Factories having trouble finding workers

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- GenMet is a growing Wisconsin metal fabricating company that would be growing much faster if it could find one thing -- skilled workers.

"Currently we employ just over 70 people," said Mary Isbister, the company's president. "We would be able to double revenue this year if we could find 20 more."

Isbister said she's been turning work down on a daily basis because she needs more welders and workers to operate her laser cutters. Other manufacturers report shortages of electricians and machinists who can operate their computer-controlled equipment.

Snip...

experts in manufacturing staffing say that many of the factory workers who find themselves without a job simply don't have the specialized skills now in short supply.

Factories having trouble finding skilled workers - Mar. 11, 2011

My sister saw this coming years ago, and is why my son is finishing up in a diesel program. He got in ahead of the curve, thank goodness.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- GenMet is a growing Wisconsin metal fabricating company that would be growing much faster if it could find one thing -- skilled workers.

"Currently we employ just over 70 people," said Mary Isbister, the company's president. "We would be able to double revenue this year if we could find 20 more."

Isbister said she's been turning work down on a daily basis because she needs more welders and workers to operate her laser cutters. Other manufacturers report shortages of electricians and machinists who can operate their computer-controlled equipment.

Snip...

experts in manufacturing staffing say that many of the factory workers who find themselves without a job simply don't have the specialized skills now in short supply.

Could teachers do the job?

• Banned
My sister saw this coming years ago, and is why my son is finishing up in a diesel program. He got in ahead of the curve, thank goodness.

I had heard that enrollment for trade schools was up...and the interesting thing was that the students enrolling were much older....in their 30's,40's and above.

Makes sense. A lot of people have BA degrees with no market value. A trade school is a step up.

Snip...

Could teachers do the job?

Highly unlikely since it actually requies knowledge of the subject.

Makes sense. A lot of people have BA degrees with no market value. A trade school is a step up.

Except in certain skilled trades. Dental assistant, vet assistant, those programs I agree are a bunch of hype and no guarantee of payback...

But in fields like plumbing, metal work, diesel...the guys that make it through those programs are gold. So long as they're willing to go where the work is.

I love seeing Democrats find employment. Imagine if Republicans actually "promoted" education. It would be much more difficult for Democrats to find a job. It's much easier with half of America out of the running.

That particular factory might be having trouble. Does not mean ALL factories are having that trouble.

Maybe not all of them,but according to some of the temp staffing companies, skilled trades are the hardest jobs for them to fill right now and this could get worse. This is true in the US and also abroad (effecting at least 36 other countries...per the article referenced in the link). Another factor listed is that due to the skilled workers currently in this field being older, they will retire soon leaving an even bigger gap in the manufacturing industry.

Last edited:

I think some reasons trades such as welding and machine work (for example) are overlooked is because people fear the industry is unstable. It's also not very glamorus and it's pretty physical. I worked in manufacturing for a while and I did not envy the men in the shop. Long hours, plus conditions in the plant could be pretty bad depending on the weather (especially in the summer months). They made good money though.

I think some reasons trades such as welding and machine work (for example) are overlooked is because people fear the industry is unstable. It's also not very glamorus and it's pretty physical. I worked in manufacturing for a while and I did not envy the men in the shop. Long hours, plus conditions in the plant could be pretty bad depending on the weather (especially in the summer months). They made good money though.

Ditto for the oil/gas industry: They are dieing to hire anyone with a clean Commercial Driver's License, but the skill and knowledge to drive a truck combined with the ability to remain clean and sober are in short supply.

I love seeing Democrats find employment. Imagine if Republicans actually "promoted" education. It would be much more difficult for Democrats to find a job. It's much easier with half of America out of the running.

I'm not sure i understand your thesis here.

Are you saying that the republicans are the one who are trying to stop the teaching of the 3 R's in favor of sensitivity training to assure that all children beleive that it's better to be a minority gay than to be an English speaking, employed middle class worker?

I guess I missed this in Ronnie's State of the Union speeches.

I've been seeing these stories for years and I'm a little suspicious.
From the link:
"If you look at the pipeline and the vocational colleges, it's not an area that has been replenished," he said. "It needs to be explained that these are good jobs that are difficult to outsource."And this is a problem that is likely to get worse for manufacturers, particularly as the labor market recovers and the skilled workers now on the job get closer and closer to retirement
Businesses don't see a stream of people from vocational colleges yet can't outsource (Send jobs overseas or hire illegal aliens) so what is their solution?

Lobby the government for more work visas. It's cheaper for them to import a worker and give him or her a visa than train an American. Or maybe they just don't want to employ an American because they can abuse or intimidate a foreign worker better?

Americans will do these jobs but not for the pay scales these businesses are offering.

Hmmm.

Last edited:

I'm not sure i understand your thesis here.

Are you saying that the republicans are the one who are trying to stop the teaching of the 3 R's in favor of sensitivity training to assure that all children beleive that it's better to be a minority gay than to be an English speaking, employed middle class worker?

I guess I missed this in Ronnie's State of the Union speeches.
You'll have to forgive rdean, he thinks Democrats are the solution to everything (despite all the evidence to the contrary) and hasn't stopped worshiping at the Altar of Obama since he was immaculated.

That particular factory might be having trouble. Does not mean ALL factories are having that trouble.

Maybe not all of them,but according to some of the temp staffing companies, skilled trades are the hardest jobs for them to fill right now and this could get worse. This is true in the US and also abroad (effecting at least 36 other countries...per the article referenced in the link). Another factor listed is that due to the skilled workers currently in this field being older, they will retire soon leaving an even bigger gap in the manufacturing industry.
Most industrial facilities remedy this by investing in people with some training, at the workplace. They hire them and put them in a apprentice program for the job needed filled. Works very well.

Most industrial facilities remedy this by investing in people with some training, at the workplace. They hire them and put them in a apprentice program for the job needed filled. Works very well.

A lot do hire within and move employees up through the ranks. Many of the people I worked with in manufacturing (and in distribution even) have been with the same company for years and years and were promoted many times. Which kind of also stresses the point that once the more skilled workers reach retirement...there is going to be a gap...especially if new (and younger) workers aren't interested in going to school to learn the trade, and they aren't able to back fill.

A lot do hire within and move employees up through the ranks. Many of the people I worked with in manufacturing (and in distribution even) have been with the same company for years and years and were promoted many times. Which kind of also stresses the point that once the more skilled workers reach retirement...there is going to be a gap...especially if new (and younger) workers aren't interested in going to school to learn the trade, and they aren't able to back fill.
Of course, I wasn't talking about trade school.

Apprentice programs such as I was discussing continue right now, and continue to work. Factories who use this method won't be in articles such as the one in the OP, whining about not being able to find skilled workers.

Apprentice programs such as I was discussing continue right now, and continue to work. Factories who use this method won't be in articles such as the one in the OP, whining about not being able to find skilled workers.

I'm sure they do work,but you would still need a basic knowlege of welding skills. Some of the ones I've seen that have been required are Oxy-fuel welding and brazing ,Flux-Core Arc Welding (FCAW),Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW), Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)... probably others. As well as a certain amount of knowledge about how to use other equipment such as cutting machines etc...Most do make you take a welding test to qualify.

Last edited:

I'm sure they do work,but you would still need a basic knowlege of welding skills. Some of the ones I've seen that have been required are Oxy-fuel welding and brazing ,Flux-Core Arc Welding (FCAW),Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW), Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) probably others. As well as how to use other equipment such as cutting machines etc...Most do make you take a welding test to qualify.
It of course depends on the job requirements. many jobs in factories require no welding/brazing skills at all.

Forum List

Back