fabric organization

candydan

Rookie
Dec 17, 2012
china
I'm reorganising my fabric. Well, not exactly, but I took all of the fabric that was on the bookcase off and now wondering what would be the best way to put it back. Sorted by type? Sorted by colour? How do you do yours?

I'm reorganising my fabric. Well, not exactly, but I took all of the fabric that was on the bookcase off and now wondering what would be the best way to put it back. Sorted by type? Sorted by colour? How do you do yours?
Hi, candydan. Welcome to USMB. I'm not certain how large your stash is. Mine fills 4 rooms, so what I am about to tell you may or may not relate to someone who has the intelligence to not let their stash get out of control.

I do my best to divide fabrics into colors, and within each color divide by value (light to dark). I made 107 quilt tops this past year for my guild, so putting away and reorganizing is easier to do 10 quilts of one color 10 times, and throw in a few wild schemes every 6 or 7th quilt to keep boredom off my ankles.

My color palette includes:

I. Magenta/pink
1. Tints (meaning tinted with white)
pale mauve
pale pink
pale flesh
2. Hues (pure color)
Hot Pink
Cerise

3. Shades (mixed with black, deeper hue, or brown)
Magenta, deepest dark (mixed with black
Cranberry, festive dark red
Rosewood, Southwest flavor (brown)
II. Red/salmon
1. Tints (mixed with white)

2. Hues (pure color)

3. Shades (mixed with black, gray, or brown)
III. Orange/Schoolbus

2. Hues (pure color)

3. Shades (mixed with black, gray, or brown)​
IV. Yellows, Cadmiums/Chromium/Golds

2. Hues (pure color)

V. Browns/Khaki/Cream

2. Hues (pure color)

VI. Limes to Logan Greens

2. Hues (pure color)

VII. Greens, Kelly/Forest/Jade

2. Hues (pure color)

VIII. Turquoise

2. Hues (pure color)

IX. Royal Blues/Periwinkle

2. Hues (pure color)

X. Purples/Royal Purple/Amethyst/Grape

2. Hues (pure color)

XI, Value scale, White to Black

2. Hues (pure color)

3. Shades (mixed with black, gray, or brown)
I have more reds than anything else, but I buy more blues because people I know love blue, and I just can't keep it around.

Greens are second

Neutrals are third. I keep two bolts of muslin around--bleached and unbleached, for no-brainer work, backings for crazies, and just for light areas on quickie quilts or quilts I'm designing and prefer a light ground until I get a feel for positive and negative shapes that form when I applique or piece postage stamps like cross stitches.

I have 4 or 5 bins of red, 2 of which are for light v. dark grounds with a red and white print, one for 30s reds, 2 bins for red reds, 1 for dark artistic reds. Antebellum reds are just kept with other antebellum fabrics since they are neither red nor rust nor brown, but often just have a bleh effect with bright reds.

Picky, picky, picky, picky...Best wishes, nonetheless.

Forum List

Back