Facebook behavior

ekrem

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2005
I registered for Facebook about 2 years ago. I thought about my first love, a Bosnian girl. I dated her in early teenager age when I was still living in Germany, then her parents decided to move back to Bosnia, and there she was gone. Dust in the wind.
Now to Facebook again... I chatted with her a bit 2 years ago, she has married has a c daughter and they all happily live in Sarajevo.
Somehow, I did not login to Facebook again.

Now I again log-in. I see many old friends, some of them were once very very close to me, but we lost out of sight. Everyone goes his own way, so is life.

What is your Facebook behavior if you meet discover such people there? Do you befriend them, or do you just have friends which also do play a part in your real life?

2 years after I have logged-in again, I saw she has removed me as a friend.
There are many friends from the past on Facebook, some of them whom I probably never will see again due to the distance.
I am thinking if I shall contact them or if that is another time waste. I don't know.
I justed wanted to hear some experiences of yours.

My cousin just found his sister who no one in the family has talked to in 14 years. It was a weird deal. My aunt lives in Oregon, he lives in Mississippi and it turns out the sister lives in Little Rock ,AR. Their mother flew back here to Arkansas when my grandfather became ill, he subsequently passed away, and my cousin from Mississippi was coming up for the funeral , the day before he was to leave to come up he was on FB and just happened to come accross her. No one had any idea where the other was. She had fallen into a bad crowd, and we'll leave that at that, but long story short, the brother got her out of LR and she is currently living in my grandfather's house up here in northern Arkansas back with her family to help her recover from some pretty serious problems.

Without FB she would have been lost to the family forever and turns out she lives 4 hours in either direction of family.

2 years after I have logged-in again, I saw she has removed me as a friend.
There are many friends from the past on Facebook, some of them whom I probably never will see again due to the distance.
I am thinking if I shall contact them or if that is another time waste. I don't know.
I justed wanted to hear some experiences of yours.

Yes, I would. I usually lose track of people because I move or stop running into them at school, etc. If I liked them once, I'll like them again (usually).

My facebook policy on friending people is rather open. If someone likes a comment I have made and wants to friend me, I'll allow it because my private life is not on there and I have my settings arranged so that my friends cannot see my friend list. This protects my child and the people I love IRL, and so I'm a happy camper.

If you wish to use such a setting yourself, here's how:

1. From the Privacy Settings page (click Account first)
Follow the "View settings" link under the "Basic Directory Information" section of the Privacy Settings page. Adjust the "See my friend list" setting.

2. Directly from your profile (click Profile first)
Click the pencil icon in the Friends box on your profile. Then, click "Change Visibility Settings."

3. You must use the Custom option, which allows you to authorize certain people to view your list of friends. If you choose the "only me" option, no one but you will be able to view your friend's list. If you specify a list of names there, only those people and yourself will be able to view your list of friends.

I registered for Facebook about 2 years ago. I thought about my first love, a Bosnian girl. I dated her in early teenager age when I was still living in Germany, then her parents decided to move back to Bosnia, and there she was gone. Dust in the wind.
Now to Facebook again... I chatted with her a bit 2 years ago, she has married has a c daughter and they all happily live in Sarajevo.
Somehow, I did not login to Facebook again.

Now I again log-in. I see many old friends, some of them were once very very close to me, but we lost out of sight. Everyone goes his own way, so is life.

What is your Facebook behavior if you meet discover such people there? Do you befriend them, or do you just have friends which also do play a part in your real life?

I lost my ( then very young) daughter in a divorce in the early 70s, back while I was serving in the NAV.

I've reestablished contact with her thanks to FB.

But we're strangers now.

She's a grown middle aged woman and making really meaningful contact now is pretty much impossible.

You can never go home again, folks.

It isn't there anymore.

You can never go home again, folks.
It isn't there anymore.
This.
My reconnection with people I went to H.S. with lasted for about a week, I think they just wanted to see who turned out to be losers. After that I just got status updates on their FaceBook games and Farmville bullshit.

I cut my "friends" down to about 25 or so and now my Facebook is limited to immediate family and only a few real friends.

The instructions I gave above will prevent anyone but you from seeing your friends list. However, if you have "acquaintences" as well as friends and family friended on your facebook account, you also need to shield the posts written by others from view by anyone but you.

The newsfeed feature is controlled separately and differently. Facebook provides much less control on that feature because on the one hand if a user wants to send sensitive information to another user, it should be done via direct messaging, not a person's Wall or through the public board. On the other hand, if facebook were to restrict the newsfeed to only Friends and did not include Friends of Friends, then the possibilities of Friends of Friends to make additional connections would be considerably limited, and the social interaction would not be encouraged.

Facebook allows members to somewhat control their newsfeed. For example, I believe they allow a user to receive feeds from up to 250 users at a time. Users can change not only the users that they receive feeds from but they can also control somewhat the amount of information that they receive from a specific user.

To control the viewers of your newsfeed, go to Account Settings----->Privacy Settings----->Sharing on Facebook---->Customize Settings (this is a hotlink in the gray box)----->Things Others Share---->Customize---->Only By Me.

I hope that'll make using facebook more enjoyable for you, ekrem.

Last edited:
Facebook has allowed me to receive almost instantaneous pictures of friends and family scattered all over the world.

I have located friends from the Military I haven't seen or talked to since the early 70's.

I found my Prom date whom I haven't seen since 1971.

It was great to talk with (or type to) each and every one of them. In fact 2 of my old units are having reunions, I found out on facebook. One I may go to the other probably not.

But Facebook is the easiest way besides the telephone to get quick updates from family.

I am starting to get advertisements or something on facebook. I mean set to me as a message. What is that about?

I am starting to get advertisements or something on facebook. I mean set to me as a message. What is that about?

I suspect it is a spam virus, Kat. Delete without opening if you can; you can block them if they are coming from a profile (left side, mid-level) but not if they are pages, etc.

I joined FB a few years ago when my oldest went to college. Mostly just as another way to keep in touch with her.

I've found a few long ago friends and former co-workers, but they don't FB much. Even recent friends,, who I don't see, don't FB much.

I just looked up my first boyfriend and found him. Should I friend him? He still lives in the town where he grew up; I'm about 45 from the town where I grew up. I can see his profile pic and he looks the same.

I joined FB a few years ago when my oldest went to college. Mostly just as another way to keep in touch with her.

I've found a few long ago friends and former co-workers, but they don't FB much. Even recent friends,, who I don't see, don't FB much.

I just looked up my first boyfriend and found him. Should I friend him? He still lives in the town where he grew up; I'm about 45 from the town where I grew up. I can see his profile pic and he looks the same.

How did the baby in your avie get a black eye?

Dun friend him immediately, Zoom-boing. Send him a message and ask after his family first. I'm always startled when I get a friend request but no message.

And chances are if he "looks the same" and you guys are over 35, he's using an old photo. I dun know why people do this, but they do.

She back talked me so I belted her.
Not!

That's my youngest about 12 years ago; she was 18-22 months or so. Her older brother (he was 5 at the time) decided to show her how to hang onto a table and pull your legs up so you could swing. The whole damn table fell on top of them . . . he was fine, she came close to losing her eye. I have earned every freakin grey hair on my head!

Dun friend him immediately, Zoom-boing. Send him a message and ask after his family first. I'm always startled when I get a friend request but no message.

I always include a message whenever I friend someone. He'd know me and he'd remember me. How could he not? :eusa_angel:

And chances are if he "looks the same" and you guys are over 35, he's using an old photo. I dun know why people do this, but they do.

Well, the pic is recent enough cause he has less hair on top then he did when I knew him.

She back talked me so I belted her.
Not!

That's my youngest about 12 years ago; she was 18-22 months or so. Her older brother (he was 5 at the time) decided to show her how to hang onto a table and pull your legs up so you could swing. The whole damn table fell on top of them . . . he was fine, she came close to losing her eye. I have earned every freakin grey hair on my head!

I always include a message whenever I friend someone. He'd know me and he'd remember me. How could he not? :eusa_angel:

Well, the pic is recent enough cause he has less hair on top then he did when I knew him.

I say go for it. What's the worst that can happen?

Those babies! I dun know about you, but I want grandbabies mainly for the revenge!

i lasted about a week....de activated my account...it was just too weird..esp when i knew people in rl...
they act one way on facebook and then reality is totally different...and i loved the postings of 20 yr old pictures...

hell i still havent figured out what farmville is...

Now, I befriended some people I know. It develops into a self-dynamism, friendship-connections are posted to each member's profile-wall, from there other members you did not thought about see that connection and try to seek friendship with you.
Facebook is some really nice tool, I chatted the last days a-lot with people, it's very interesting to see how people's life have developed.

Almost all I have spoken with are now married, even have children. From some I even see pictures of their conscription time, those pictures are fascinating.
Many of those people are mostly from my school-time and youth-time. Also some very close people I hang around as a teenager and did the things together with them, what boys do in that half-grown-up age :)

Nice.

I have reconnected with many old friends on Facebook- many I had completely forgotten about. We catch up, share experiences, and then just kinda stay connected. It's a small way for old friends to be connected unobtrusively. I find it interesting seeing what paths they took and how their lives have grown (or not). When I was unemployed, my Facebook friends offered support that was much appreciated. I used my Facebook page as part of my resume. I try to offer help and encouragement whenever I can. Occasionally I will be a smartass just for fun. Many people use it as a place to bitch, which can also be interesting at times! Facebook is an awesome thing for me!

Forum List

Back