Facebook IPO

Rocko

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 30, 2011
NY
Anyone have any opinion about this?

All they have been talking about is this IPO on CNBC. I remember missing out on the Google IPO and that one shot up. I can't buy the IPO, but maybe it will still be in play like Google was in the secondary market.

All they have been talking about is this IPO on CNBC. I remember missing out on the Google IPO and that one shot up. I can't buy the IPO, but maybe it will still be in play like Google was in the secondary market.

None of us will be able to buy into the IPO

None of us will be able to buy into the IPO

Most likely...unless one of us has a huge account at a major wire house that has a retail division invovled with the IPO, but there are also some small brokerages that got small pieces of the offering, and sell the IPO to their clients. I have a friend that works for a boutique financial services firm that has been selling it to their clients.

Having said that, I wasn't asking if anyone owns it...I was asking if anyone has an opinion about it.

All one has to do is look at some of the largest Internet IPO's of the past.
Most of them had the same early excitement and buzz.
The smart ones bought early - and then the time they got out could be measured in weeks or month. They made enormous money.
People will make enormous money off of Facebook IPO as well, but only if they get out fast. I have no doubt there will be a HUUUGE spike in the first 3-4 months followed by a deafening fall before it settles to something normal.
The process has been repeated often.

People will make enormous money off of Facebook IPO as well, but only if they get out fast. I have no doubt there will be a HUUUGE spike in the first 3-4 months followed by a deafening fall before it settles to something normal.

Completely agree. :clap2: It wouldn't be very wise to hold onto it. I realize it is tempting but, Facebook's popularity could take a turn for the worse almost any day.

Completely agree. :clap2: It wouldn't be very wise to hold onto it. I realize it is tempting but, Facebook's popularity could take a turn for the worse almost any day.

I think it is already fleeting.
I have an 17 yo and a 21 yo....and all of the friends..I have heard many remarks about "I don't know why I still go there"..'It is stupid"...I don't go there anymore"...etc. etc. Facebook is a novelty, a great one. But as all novelties - they wear out.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
I posted something this lready in another thread but, the 100 Bn price is waaaaaaaaaaaaay over valued, UNLESS face-book has plans to strangle their 'customers' for revenue, the 'like' button alone won't get it done.

google based out projections on a 20 -1 earnings multiple, Apple is currently valued at 13 to one , at 100 bn facebook is around 100-1.....and google had their niche to start with, that somewhat justified the 20-1....

Get ready for lots more ads. Want to update your status? Watch an ad first. Want to Like something? Watch an ad. Shareholders means profit expectations. They must make money. They must make more money than they made before. They must make even more money, and faster. Wall St. becomes destructive to these companies.
I use it to keep in touch with distant relatives. I don't play the games, I don't tell people what I had for dinner. So long as they keep the basic communication tools available, I don't really care.

The IPO will be delayed due to lack of interest in the stock market. Greece's failure and anothe S&P US downgrade will make people very hesitant to be in the market. IPOs generally are not a good way to make money for the average investor. Stay far, far away.

Yeah, joke. Rapidly loosing popularity.

This is not a good time to invest in non-tangibles. They could be destroyed so easily by a new better fad overnight. After everyone has left, what's left that's worth any value? Don't get jacked, you're being set-up. Invest in what people will always need. Invest in those ventures that will be the last to fall. I'm heavy into coffins this year. :badgrin:

This is not a good time to invest in non-tangibles. They could be destroyed so easily by a new better fad overnight. After everyone has left, what's left that's worth any value? Don't get jacked, you're being set-up. Invest in what people will always need. Invest in those ventures that will be the last to fall. I'm heavy into coffins this year. :badgrin:

I like bio tech. Nearly everyone needs a cure for something. :)

Warning: Stay Away From The Facebook IPO

5/16/12 By Mark Evans

Without a doubt, Facebook’s IPO is going to be a smash hit.

The social networking giant, led by the hoodie-wearing Mark Zuckerberg, is going to sell more than $13-billion of shares to frenzied investors scrambling not to miss out on the biggest IPO of the year..history?

The IPO will give Facebook a staggering $96-billion valuation and, if it’s possible, subject the company to even more scrutiny, fascination and criticism.

And while I’m sure Facebook shares will soar above the $34 to $38 offering price, I personally wouldn’t buy them, other than to flip them to some sucker looking to scramble on to the Facebook bandwagon.

It’s not because I’ve been ambivalent for Facebook for a long time, it’s that Facebook is hitting the IPO market at its zenith, and it has nowhere to go but down.

In the short-term, Facebook won’t become any less popular or see the number of users – currently more than 900 million – decline, but there are growing indications the Roman Empire of the social media landscape may be crumbling.

How come? Here are some reasons:

>
>
>

While I’m bearish on Facebook, I expect tomorrow to be a triumphant day for Facebook, Zuckerberg and the company’s investors. In the long-run, however, I would not be surprised to see the shares sag – much like other much-hyped IPOs such as GroupOn.

Warning: Stay Away From The Facebook IPO - Forbes

almost 60% of the shares are coming from present holders, NOT the co., thats NOT normal its flipped as a matter of fact.

Something stinks in the state of Denmark;) Like their biz model going forward.

Look, this is cash infusion event for zuckerzit and wall st.. as usual they will get rich off this, the hoi polloi? not so much...and they have to get ahead of the price slump, after the employees et al cash out in 6 months driving down the price......half the inst.'s are selling half their holdings, where are the believer in this co.? seriously?

almost 60% of the shares are coming from present holders, NOT the co., thats NOT normal its flipped as a matter of fact.

Look, this is cash infusion event for zuckerzit and wall st.. as usual they will get rich off this, the hoi polloi? not so much...and they have to get ahead of the price slump, after the employees et al cash out in 6 months driving down the price......half the inst.'s are selling half their holdings, where are the believer in this co.? seriously?

Beyond hype...what is there to believe in?
Internet banner advertising is the lowest of the lowest form of advertising.
It is quickly being replaced by local/regional use of Q-code advertising.
Facebook has a huge audience. But the absence of bandwidth killing advertisement is a part of the reason why they have it. mark has known this for several years.
Imagine logging onto facebook and it takes 4-5 seconds to load, you move your mouse and this giant drop down ad appears, you click on your friends comment and you get a pop-up, you click on something else and your browser is redirected to Home depot. People would leave in droves.

Beyond hype...what is there to believe in?
Internet banner advertising is the lowest of the lowest form of advertising.
It is quickly being replaced by local/regional use of Q-code advertising.
Facebook has a huge audience. But the absence of bandwidth killing advertisement is a part of the reason why they have it. mark has known this for several years.
Imagine logging onto facebook and it takes 4-5 seconds to load, you move your mouse and this giant drop down ad appears, you click on your friends comment and you get a pop-up, you click on something else and your browser is redirected to Home depot. People would leave in droves.

I agree and, at the end of the day, as a few folks have already said, social sites are not exactly a novelty anymore....

the present Facebook valuation calls for a price to sales ratio north of 27, Google? PSR 5, Apple is at 4, hello........ Give facebook a 20 and that's only 74 Bn......wtf? :eusa_eh:

If Zuckezit went on Shark-Tank, they'd laugh at that valuation and throw him out. ( he had approx. $3.5 Bn in earnings in 2011)

check it;

OB-SZ359_facebo_E_20120516170358.jpg

flash- Facebooks IPO offer has been officially filed at$38.....hummm, GM right now? $21.61, Intel closed today at $26 and change, BofA, almost $7.....as my uncle vinne would say, getdafugouttahere...

here, notice anything peculiar?:lol:

Total value raised by all Technology IPOs by year:
2012 ytd $2 billion
2011 $8.9 billion
2010 $6.2 billion
2009 $5.9 billion
2008 $798 million
2007 $10.7 billion
2006 $4.6 billion
2005 $5.1 billion
2004 $11 billion
2003 $1.7 billion