FACT CHECK: Obama and his imbalanced ledger

teapartysamurai

Gold Member
Mar 27, 2010
FACT CHECK: Obama and his imbalanced ledger - Bloomberg

Too long to quote, read it all here.

But it's just what you expect. More of the same liberal "how can we fool 'em today?"

Obama promises spending cuts, but he means to do nothing of the kind. Same kind of bait and switch liberals are always guilty of.

Examples:

OBAMA: Tackling the deficit "means further reducing health care costs, including programs like Medicare and Medicaid, which are the single biggest contributor to our long-term deficit. Health insurance reform will slow these rising costs, which is part of why nonpartisan economists have said that repealing the health care law would add a quarter of a trillion dollars to our deficit."

THE FACTS: The idea that Obama's health care law saves money for the government is based on some arguable assumptions.

To be sure, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office has estimated the law will slightly reduce red ink over 10 years. But the office's analysis assumes that steep cuts in Medicare spending, as called for in the law, will actually take place. Others in the government have concluded it is unrealistic to expect such savings from Medicare.

In recent years, for example, Congress has repeatedly overridden a law that would save the treasury billions by cutting deeply into Medicare pay for doctors. Just last month, the government once again put off the scheduled cuts for another year, at a cost of $19 billion. That money is being taken out of the health care overhaul. Congress has shown itself sensitive to pressure from seniors and their doctors, and there's little reason to think that will change.

OBAMA: Vowed to veto any bills sent to him that include "earmarks," pet spending provisions pushed by individual lawmakers. "Both parties in Congress should know this: If a bill comes to my desk with earmarks inside, I will veto it."

THE FACTS: House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, has promised that no bill with earmarks will be sent to Obama in the first place. Republicans have taken the lead in battling earmarks while Obama signed plenty of earmark-laden spending bills when Democrats controlled both houses. As recently as last month, Obama was prepared to sign a catchall spending measure stuffed with earmarks, before it collapsed in the Senate after an outcry from conservatives over the bill's $8 billion-plus in home-state pet projects.

It's a turnabout for the president; in early 2009, Obama sounded like an apologist for the practice: "Done right, earmarks have given legislators the opportunity to direct federal money to worthy projects that benefit people in their districts, and that's why I've opposed their outright elimination," he said then.

In other words Obama is lying to us again. No surprise here.

Expect liberals to start spinning like hell to claim a lie is not a lie. :cuckoo:

I thought his little quip about high speed trains was brilliant. Faster than air travel... and without the pat downs.... Hmmmm.... I guess he hasn't factored in the potential for this mode of transport to be a 'target' (sorry, I couldn't think of another less vitriolic word) for terrorist attacks. Ya know, like they have in Europe.

Obama - idiot.

FACT CHECK: Obama and his imbalanced ledger - Bloomberg

Too long to quote, read it all here.

But it's just what you expect. More of the same liberal "how can we fool 'em today?"

Obama promises spending cuts, but he means to do nothing of the kind. Same kind of bait and switch liberals are always guilty of.

Examples:

OBAMA: Tackling the deficit "means further reducing health care costs, including programs like Medicare and Medicaid, which are the single biggest contributor to our long-term deficit. Health insurance reform will slow these rising costs, which is part of why nonpartisan economists have said that repealing the health care law would add a quarter of a trillion dollars to our deficit."

THE FACTS: The idea that Obama's health care law saves money for the government is based on some arguable assumptions.

To be sure, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office has estimated the law will slightly reduce red ink over 10 years. But the office's analysis assumes that steep cuts in Medicare spending, as called for in the law, will actually take place. Others in the government have concluded it is unrealistic to expect such savings from Medicare.

In recent years, for example, Congress has repeatedly overridden a law that would save the treasury billions by cutting deeply into Medicare pay for doctors. Just last month, the government once again put off the scheduled cuts for another year, at a cost of $19 billion. That money is being taken out of the health care overhaul. Congress has shown itself sensitive to pressure from seniors and their doctors, and there's little reason to think that will change.

OBAMA: Vowed to veto any bills sent to him that include "earmarks," pet spending provisions pushed by individual lawmakers. "Both parties in Congress should know this: If a bill comes to my desk with earmarks inside, I will veto it."

THE FACTS: House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, has promised that no bill with earmarks will be sent to Obama in the first place. Republicans have taken the lead in battling earmarks while Obama signed plenty of earmark-laden spending bills when Democrats controlled both houses. As recently as last month, Obama was prepared to sign a catchall spending measure stuffed with earmarks, before it collapsed in the Senate after an outcry from conservatives over the bill's $8 billion-plus in home-state pet projects.

It's a turnabout for the president; in early 2009, Obama sounded like an apologist for the practice: "Done right, earmarks have given legislators the opportunity to direct federal money to worthy projects that benefit people in their districts, and that's why I've opposed their outright elimination," he said then.

In other words Obama is lying to us again. No surprise here.

Expect liberals to start spinning like hell to claim a lie is not a lie. :cuckoo:

Or just claim everybody lies so lying is a normal practice.

Let me know when they find that amount this year.... and next year... and the year after that... and the year after that... and the... you get the idea.

A one off serendipitous fraud recovery year does not make for sound fiscal policy. Idiot.

Thats just it, you are calling him a liar BEFORE the fact.

The ten years spoken of have NOT taken place yet BUT you here are pretending it has and that the rest of the fix isnt being worked on.

It is being worked on as we speak.

Let me know when they find that amount this year.... and next year... and the year after that... and the year after that... and the... you get the idea.

A one off serendipitous fraud recovery year does not make for sound fiscal policy. Idiot.

Thats just it, you are calling him a liar BEFORE the fact.

The ten years spoken of have NOT taken place yet BUT you here are pretending it has and that the rest of the fix isnt being worked on.

It is being worked on as we speak.

No, I'm not. I read the whole article.... and then I fact checked the fact check. You, on the other hand, have taken the easy route.... you didn't even bother the read the article. You presented bullshit as a counter to one single lie. The problem is, I don't think you're smart enough to understand why your response was bullshit.

What about the rest of his shit? Gonna ignore that?

To be sure, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office has estimated the law will slightly reduce red ink over 10 years. But the office's analysis assumes that steep cuts in Medicare spending, as called for in the law, will actually take place

Its one thing to say they are unrealistic and another to try to cut and then SEE that they are unrealistic.

You can not determine it unreal until they fail to cut it enough.

They have a four billion start dont they.

To be sure, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office has estimated the law will slightly reduce red ink over 10 years. But the office's analysis assumes that steep cuts in Medicare spending, as called for in the law, will actually take place

Its one thing to say they are unrealistic and another to try to cut and then SEE that they are unrealistic.

You can not determine it unreal until they fail to cut it enough.

They have a four billion start dont they.

You are aware that there's more than one lie in his speech, right? Or are you just gonna argue black is white on this one?

The other one highlighted by the OP is also NOT a lie.

He ssaid he will not sign a bill with earmarks.

Until he signs one after saying this it is not a lie.

Boner voted for bills with earmarks in them in the past also.

I just perused the article and there is not one lie in there.

Its all "Oh he said he would consider this or that last time" consider does not mean impliment folks.

You guys just keep falling for this politics by personality cult sleight of hand.

Here's a tip...it isn't all about Obama, it wasn't all about Bush II and it won't be about the next POTUS, either.

For some reason people who are conservative always fall for the personality thing.

Some are right bright yet still fall like logs every time

The other one highlighted by the OP is also NOT a lie.

He ssaid he will not sign a bill with earmarks.

Until he signs one after saying this it is not a lie.

Boner voted for bills with earmarks in them in the past also.

Damn near every bill he's signed has been filled with earmarks since his promise.

The numbers show that earmarks have not only not been stopped. Harry Reid's budget that was roundly rejected contained over $6 billion in earmarks.

Hes calling the republicans bluff.

They will have to pass the stuff they would have put in as earmarks as stand alone bills.

They will have to do them or they will not get re elected because one mans earmark is another mans delivery of a promise to his voters.

Forum List

Back