factorys at 12 year high

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
Factory activity grows at fastest pace in 7 years: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money

Factory activity expanded in January at the fastest pace in nearly seven years, as manufacturers reported a sharp jump in new orders.

Still, builders spent less on projects in December, pushing annual construction spending down to a decade low.

The Institute for Supply Management, a private trade group, said Tuesday that its index of manufacturing activity rose last month to 60.8, from 58.5 in December. The sector has expanded for 18 straight months, and January's reading was the highest since May 2004. Any reading above 50 indicates expansion.

• Banned
My bad , I dont know where I got the 12 from its 7 not 12

Last edited:
  • Banned
Ummm guys this is good news for the US.

This will translate into more jobs.

Why does the right seem to want us not to revcover?

Factory activity grows at fastest pace in 7 years: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money

Factory activity expanded in January at the fastest pace in nearly seven years, as manufacturers reported a sharp jump in new orders.

Still, builders spent less on projects in December, pushing annual construction spending down to a decade low.

The Institute for Supply Management, a private trade group, said Tuesday that its index of manufacturing activity rose last month to 60.8, from 58.5 in December. The sector has expanded for 18 straight months, and January's reading was the highest since May 2004. Any reading above 50 indicates expansion.

Big difference between growing fastest in 12 years and being at a 12 year high (or 7).

If I used to make a million shingles a month and business declined so much that I only make 100 shingles a month then one month I make 200 shingles, that's a 100% increase. Sounds good except it's nowhere near a million.

Ummm guys this is good news for the US.

You don't know that just by the information given. Are the firms profitable or just barely hanging on?

This will translate into more jobs.

You don't know that by just the information given. Are the factories at high enough capacity to hire more workers or are there still only part time shifts?

Why does the right seem to want us not to revcover?
:cuckoo:

• Banned
Did you even read it?

Manufacturers added 136,000 jobs in 2010, the first annual net gain since 1997. And the trade group's employment index last month rose to its highest level since 1973.

Still, the sector lost almost 2.2 million jobs in 2008 and 2009. And manufacturers have managed to boost output in recent years by making their operations more efficient and getting more work out of the employees they already have.

Brian Bethune, an economist at IHS Global Insight, said he expects manufacturers will likely add about 10,000 to 15,000 jobs a month for the first few months this year. The January jobs report will be released Friday.

One reason that hiring expectations are rising is that new orders, export orders, and order backlogs all rose in January. That suggests U.S. factories will continue to increase output in the coming months.

"These companies have been running lean and mean, and now they've got an orders backlog," Bethune said. That's likely to push them add some workers, he said.

Did you even read it?

Manufacturers added 136,000 jobs in 2010, the first annual net gain since 1997. And the trade group's employment index last month rose to its highest level since 1973.

Still, the sector lost almost 2.2 million jobs in 2008 and 2009. And manufacturers have managed to boost output in recent years by making their operations more efficient and getting more work out of the employees they already have.

Brian Bethune, an economist at IHS Global Insight, said he expects manufacturers will likely add about 10,000 to 15,000 jobs a month for the first few months this year. The January jobs report will be released Friday.

One reason that hiring expectations are rising is that new orders, export orders, and order backlogs all rose in January. That suggests U.S. factories will continue to increase output in the coming months.

"These companies have been running lean and mean, and now they've got an orders backlog," Bethune said. That's likely to push them add some workers, he said.

2.2 million jobs lost and you think we should be excited about 136 thousand new jobs? Less then 10 percent? Hell barely over 5 percent of the losses?

Did you even read it?

Yes. And it seems that unlike you, I understood it.

Nothing about that shows improvement, it's just not quite as dismal. Getting worse at a slower pace is not the same as getting better.

Meaningless prediction.

A good January doesn't necessarily mean a good February, March, April, or anything else.

I'll believe it when I see it. Bethune isn't exactly known for making correct predictions:

Mortgage rates sink again in most recent week - Apr. 2, 2009

Swine flu could mean new threat to US and global economy

Inflation a no-show in July, likely to stay muted

Those are all from 2009, all of them wrong.

Factory jobs should be added throughout the year. The labor shortage in China is causing more missed shipments all the time and labor laws in the EU make investment there uneconomic at an increasing rate so manufacturing will contribute more to GDP in the coming year. But will it affect unemployment? No.

Hoppefully this trend will continue TM.
I am still convinced that we will not soar any more though and will have to learn to be satisfied with less.

Hoppefully this trend will continue TM.
I am still convinced that we will not soar any more though and will have to learn to be satisfied with less.
Most of what you are saying is artifact. Buying "Northworld Trilogy" for free as an ebook to replace the hardcopy I already have saves me room but counts as zero GDP. Buying "Citadel" for $6 as an ebook gets the editor and author their money while saving me $12 but that savings counts as a decrease in GDP. My wife Gail going for the ATT verse package decreases GDP $70-110/month even though we get more services. GDP may be the least crappy measure of economic activity that can be devised but that does not make it non-crap. Economists have been using all kinds of garbage like hedonics to try to shoehorn a post-industrial economy into a 19th century model for a very long time. And you don't have to look beyond this board to find lots of examples of well educated people reaching the wrong conclusions:

Pinqy's threads on UE. In the developed world it is effectively impossible to work up a reasonably decent measurement of economic distress that captures what is going on in the laborforce.

My threads on bio-tech fuel. Right this minute sustained oil price rises over $80/bbl are not possible because there are already bio-tech fuels that can meet that price. I expect to see that cap to be below $60/bbl within one year. And that will cause at least a 5% decline in world economic output because that much write offs in the oil patches of the world is going to be a major shock. Current acquisition costs have been in the $50/bbl range for a long time but with current transport costs that means acquisition costs will be capped in the $30-40 range.

You can look around at the massive closures of all sorts of software stores: audio, video and print. Banks are going to join that parade soon.

So it depends on what you mean by soar as to what you can expect.

Soar? ohh another way to say that is that our golden age is passed. Jobs for everyone that really wants one, easy credit, lots of discretionary spending, etc.

It is an inevitable result of free trade and globalization. The living standards in the rich countries drop and go up in the poorer ones.

Soar? ohh another way to say that is that our golden age is passed. Jobs for everyone that really wants one, easy credit, lots of discretionary spending, etc.

It is an inevitable result of free trade and globalization. The living standards in the rich countries drop and go up in the poorer ones.

Trickle Up Poverty.... good book, read it!

What the article leaves out:

1990...50 factories report 5% gain in production.
2011...15 factories report a 7% gain in production.

Headline of the aricle...
"Factories are reporting production in 2011 is 2% better than 1990"

Get it?

What the article leaves out:

1990...50 factories report 5% gain in production.
2011...15 factories report a 7% gain in production.

Headline of the aricle...
"Factories are reporting production in 2011 is 2% better than 1990"

Get it?

Forum List

Back