FaceBook & other FAANGS

Paul Motter

Gold Member
Aug 29, 2018
This weekend Facebook is taking fire bigtime in the media - first the NYTimes reports they tried to cover up what they knew about Russian Collusion by hiring a GOP public relations firm to call it a Soros plot. Now the story is that the Democrats (who used to be their best friends, Schumer's daughter works for them) are ready to crack down on them, talking antitrust, etc. Same with Google.

FaceBook stock has been bleeding red for months now, and it does not seem to be getting any better. At the same time, you have Google dodging subpoena, and the WashPo (owned by Jeff Bezos) piling on to FaceBook for trying to say "it wasn't just us - look at what other sites were doing."

First of all, I personally think the whole Russian collusion deal is 90% BS - yes FaceBook had some ads posted by Russian operatives, both for and against Trump, but only $100k worth -- not nearly enough to throw the election, and even if it did, no laws were broken. 1) $100k is a drop in the bucket, Beto O'Rourke got some $80 million just to run for Senate in Texas. 2) There are so many outlandish political ads ut there these days, the more "fake" they appear to be the less you believe them. In other words - FaceBook, you are the fall guy.

So when the Democrats turn against Silicon Valley - their honeypot of support - you know they are searching for some serious scapegoats.

This does not bode well for Facebook stock. As a conservative I bailed on FB back when all my liberal friends unfriended me because Hillary lost (boo hoo), but now it looks like the Libs are going to bail also. This can't be good.

I have been watching Facebook, Amazon, Google, Netflix, NVidia, and Apple - all the FANG stocks, and they are getting killed. I have been trying to catch a falling knife, but it just keeps falling.

Is it different this time? Is FAANG dead?

If FaceBook folds, there will be another social media platform to take its place. MySpace to Facebook happened.

That whole group had an incredible run and they are all coming down for various reasons. Aapl and FB now have fairly reasonable P/E ratios if you have a long view. FANGS are pretty crazy for trading now, not my cup of tea.

This weekend Facebook is taking fire bigtime in the media - first the NYTimes reports they tried to cover up what they knew about Russian Collusion by hiring a GOP public relations firm to call it a Soros plot. Now the story is that the Democrats (who used to be their best friends, Schumer's daughter works for them) are ready to crack down on them, talking antitrust, etc. Same with Google.

FaceBook stock has been bleeding red for months now, and it does not seem to be getting any better. At the same time, you have Google dodging subpoena, and the WashPo (owned by Jeff Bezos) piling on to FaceBook for trying to say "it wasn't just us - look at what other sites were doing."

First of all, I personally think the whole Russian collusion deal is 90% BS - yes FaceBook had some ads posted by Russian operatives, both for and against Trump, but only $100k worth -- not nearly enough to throw the election, and even if it did, no laws were broken. 1) $100k is a drop in the bucket, Beto O'Rourke got some $80 million just to run for Senate in Texas. 2) There are so many outlandish political ads ut there these days, the more "fake" they appear to be the less you believe them. In other words - FaceBook, you are the fall guy.

So when the Democrats turn against Silicon Valley - their honeypot of support - you know they are searching for some serious scapegoats.

This does not bode well for Facebook stock. As a conservative I bailed on FB back when all my liberal friends unfriended me because Hillary lost (boo hoo), but now it looks like the Libs are going to bail also. This can't be good.

I have been watching Facebook, Amazon, Google, Netflix, NVidia, and Apple - all the FANG stocks, and they are getting killed. I have been trying to catch a falling knife, but it just keeps falling.

It is just possible some of these guys and gals are acting on what they believe is the proper thing to do and there is no plot.

I hate political parties and tinges of team worship and hatred are even in your thoughtful post. Sometimes though like with the civil rights bill, sectionalism and racism win out over party loyalty. If Trump breaks some of these blocks apart even unwittingly it may be for the best.

There had to be reasons for Facebookburning's recent binge of page bannings, and this looks a likely as any....Had to get out front and try to fend off the kleptocrats, who've been just dying for any available reason to regulate them.

No new posts today - um, Facebook is getting killed (along with all the FAANGS), but what I was a thinking last night was a sectional selloff (techs) appears to be the beginnings of a bear market.

And sorry to the one who "hates politics" - its a major fact of life and my post was partially tinged, but really more about the effects of politics on the market - if you have an educated or relevent reaction please ring in - otherwise....

I was always very skeptical of the Obama love affair with Silicon Valley, since they were the biggest "corps" out there, but they are so damn liberal in their content he loved them. But NOW the dems appears to be saying "you are not liberal enough, you had better get onboard like the TV media, or else we will "let them" break you up."

Forum List

Back