Factcheck.org.."Obama misrepresented Rep. Foxx on college debt"

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
President Obama misrepresented the position of Republican Rep. Virginia Foxx on college debt.
The president quoted Foxx as saying that she had “very little tolerance for people who tell me they graduate with debt.” But Foxx was speaking explicitly about those with very large amounts of debt, a fact that Obama omitted and that changes the meaning of the North Carolina congresswoman’s statement.

The sin of omission was in Obama’s speech in Boulder, Colo., as the president pushed for the extension of current federal student loan interest rates.

The president’s remarks suggest that any college student who graduates with debt is intolerable to Foxx, but that’s not accurate.
She explicitly mentions only students with very high debt burdens — above $80,000.
This is well above the average level of college debt even at the most expensive universities.

What she said:
"I have very little tolerance for people who tell me that they graduate with $200,000 of debt or even $80,000 of debt because there’s no reason for that. We live in an opportunity society and people are forgetting that. I remind folks all the time that the Declaration of Independence says ‘life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.’ You don’t sit on your butt and have it dumped in your lap."

Factcheck.org is now the rights darling? Kewl! President Obama didn't get thr quote exact, it"s true, but his opponent doesn't get his facts correct at all.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/04/romney-fundraising-pitch-skews-stats/

In a March fundraising letter to Floridians, Mitt Romney skews economic statistics under President Barack Obama. Among the letter’s claims:
■ Romney says the numbers for unemployment, bankruptcies and foreclosures are “soaring.” That’s simply not true. They all started rising sharply under Bush, continued to rise for a time under Obama, but then peaked and are currently declining.
■Romney claims Obama stood over “the greatest job loss in modern American history.” But more jobs were lost under his predecessor.
■The former governor is wrong when he claims Obama increased the budget by more than 20 percent. Romney attributes to Obama a big rise in spending for fiscal year 2009 — which began under Bush, nearly four months before Obama took office. Spending in Obama’s latest budget is proposed to be about 8 percent higher than the fiscal 2009 spending levels.

http://factcheck.org/UploadedFiles/2012/04/Romney-letter.pdf

So, according to Rep. Foxx, only students who accumulate 80k or more in college loan debt are lazy. Got it. Thanks for clearing that up :lol:

When Foxx continues, it seems that's exactly what she meant. Much dupe rage about nothing. As always, the Dems are almost saintly in comparison with the GOP, who base their entire machine on lies, outright fraud, greed, and dishonesty...

Last edited:
Barry twisted the truth?!?!?!?

Shocked...
Ginny got LESS crazy??????

:eusa_eh:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIvRBkLHXUM]Rep. Foxx Claims Republicans Were Responsible For Civil Rights - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDxu65WR8v0]Rep. Virginia Foxx Rachel Maddow - YouTube[/ame]
October 10, 2008
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2i--gV2pfY]Virginia Foxx Denies Recession - YouTube[/ame]​

Hey.. you argue with FactCheck.org which MORE often sides with Obama than they point out this gross exaggeration! I am NOT a FactCheck.org fan as it is funded by the Annenberg foundation the same people that funded Obama and Obama was on their board with Bill Ayers while in Chicago!

So I have absolutely NO hesitation in using their checking of the gross exaggeration and misrepresentation that Obama did with Ms. Foxx!

They and Politifact.org STILL haven't explained Obama's gross exaggeration of what the health care cost reductions could do at the time to the national debt when he said this totally inane uninformed statement..
"And if we are able to slow the growth of health care costs by just one-tenth of 1 percent each year
one-tenth of 1 percent -- it will actually reduce the deficit by $4 trillion over the long term."

Health expenditures in the United States neared $2.6 trillion in 2010, over ten times the $256 billion spent in 1980.
U.S. Health Care Costs: Issue Modules, Background Brief - KaiserEDU.org, Health Policy Education from the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

So 1/10th of 1 percent pf health care growth $2,555,000,000.
so If the $4 trillion deficit is cut by $2.5 billion how long is a "long term"...
Dividing $4 trillion by $2.5 billion... how many years..:1,600 years...
1,600 years!

President Obama misrepresented the position of Republican Rep. Virginia Foxx on college debt.
The president quoted Foxx as saying that she had “very little tolerance for people who tell me they graduate with debt.” But Foxx was speaking explicitly about those with very large amounts of debt, a fact that Obama omitted and that changes the meaning of the North Carolina congresswoman’s statement.

The sin of omission was in Obama’s speech in Boulder, Colo., as the president pushed for the extension of current federal student loan interest rates.

The president’s remarks suggest that any college student who graduates with debt is intolerable to Foxx, but that’s not accurate.
She explicitly mentions only students with very high debt burdens — above $80,000.
This is well above the average level of college debt even at the most expensive universities.

What she said:
"I have very little tolerance for people who tell me that they graduate with $200,000 of debt or even $80,000 of debt because there’s no reason for that. We live in an opportunity society and people are forgetting that. I remind folks all the time that the Declaration of Independence says ‘life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.’ You don’t sit on your butt and have it dumped in your lap."

He's deliberately twisting her words to make it sound as if this is a problem created by Republicans. The Democrats did this.

It was Democrats who voted to double student loan rates and now they're all out there claiming they will stop their own increase from taking place. They deliberately choose this time for the rate increase so they could make it look like they were improving life for college grads in an election year. They create problems so they have a crisis to deal with to make themselves look good.

Obama occupies a world that exists only in his mind. A world with millions of green jobs saved or created. So no wonder that in his world the GOP is against student loans.
He is the biggest liar in the Oval Office since Richard Nixon.

Forum List

Back