Facebook Threatens Pallyworld

JStone

Rookie
Jun 29, 2011

PA Arrests Another Reporter Over Facebook Post :clap2:
Palestinian Authority security forces in the West Bank Sunday night arrested another Palestinian journalist for posting a critical comment on Facebook.

Agents belonging to the PA’s Preventive Security Service in Ramallah arrested Tarek Khamis, who works for the Palestinian Zaman Press news agency, for criticizing the PA’s current clampdown on Palestinian journalists in the West Bank, a Palestinian journalist told The Jerusalem Post.

He said that Khamis was taken into custody after he wrote a comment that referred specifically to the recent arrest of female journalist and blogger Esmat Abdel Khalik.

She was arrested last week after she posted derogatory remarks about PA President Mahmoud Abbas on her Facebook page.

Adnan Damiri, spokesman for the PA security forces, said that Abdel Khalik was being held on charges of “extending her tongue” against the elected president of the PA.

Damiri said that the journalist called Abbas a “traitor” and “fascist.” She is also accused of calling for the dismantling of the PA.

Abdel Khalik is being held in solitary confinement pending her trial.

Khamis was arrested after he posted a comment on his Facebook page that criticized Abdel Khalik’s arrest.

“If calling for the dismantlement of the Palestinian Authority is an extension of the tongue, then let us all extend our tongues.”

A third journalist, Youssef Al-Shayeb, was also arrested last week for exposing corruption in the Palestinian diplomatic mission in France.

Last week a PA court ordered him remanded into custody for 15 days after he refused to reveal his sources.

He was arrested following a complaint lodged by PA Foreign Minister Riad Malki and the head of the diplomatic mission in France.

Malki accused the journalist of slander and defamation, saying he had committed a sin against journalism and should be punished for publishing the controversial article.

However, following strong protests by Palestinian journalists and human rights organizations, the PA released Al-Shayeb on Monday on $7,000 bail.

Al-Shayeb had gone on hunger strike while in PA detention.

The Arabic Network For Human Rights Information said that the PA’s crackdown on journalists was a “dangerous precedent and an assault on freedom of expression in the Palestinian territories.”

“Journalists are entitled to express their opinions without fear of being imprisoned or harassed,” the Cairo-based group said in a statement.

Commenting on the clampdown, Palestinian journalist Adel Samara said: “This is a totalitarian regime. What would happen when we fulfill our dream of having our own state? We will all be sitting with Al-Shayeb [in prison].”

PA arrests another reporter over Facebook ... JPost - Middle East

And here I thought the Palestinian territories are the most democratic,free and western places in the middle east ... Or so Tinmore keeps telling me.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Yeah , not so recently an Egyptian blogger was arrested because he was criticizing the military.

I heard in Kuwait recently they picked up some people for talking badly about the government on Facebook. In Pakistan I believe Facebook is banned completely.

Let's not forget the troglodytes who wear their laundry on their heads in Saudi Arabia still living in the 7th century. I thought allah invented facebook, no? Saudi Arabia Blocks Facebook For Hours Over Moral Concerns | OpenNet Initiative

Yeah , not so recently an Egyptian blogger was arrested because he was criticizing the military.

I heard in Kuwait recently they picked up some people for talking badly about the government on Facebook. In Pakistan I believe Facebook is banned completely.

Let's not forget the troglodytes who wear their laundry on their heads in Saudi Arabia still living in the 7th century. I thought allah invented facebook, no?
Saudi Arabia Blocks Facebook For Hours Over Moral Concerns | OpenNet Initiative

I would have assumed the Saudis would block Facebook completely, I think even Turkey has Youtube blocked over there.

In Iran, almost everything on the internet is blocked.

Iranians faced a second and more extensive disruption of Internet access Monday, just a week after email and social networking sites were blocked, raising concerns about state censorship ahead of parliamentary elections.

The latest Internet blockade affected the most common form of secure connections, including all encrypted international websites outside of Iran that depend on the Secure Sockets Layer protocol, which display addresses beginning with "https."

"Email, proxies and all the secure channels that start with 'https' are not available," said a Tehran-based technology expert who declined to be identified.

"The situation regarding accessing these websites is even worse than last week because the VPNs are not working."

Many Iranians use virtual private network, or VPN, software to get around the extensive government Internet filter which aims to prevent access to a wide range of websites including many foreign news sites and social networks like Facebook.

Last week, millions of Iranians suffered serious disruption in accessing email and social networking sites amid concerns the government is extending its surveillance on ordinary citizens.

Iranians have grappled with increased obstacles to using the Internet since opposition supporters used social networking to organize protests after the disputed 2009 re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

More Iran Internet Disruptions Raise Concerns Over Censorship As Elections Loom

Iranians faced a second and more extensive disruption of Internet access Monday, just a week after email and social networking sites were blocked, raising concerns about state censorship ahead of parliamentary elections.

The latest Internet blockade affected the most common form of secure connections, including all encrypted international websites outside of Iran that depend on the Secure Sockets Layer protocol, which display addresses beginning with "https."

"Email, proxies and all the secure channels that start with 'https' are not available," said a Tehran-based technology expert who declined to be identified.

"The situation regarding accessing these websites is even worse than last week because the VPNs are not working."

Many Iranians use virtual private network, or VPN, software to get around the extensive government Internet filter which aims to prevent access to a wide range of websites including many foreign news sites and social networks like Facebook.

Last week, millions of Iranians suffered serious disruption in accessing email and social networking sites amid concerns the government is extending its surveillance on ordinary citizens.

Iranians have grappled with increased obstacles to using the Internet since opposition supporters used social networking to organize protests after the disputed 2009 re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Of course, the regime there wants to keep the people close minded and ignorant.

Indeed.

In a video message marking the Persian new year, known as Nowruz, Obama said the U.S. seeks a dialogue with the Iranian people in order to hear their views and understand their aspirations. And he sharply rebuked the Iranian government for setting up an "electronic curtain" around its people that the U.S. says blocks access to much of the outside world.

"Increasingly, the Iranian people are denied the basic freedom to access the information that they want," Obama said. "Instead, the Iranian government jams satellite signals to shut down television and radio broadcasts. It censors the Internet to control what the Iranian people can see and say. The regime monitors computers and cell phones for the sole purpose of protecting its own power."

Obama Sends New Year's Appeal To Iranian Public | Fox News

Of course, almost no one in Iran would have had access to Obama's message or to any foreign broadcast or internet site. The recent "Israel loves Iran" campaign on facebook was carried on by Israelis in Israel and by Iranian expatriates because an Iranian in Iran could go to prison for just accessing the page.

The regular Iranians are among the most aware people in the ME, if not the most, despite govt attempts to undermine the free flow of information. Sheikh Obama blew it in failing to assist them in overthrowing those crazy mullahs when the opportunity presented itself.

The regular Iranians are among the most aware people in the ME, if not the most, despite govt attempts to undermine the free flow of information. Sheikh Obama blew it in failing to assist them in overthrowing those crazy mullahs when the opportunity presented itself.

I have to agree, I met several Iranians living in California, some of them were Jewish, some of the best people I ever met, I appreciate the Iranian cuisine and culture, too bad their government is a piece of shit.

I have to agree, I met several Iranians living in California, some of them were Jewish, some of the best people I ever met, I appreciate the Iranian cuisine and culture, too bad their government is a piece of shit.

Yeah, the Mayor of Beverly Hills is Iranian, Jimmy Delshad. They fled Iran often with just the clothes on their backs.

Let's not forget the troglodytes who wear their laundry on their heads in Saudi Arabia still living in the 7th century. I thought allah invented facebook, no? Saudi Arabia Blocks Facebook For Hours Over Moral Concerns | OpenNet Initiative

Facebook and the Internet are, in general, of little value to the average Mideast Arab. With 33% of them illiterate [50% of the women] all they can do is look at the pictures.

Forum List

Back