Facebook IPO

Discussion in 'Stock Market' started by Rocko, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Rocko

Rocko Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,936
    Anyone have any opinion about this?

All they have been talking about is this IPO on CNBC. I remember missing out on the Google IPO and that one shot up. I can't buy the IPO, but maybe it will still be in play like Google was in the secondary market.

2. Jos

Jos BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +733
    What do they manufacture?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,497
    None of us will be able to buy into the IPO

4. Rocko

Rocko Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,936
    Most likely...unless one of us has a huge account at a major wire house that has a retail division invovled with the IPO, but there are also some small brokerages that got small pieces of the offering, and sell the IPO to their clients. I have a friend that works for a boutique financial services firm that has been selling it to their clients.

Having said that, I wasn't asking if anyone owns it...I was asking if anyone has an opinion about it.

5. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,101
    All one has to do is look at some of the largest Internet IPO's of the past.
    Most of them had the same early excitement and buzz.
    The smart ones bought early - and then the time they got out could be measured in weeks or month. They made enormous money.
    People will make enormous money off of Facebook IPO as well, but only if they get out fast. I have no doubt there will be a HUUUGE spike in the first 3-4 months followed by a deafening fall before it settles to something normal.
    The process has been repeated often.

6. RebeccaAGray_85

RebeccaAGray_85 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Completely agree. :clap2: It wouldn't be very wise to hold onto it. I realize it is tempting but, Facebook's popularity could take a turn for the worse almost any day.

7. FuelRod

FuelRod Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +924
    I'd like to jump in anywhere below $100 myself.

8. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,101
    I think it is already fleeting.
    I have an 17 yo and a 21 yo....and all of the friends..I have heard many remarks about "I don't know why I still go there"..'It is stupid"...I don't go there anymore"...etc. etc. Facebook is a novelty, a great one. But as all novelties - they wear out.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    I posted something this lready in another thread but, the 100 Bn price is waaaaaaaaaaaaay over valued, UNLESS face-book has plans to strangle their 'customers' for revenue, the 'like' button alone won't get it done.

google based out projections on a 20 -1 earnings multiple, Apple is currently valued at 13 to one , at 100 bn facebook is around 100-1.....and google had their niche to start with, that somewhat justified the 20-1....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. AmericaFirst88

AmericaFirst88 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Get ready for lots more ads. Want to update your status? Watch an ad first. Want to Like something? Watch an ad. Shareholders means profit expectations. They must make money. They must make more money than they made before. They must make even more money, and faster. Wall St. becomes destructive to these companies.
    I use it to keep in touch with distant relatives. I don't play the games, I don't tell people what I had for dinner. So long as they keep the basic communication tools available, I don't really care.