FACT: Innocent man executed by Texas

I don't think an innocent person should even be convicted, much less get sentenced to prison and much much less get sentenced to death and FAR FAR FAR less get executed.

I want all trials to be PERFECT.

However .. here in the real world, they aren't.

So. Do we draw the line at the death penalty only?

Or do we abandon the system of trial by jury?

Perfection is perfection, after all. And ditto that for imperfection.

It pays to look it up because it isn't at all a FACT that an innocent man was executed. All reports say that it is only POSSIBLE that an innocent man was executed. It is also possible that he was guilty as hell.

It pays to look it up because it isn't at all a FACT that an innocent man was executed. All reports say that it is only POSSIBLE that an innocent man was executed. It is also possible that he was guilty as hell.

Well, he looked like the guy and he had the same name as the guy and he was there like the guy ... but ....

I don't think an innocent person should even be convicted, much less get sentenced to prison and much much less get sentenced to death and FAR FAR FAR less get executed.

My objection to the death penalty has less to do with wrongfully executing people or the long delays and huge expense, and more to do with the moral issue involved. I just think it is wrong for the state to execute people, regardless how horrible their crime might have been. LWOP? Of course. Just not death.

So do people support a policy that kills innoncent people?

A lot of people here support the death penalty. There are those here who (believe it or not) aren't all that sympathetic when they learn that an innocent person has been executed. Todays conservatives are a tough crowd.
How about the guy with about a 65 IQ, that Bubba snuffed in Arkansas to show how much of a tough guy he was?

My objection to the death penalty has less to do with wrongfully executing people or the long delays and huge expense, and more to do with the moral issue involved. I just think it is wrong for the state to execute people, regardless how horrible their crime might have been. LWOP? Of course. Just not death.

Shockingly, I am not a huge fan of the death penalty.

It is not necessarily morally offensive for the State to put some beast out of OUR collective misery.

But it is expensive and it is (and should be) troubling that in a world where the justice system is imperfect, the wrong man could be convicted, sentenced and executed. Later it's too late to say "oops."

On the pro side of the equation, I cannot help but think of how -- behind prison walls -- a guy sentenced to 125 years to life for 5 horrendous murders of a family (for some depraved reason) is in there KNOWING that no matter what he does, he can never get a realistically or meaningfully "worse" sentence. He can kill a correction officer with fucking impunity. He could kill a fellow inmate (either a true low life or some poor bastard who is there only until his appeal sets him free) and NEVER have to worry about consequences.

I maintain that just as we have a right to self-defense in our homes, we as a society should be able to hold over his head the credible threat of sitting on old Sparky.

Last edited:

The question is do you only jail convicted murders of which some are inocnet or to you aslo kill them. Keep in mind killing htem costs more money

It is an imperfect world and the issue is do we err on the side of caution (letting notorious killers live with LWOP) or let God sort it out.

I am sure that some people were executed by the state and who were innocent before 1960 when criminal investigations were less scientific and confessions were routinely beaten out of suspects.

The question is do you only jail convicted murders of which some are inocnet or to you aslo kill them. Keep in mind killing htem costs more money

The death penalty is supposed to be pretty rare. Most killers don't GET sentenced to death.

If it was even rarer still, that would be fine.

But the REAL question is "isn't there some case or aren't there some instances where WE as a society NEED to be able to put a murderous criminal to death, if for no other reason than for the protection of other people?"

The money issue is not now and never really has been the point.

You don't get away with saying it's "fact" when it's the opinion of an agenda driven college professor and a couple of students who no doubt want to get an "A" in capital punishment 101.

Wrong man was executed in Texas, probe says - Yahoo! News

He was the spitting image of the killer, had the same first name and was near the scene of the crime at the fateful hour: Carlos DeLuna paid the ultimate price and was executed in place of someone else in Texas in 1989, a report out Tuesday found.

You really need to learn how to argue. Even when you get something right you present it so absurdly that people that agree with you are forced to question their convictions. The report you so casually throw out is 400 pages long, and the key part of the case is not the faulty eyewitness identification, it is the shoddy police work.

This article does a much better job of presenting the evidence.

The wrong Carlos: how Texas sent an innocent man to his death | World news | The Guardian

The entire article is available here.

Columbia Human Rights Law Review

So do people support a policy that kills innoncent people?

A lot of people here support the death penalty. There are those here who (believe it or not) aren't all that sympathetic when they learn that an innocent person has been executed. Todays conservatives are a tough crowd.

Be honest George, there are many of today's liberals who are just as casual about the death penalty killing innocent people as today's conservatives.

That sums it up. I don't trust the state to tell me what's good for me, I certainly can't trust them to kill the right people.

Wrong man was executed in Texas, probe says - Yahoo! News

He was the spitting image of the killer, had the same first name and was near the scene of the crime at the fateful hour: Carlos DeLuna paid the ultimate price and was executed in place of someone else in Texas in 1989, a report out Tuesday found.

This was a long time ago.

If the "real" killer confessed, where's the overturning of the conviction? why hasn't the family sued?

or any other proven, not opinion, facts that prove he was innocent?

seriously; he saw who did it, but wasn't man enough to call the cops or help the poor woman?

Forum List

Back