VIP Member
Feb 28, 2011
With one, comes the other:

Spring in U.S. was warmest ever recorded
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
June 9th, 2012
Catholic Online (Catholic Online)
Printer Friendly - Catholic Online

...Jake Crouch, who prepares the monthly climate reports for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, told msnbc.com. "The fact that the U.S. has been in a warm pattern for several months is continuing to be the big story.

"Two things really jump out at me" he says. Temperatures through June 2011 through May 2012 "broke the record for warmest consecutive 12 months, which we just broke last month."

For the first time in the 117 years of record keeping, each of the last 12 months ranked in the top third of the historical distribution...

...For the months of March, April, and May, "all ranked as top-ten warm" -- also the first time that's happened.

Overall, spring averaged 57.1 degrees -- 2 degrees above the previous record set in 1910 and 5.2 degrees above the 1901-2000 average for spring.

Summer, autumn and winter were all above average: 2.4 degrees last summer, 1.3 degrees in fall, and 3.9 degrees in winter...

And the flip side -

Melting Arctic ice will bring colder winters
Posted on June 7, 2012 - 05:38 by Kate Taylor
Melting Arctic ice will bring colder winters | TG Daily

..."Everyone thinks of Arctic climate change as this remote phenomenon that has little effect on our everyday lives," says Charles H Greene of Cornell University. "But what goes on in the Arctic remotely forces our weather patterns here."

As sea ice melts during summer, it exposes darker ocean water to incoming sunlight. This causes increased absorption of solar radiation and greater heating of the ocean in summer – further accelerating the ice melt.

The excess heat is released to the atmosphere, especially during the autumn, bringing the temperature and atmospheric pressure in the Arctic and middle latitudes closer together.

This lowering in the pressure gradient weakens the winds associated with the polar vortex and jet stream - and as the polar vortex normally retains cold Arctic air up above the Arctic Circle, its weakening allows it to invade lower latitudes.

"What's happening now is that we are changing the climate system, especially in the Arctic, and that's increasing the odds for the negative AO conditions that favor cold air invasions and severe winter weather outbreaks," says Greene. "It's something to think about, given our recent history."

While this past winter was one of the warmest recorded in the eastern US, there have been record snow storms in the region over the last two years.

"It's a great demonstration of the complexities of our climate system and how they influence our regional weather patterns," says Greene...

June 9th, 2012

...Jake Crouch, who prepares the monthly climate reports for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, told msnbc.com. "The fact that the U.S. has been in a warm pattern for several months is continuing to be the big story.

"Two things really jump out at me" he says. Temperatures through June 2011 through May 2012 "broke the record for warmest consecutive 12 months, which we just broke last month."

For the first time in the 117 years of record keeping, each of the last 12 months ranked in the top third of the historical distribution...

...For the months of March, April, and May, "all ranked as top-ten warm" -- also the first time that's happened.

Overall, spring averaged 57.1 degrees -- 2 degrees above the previous record set in 1910 and 5.2 degrees above the 1901-2000 average for spring.

Summer, autumn and winter were all above average: 2.4 degrees last summer, 1.3 degrees in fall, and 3.9 degrees in winter...

And the flip side -

..."Everyone thinks of Arctic climate change as this remote phenomenon that has little effect on our everyday lives," says Charles H Greene of Cornell University. "But what goes on in the Arctic remotely forces our weather patterns here."

As sea ice melts during summer, it exposes darker ocean water to incoming sunlight. This causes increased absorption of solar radiation and greater heating of the ocean in summer – further accelerating the ice melt.

The excess heat is released to the atmosphere, especially during the autumn, bringing the temperature and atmospheric pressure in the Arctic and middle latitudes closer together.

This lowering in the pressure gradient weakens the winds associated with the polar vortex and jet stream - and as the polar vortex normally retains cold Arctic air up above the Arctic Circle, its weakening allows it to invade lower latitudes.

"What's happening now is that we are changing the climate system, especially in the Arctic, and that's increasing the odds for the negative AO conditions that favor cold air invasions and severe winter weather outbreaks," says Greene. "It's something to think about, given our recent history."

While this past winter was one of the warmest recorded in the eastern US, there have been record snow storms in the region over the last two years.

"It's a great demonstration of the complexities of our climate system and how they influence our regional weather patterns," says Greene...

The arctic Sea Ice Extent is greater right now is = or > than 5 of the last 6 years.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/files/2012/06/Figure2.png

Last edited:
CLIMATE CHANGE, and it is either happening, or the NWS is UNDER funded. Hour after hour the forecast has been off today, the line of storms is just now hitting NE Florida, Escambia county has declared a state of emergency, and the high was 80 here. NOT June weather where I live.

"Ever recorded" you say? Ice core samples show weather changes that would knock your socks off. Does the global warming left think the world was created a hundred and fifty years ago?

So how easy should it be to get a 3 degree temperature increase by adding 50ppm of CO2 to a controlled lab experiment?

It was 48 degrees right now, why isn't it warm here? Answer me that.

I don't know but I would take 48 degrees, to get rid of thunderstorms right now, I am terrified of big storms.

It was 48 degrees right now, why isn't it warm here? Answer me that.

I don't know but I would take 48 degrees, to get rid of thunderstorms right now, I am terrified of big storms.

We had a week ago when it was actually warm, I love them..

And we had 85 degree days in February this year, but without the summer bombs; I hate them, though I would not leave Florida because of them. The lakes & ponds are low, with Beryl, we have had at least 7-8 inches of rain in the two weeks days.

And we had 85 degree days in February this year, but without the summer bombs; I hate them, though I would not leave Florida because of them. The lakes & ponds are low, with Beryl, we have had at least 7-8 inches of rain in the two weeks days.

Oh! You are in Florida? I might not like the thunderstorms there. My friend lives in South Beach and posts pics from his high rise condo( he has a sugar daddy), and they do not look friendly.

June 9th, 2012

And the flip side -

The arctic Sea Ice Extent is greater right now is = or > than 5 of the last 6 years.

Really?

Northern Hemisphere Sea Ice Area

So how easy should it be to get a 3 degree temperature increase by adding 50ppm of CO2 to a controlled lab experiment?

So it is natural, why exacerbate the situation?

In the long history of the world there is a wealth of evidence that the rise and fall of temperature cause the rise and fall of CO2.

Old Rocks is fond of pointing to the thin evidence that 3 times in 4.5 billion years, there may have been a reversal of this cause-effect relationship and asks us to believe that geological evidence from millions of years ago can define a difference of a couple hundred years to show that the demonstrated cause effect relationship was reversed.

You could pull a hammy with this stretch.

Before there is any talk of exacerbating anything, there should be proof that the cause-effect to which you point actually works.

So far, there is no proof.

Oh! You are in Florida? I might not like the thunderstorms there. My friend lives in South Beach and posts pics from his high rise condo( he has a sugar daddy), and they do not look friendly.

I know your avatar is Mike Meyers, but don't recall the role he was playing in that picture...

June 9th, 2012

And the flip side -

Really?

Northern Hemisphere Sea Ice Area

Yup! Really.

Sure wasn't very cold 2011-2012 Winter. A lot of days were above 30 degress and NOAA said we had 50% less snowfall. 11.5 inches of snow is the most anyone in Illinois saw. Hell...it rained more then it snowed.

Watch this

Sure wasn't very cold 2011-2012 Winter. A lot of days were above 30 degress and NOAA said we had 50% less snowfall. 11.5 inches of snow is the most anyone in Illinois saw. Hell...it rained more then it snowed because of manmade global warming

You can use the phrase "Because of manmade global warming just like "That's what she said!" and stick it at the end of almost any sentence

So it is natural, why exacerbate the situation?

Describe the mechanism by which you believe CO2 has the power to warm the atmosphere. It absorbs IR and then emits the IR that it absorbed. In effect, it scatters IR which is a cooling mechanism.

CO2 has no power to exacerbate anything.

You can use the phrase "Because of manmade global warming just like "That's what she said!" and stick it at the end of almost any sentence

If there were just some sort of evidence to support their side of the argument this whole thing would be a hell of a lot more interesting. They show link after link of evidence of climate change (surprise surprise) and simply assume that it is due to some sort of anthropogenic cause. Science would be so easy (and as screwed up as climate pseudoscience) if you could simply assume a cause rather than actually have to produce evidence for the cause.

Forum List

Back