw all kids into the same classroom with no regard for ability, interest, or any other factors. The motivated kids with highly involved parents are in the same class as the kids who don't have that luxury. These unmotivated (no fault of their own) kids feel even more of a failure in that environment. Through some miracle, though, all these kids are supposed to immerge equally educated. Its a federal directive - do it our way or forfeit the funding.

No one wants to wallow in failure but they do. Those are the people who like to blame others for things that are their own fault. I am sure a smart guy like you have seen those kind of people.

Example Longhner is one of those type that wallowed in his failures, people who go postal are those who wallow in their failure.

I think you are talking about ADULTS.

This thread is not about adults. It is about kids. I have not seen kids that, "wallow in their own failure."

>

>>>>

Yes, you are correct.

One major problem here is that for some reason schools have been directed to throw all kids into the same classroom with no regard for ability, interest, or any other factors. The motivated kids with highly involved parents are in the same class as the kids who don't have that luxury. These unmotivated (no fault of their own) kids feel even more of a failure in that environment. Through some miracle, though, all these kids are supposed to immerge equally educated. Its a federal directive - do it our way or forfeit the funding.

A couple of items:
1. How much federal funding do you suppose a school gets from the feds?

2. When you say "schools have been directed to throw all kids into the same classroom with no regard for ability," you must mean elementary schools. Post-elementary, this is not the case.

3. Parents of elementary school kids have a choice: Secure knowledge, skills and employment that pays enough to allow them to afford private schooling for their offspring. Otherwise expect PUBLIC school to contain the PUBLIC: a complete cross section of their local population.

A couple of items:

expend.gif

From the chart above it can be seen that generally 90-95% of the funding for schools comes from non-federal sources.

Most of that money is allocated to Special Education and Title 1 (for poor neighborhoods).

2. When you say "schools have been directed to throw all kids into the same classroom with no regard for ability," you must mean elementary schools. Post-elementary, this is not the case.

I work in the Human Resources and I'm responsible for reporting teacher status to our State Department of Education as required under federal mandate under No Child Left Behind (NCLB). We are required to report each teacher, each class they teach, and whether they are "Highly Qualified" (HQ) in the subject matter. (To be HQ there are two tests that are conducted. #1 - Is the teacher properly licensed. #2 - The teacher of record must be properly endorsed for the subject taught.) In the past Special Education teachers were endorsed based on student disability, not on subject matter.

One of the consequences of that legislation is that special education students are being pushed into general education classrooms, a process called "Inclusion". One of the reasons is that because of NCLB, a Special Education teacher who is the "teacher of record" for a self-contained class must carry the additional subject matter endorsements. By shifting towards the inclusion model there are two teachers in the room - the Special Ed teacher for the disabled students, and the general education teacher who is the "teacher of record" for the subject matter for reporting purposes.

3. Parents of elementary school kids have
a choice: Secure knowledge, skills and employment that pays enough to allow them to afford private schooling for their offspring. Otherwise expect PUBLIC school to contain the PUBLIC: a complete cross section of their local population.

Because we don't mandate "tracking" in our schools, the other option if you have a bright student (especially in the higher grades) is to try to get them placed in honors classes, Advanced Placement classes, or International Baccalaureate programs if available. Normally lower performing students are going to self-select out of the more demanding academic programs.

The other advanctage to AP and IB programs is that your child will start college with credits already on their record. Academically our daughter, who is now in college, is classified as a second semester Junior while chronologically she is a second semester Sophomore. She started college with 27 semester hours of her general education credits already taken care of because of AP and 4-years of High School Foreign Language classes.

>>>>

Last edited:
I can't stand all of this no failures, no losers, attitudes we've taken on with children in this country. I've learned MUCH more from my failures than I ever have from my accomplishments. I'm sorry people-but nobody's perfect, and everyone fails at some things-including your kids. Personal responsibility is disappearing in our culture.

I work in the Human Resources and I'm responsible for reporting teacher status to our State Department of Education as required under federal mandate under No Child Left Behind (NCLB). We are required to report each teacher, each class they teach, and whether they are "Highly Qualified" (HQ) in the subject matter. (To be HQ there are two tests that are conducted. #1 - Is the teacher properly licensed. #2 - The teacher of record must be properly endorsed for the subject taught.) In the past Special Education teachers were endorsed based on student disability, not on subject matter.

One of the consequences of that legislation is that special education students are being pushed into general education classrooms, a process called "Inclusion". One of the reasons is that because of NCLB, a Special Education teacher who is the "teacher of record" for a self-contained class must carry the additional subject matter endorsements. By shifting towards the inclusion model there are two teachers in the room - the Special Ed teacher for the disabled students, and the general education teacher who is the "teacher of record" for the subject matter for reporting purposes.

a choice: Secure knowledge, skills and employment that pays enough to allow them to afford private schooling for their offspring. Otherwise expect PUBLIC school to contain the PUBLIC: a complete cross section of their local population.

Because we don't mandate "tracking" in our schools, the other option if you have a bright student (especially in the higher grades) is to try to get them placed in honors classes, Advanced Placement classes, or International Baccalaureate programs if available. Normally lower performing students are going to self-select out of the more demanding academic programs.

The other advanctage to AP and IB programs is that your child will start college with credits already on their record. Academically our daughter, who is now in college, is classified as a second semester Junior while chronologically she is a second semester Sophomore. She started college with 27 semester hours of her general education credits already taken care of because of AP and 4-years of High School Foreign Language classes.

>>>>

Good info Chief. I teach up the road from you in NOVA. I'm thinking about getting a SPED endorsement as I already have more students with IEPs than most SPED teachers have. I have 170 students in six classes while some SPED rooms have anywhere from 6-10 students. My courses are CTE electives so the impact on academics isn't as bad as in the core courses. Discipline is the biggest difference in the SPED vs. regular education student in my classes. Both of my kids were IB students and graduated from the school in which I teach. The IB program and the rest of the students are like two different schools in the same building. I see no problem with that as some students would be held way back if in class with lower performing students. Some people are meant for higher learning opportunities and some are not.

Last edited:
A couple of items:

expend.gif

From the chart above it can be seen that generally 90-95% of the funding for schools comes from non-federal sources.

Most of that money is allocated to Special Education and Title 1 (for poor neighborhoods).

>>>>

This is one of the best, most comprehensive replies to any post in this entire sub-forum.

Several things that need comment:

1. While most, if not all, Federal funding goes to Federally Mandated programs associated with Tiltle I, and IDEA (Special Education), these funds are a fraction of the costs of the mandates. The balance of the funding comes from State and local taxes.

2. Starting college with 27 semester credits is a commendable acheivement. However, I caution anyone wishing to do this that CREDIT might NOT be applied to GPA (depends on the college or university).

The danger being that intelligent Freshman that take 27 hour of basic math, science, english, history, and make "A's" in these relatively easy courses will have a 4.0 GPA. If they take 27 more hours, and they make "B's" in these increasingly difficult courses courses, then their GPA = 3.5

HOWEVER, the student that tested out of the initial 27 hours and made "B's" in all the subsequent 27 course hours would have a GPA = 3.0

When both of our hypothetically intelligent students graduate, the one with the higher GPA will be hired before the one with lower GPA.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back