Facebook about to create 1000 millionaires

What does Facebook (or Groupon for that matter) actually produce?
Tangible, hard, physical goods that are manufactured?

And folks want to buy into this shit?
Be my guest.

Facebook produces advertising. And there are big bucks in advertising.

That's a good point. Insofar that the advertising might lead to sales of tangible, hard, physical goods that are manufactured.

Other than that, it's bullshit.

The only thing that counts in your world is hard goods? Does that mean musicians do not produce anything of value? Writers? Software engineers and coders? Mayhap the problem here is not everyone else, mayhap the problem is you are stuck in the stone age and think painting on the wall is a waste of time.

*shrug*

What did Google produce when they had their IPO?

agreed. frankly, I never got that either. they own work campus's as in office buildings, patents and the algorithm. no 'assets' as in manufacturing tools, commercial licenses etc.

They didn't own any patents until they bought Motorola, everything they do is open source. What Google actually produces is access to information, which is the single most valuable tool the modern world has.

Large blocks of Facebook stock were being shopped around in the private market last week.

How did it do? Were people interested?

I don't know but a lot of people got a look. It was priced at $30-$32 a share. One of our agents offered to buy it for $16. They passed. It was something like a 20 million share block.

It had to close by today. The registration for an IPO is Monday. Once its registered, it cannot be sold.

Large blocks of Facebook stock were being shopped around in the private market last week.

I don't know but a lot of people got a look. It was priced at $30-$32 a share. One of our agents offered to buy it for $16. They passed. It was something like a 20 million share block.

It had to close by today. The registration for an IPO is Monday. Once its registered, it cannot be sold.

I've never bought an individual stock before. How would I go about doing it with no broker? And is it possible to purchase just one or two shares?

*shrug* I'll throw up to $100 at it to see what happens.

I've never bought an individual stock before. How would I go about doing it with no broker? And is it possible to purchase just one or two shares?

You won't be able to buy Facebook stock until it goes public. You will be able to buy it then.

You won't be able to buy Facebook stock until it goes public. You will be able to buy it then.

My questions were based on the assumption is was going public. How would I buy 1 or 2 shares?

All of my "investing" has been through my 401k (with the generous company match) and through my company's stock purchase plan (at a generous company discount). Between those two avenues I get very large ROI. So I've never pursued any other investment options. Plus being 35, busy starting a family etc., up until now I haven't had the spare cash to be able to invest (re: throw away if things go south) in other avenues. I was just wondering how someone would go about doing it. A FB IPO is something I would throw $100 at if given the opportunity.

My questions were based on the assumption is was going public. How would I buy 1 or 2 shares?

All of my "investing" has been through my 401k (with the generous company match) and through my company's stock purchase plan (at a generous company discount). Between those two avenues I get very large ROI. So I've never pursued any other investment options. Plus being 35, busy starting a family etc., up until now I haven't had the spare cash to be able to invest (re: throw away if things go south) in other avenues. I was just wondering how someone would go about doing it. A FB IPO is something I would throw $100 at if given the opportunity.

Open up an online broker. I use TD Ameritrade but Charles Schwab is good too. Find out the minimum required deposit, then buy 1 or 2 shares.

If you do that and intend to buy Facebook shares, let me know, and I will tell you what to watch for.

Open up an online broker. I use TD Ameritrade but Charles Schwab is good too. Find out the minimum required deposit, then buy 1 or 2 shares.

If you do that and intend to buy Facebook shares, let me know, and I will tell you what to watch for.

OK, thanks. I'll look into it.

When do you think the IPO will happen? After the holidays?

Or turn an account you already have at your bank into a brokerage account.

OK, thanks. I'll look into it.

When do you think the IPO will happen? After the holidays?

I'm not sure. It won't be for awhile.

Forum List

Back