Failure is impossible for high school students! (No, really)

Two Thumbs

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2010
Where ever I go, there I am.
Failure is impossible for high school students! (No, really) on Shine

by Mira Jacob, Shine staff, 17 hours ago

Earlier this year, the school all but eradicated the standard mark for “failure”, instead supplying wayward students with the letter “I” for incomplete. So what does an “I” give you that an “F” doesn’t? Time to redeem yourself, for starters. Students with an “I” on their report card can (literally) learn their lesson and catch up over the year, at which point they will be given a grade for their mastery of the material, just like any other student.

So is this an inspired move to get those marginal students on track and learning, or just another way in which we’re coddling underachieving kids and hobbling the rest? Parents, educators and students are divided.

That's just nuts. Anyone that Fails gets do-overs w/o haveing to face the fact that they failed.

How weak do we think our kids are that some people think our kids can't handle getting an F?

I'm very proud of our local school system, they also change the lettering system. It goes;

A
B
C
Failure

and you get as many do-overs you want. They call it "taken the course all over again".

there should be different levels of high school graduation. one qualifying for further academics and one to show that the graduate has the character necessary to attend classes and acquire minimal standards.

Is success meaningful?

What good are straight A's in useless garbage?

Why can't we make book lists of meaningful information available to the kids? Those that want to use them can. The problem is that there is so much junk out there now how can people self educate even if they want to.

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics, Fourth Edition : McGraw-Hill Professional Online Book Store

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Tyranny-Words-Stuart-Chase/dp/0156923947]Amazon.com: Tyranny Of Words (9780156923941): Stuart Chase: Books: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]
The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Year When Stardust Fell, by Raymond F. Jones.

psik

Is success meaningful?

What good are straight A's in useless garbage?

Why can't we make book lists of meaningful information available to the kids? Those that want to use them can. The problem is that there is so much junk out there now how can people self educate even if they want to.

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics, Fourth Edition : McGraw-Hill Professional Online Book Store

Amazon.com: Tyranny Of Words (9780156923941): Stuart Chase: Books: Reviews, Prices & more
The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Year When Stardust Fell, by Raymond F. Jones.

psik

My duaghter had to fill her list of classes and ran out of Honors subjects, so she has taken "Pop culture" (think E Entertainment marries the History channel) and Mythology, not the religions, but ghosts, vampires, werewolves.

I don't mind that much b/c my kids are going to college or they will be homeless the day after they turn 18, but other kids can fill thier day with useless crap like this.

Forum List

Back