F35 - superfighter or lame duck?

Bombs are great unless the enemy is in close contact, which is generally how insurgents fight it seems.. What do you do then?
Ah so all these thousands of JDAMs they have dropped in CAS role against these insurgents who generally fight close have been useless.

Let's repeat again for Westwall: the overwhelming majority of CAS in modern era is performed with precision guided munitions. They can drop bombs accurately enough to hit targets quite close to friendlies.

Let's repeat for drain, CAS aircraft are required to accomplish a LOT of different mission profiles. You claiming that a gun is useless is not born out by actual, real world experience.
In any sort of urban combat situation the precise use of the 30mm has been a battle winner. Situations where a JDAM would kill the defending troops were instead handled with the gun, successfully.

You remind me of all those brainiacs who said modern fighters no longer needed guns because the missiles were going to change everything about air combat. Guess what. They were wrong.

Back in MY day, the missiles had to be fired in pairs just to get a 30% kill rate. And they were slow. To give you an idea, if you fired on a Mig-25, he poured the coals to it and outran your missile without even maneuvering. Today's missiles are much faster and have at least 4 times the range. This includes both sides. Before you jump at that bone, you have to be locked on to hit your target. The F-35 can be locked on passively and pick up the incoming missiles and direct them dead on target. Is a foot one way or the other good enough?

An F/18 super has irst and F-35 cant hide from it
Hiding is relative, if AGP-81finds that F-18 at greater range than IRST can volume search the skies then it is hidden enough.
Cept you have a flying torch with biggest engine and no shielding for it. Planes fly in groups .....4 man formation simply breaks up their areas by plane.......Duh..... And once you fire you aren't hidden anymore and with helmet mounted cueing system they can shoot right back

Hiding is relative, if AGP-81finds that F-18 at greater range than IRST can volume search the skies then it is hidden enough.
Cept you have a flying torch with biggest engine and no shielding for it. Planes fly in groups .....4 man formation simply breaks up their areas by plane.......Duh..... And once you fire you aren't hidden anymore and with helmet mounted cueing system they can shoot right back

Sure. The problem with IRST, you have to be looking at the exact location of the target. Plus, if they are out of range (easily done) you can't pick them up at all. Nasty things like wind, barometrics and more get in the way. So you can see a F-16 from 30 clicks away from the front and 60 from the rear. Okay, but you will have to be a damned site closer to see either the F-22 or the F-35. And you can't target with IRST.

You are just grasping at straws at this point and are making absolutely no sense.

Sure. The problem with IRST, you have to be looking at the exact location of the target. Plus, if they are out of range (easily done) you can't pick them up at all. Nasty things like wind, barometrics and more get in the way. So you can see a F-16 from 30 clicks away from the front and 60 from the rear. Okay, but you will have to be a damned site closer to see either the F-22 or the F-35. And you can't target with IRST.

You are just grasping at straws at this point and are making absolutely no sense.
Once you fire gee which direction should I look ...Llllmmmaaaoooo.

Helmet mounted cueing g fire and forget......Launch your missle at max range I'll beat it.......And you'll be dodging mine

If you are on the receiving end of it, you don't look. You just die, Laughing Boy.

If you are on the receiving end of it, you don't look. You just die, Laughing Boy.
Yeah cause there is no such thing as missle lock or launch warnings right.....ggeeeeez

Helmet mounted cueing g fire and forget......Launch your missle at max range I'll beat it.......And you'll be dodging mine

You are going to be too busy avoiding to fire anything. You don't have to actually kill the bad guy, just disrupt him so he can't do anything else.

Damn, we sure could use you in flight school. Your wealth of information would be priceless except it's all in your mind. You have no idea what it takes to be a fighter pilot. Those dudes and dudetts are the cream of the crop and have eyes that can see things normal people can't. They can even read things that others can't see on the screens,HUDS and Helmet Displays. If they can't learn to do that, they become Tanker, Bomber or Cargo Haulers or just wash out.

Helmet mounted cueing......Once there is a vector from launch they will see and be able to launch.....Active homing missles will lock themselves on.

Yeah cause there is no such thing as missle lock or launch warnings right.....ggeeeeez

The F-22 and the F-35 can passively guide it in. No lock as you would traditionally think. Again, you are just not making any sense.

Helmet mounted cueing......Once there is a vector from launch they will see and be able to launch.....Active homing missles will lock themselves on.

And if it was launched from a F-18/16/15 from long range, the launching bird will be hot footing it back out of any kind of range. Now, if it comes in from 3 different directions what do you do? Tell us oh wise one, our Pilots need to share your brilliance.

Again, you aren't making an sense.

You are going to be too busy avoiding to fire anything. You don't have to actually kill the bad guy, just disrupt him so he can't do anything else.

Damn, we sure could use you in flight school. Your wealth of information would be priceless except it's all in your mind. You have no idea what it takes to be a fighter pilot. Those dudes and dudetts are the cream of the crop and have eyes that can see things normal people can't. They can even read things that others can't see on the screens,HUDS and Helmet Displays. If they can't learn to do that, they become Tanker, Bomber or Cargo Haulers or just wash out.

One thing that has been proven over and over about the brainiacs and their way of thinking is that they have been wrong every time. The F-35 is a good aircraft when it works. There's no doubt of that. However, it is not the game changer that you all claim it is. And, for the price I can get way more bang for my buck with other airframes. And those airframes can be updated for a tenth of the cost to use all the cool stuff the F-35 has.

The F-22 and the F-35 can passively guide it in. No lock as you would traditionally think. Again, you are just not making any sense.
Go read the article I just posted.....You seem to know very little and accept Co propaganda as gospel

One thing that has been proven over and over about the brainiacs and their way of thinking is that they have been wrong every time. The F-35 is a good aircraft when it works. There's no doubt of that. However, it is not the game changer that you all claim it is. And, for the price I can get way more bang for my buck with other airframes. And those airframes can be updated for a tenth of the cost to use all the cool stuff the F-35 has.

The A model has the highest fighter turn rate right now. Even if it is broken, it's a matter of minutes usually before it's ready to launch. You pop a panel on hinges, replace the box, close the panel and send it on it's way. The next generation of AC will greatly benefit from the way the F-35 is layed out.

You don't make sense again.

Go read the article I just posted.....You seem to know very little and accept Co propaganda as gospel

I read your article. I don't trust anyone posting in a Blog. If he were an expert, I imagine he would be posting on one of many reputable military sites. But he isn't. He's a friggin blogger. Hell that's worse than you posting in here.

Again, you aren't making any sense.

And if it was launched from a F-18/16/15 from long range, the launching bird will be hot footing it back out of any kind of range. Now, if it comes in from 3 different directions what do you do? Tell us oh wise one, our Pilots need to share your brilliance.

You do realize our missles have shorter range than theirs ......So again shoot at max....You just wasted your shot

I read your article. I don't trust anyone posting in a Blog. If he were an expert, I imagine he would be posting on one of many reputable military sites. But he isn't. He's a friggin blogger. Hell that's worse than you posting in here.

Missle specs common knowledge.....Again. You expose your ignorance

You do realize our missles have shorter range than theirs ......So again shoot at max....You just wasted your shot

You do realize that you need a lock to use that wonderful range, right?You don't make any sense still.

Missle specs common knowledge.....Again. You expose your ignorance

If I have a missile that can fire 1000 miles but don't see anything to fire it on, I am just a missile truck transporting missiles. Again, you are not making any sense.

You are just grabbing at straws. You remind me of an saying, "When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging:"

Forum List

Back