F-Series Questions

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
(a) If the Chevy and GMC sales COMBINED are more than F-Series sales, is the F-Series really the best selling truck? Usually Ford outsells GM, but right now, the Chevy/GMC total exceeds F-Series for 2015.

(b) What is it that makes the F-Series the perennial winner? I have heard various theories. Some say that the basic cheap version of the Ford (standard cab, 8' bed) is cheaper than the others so they get a lot of farmer and commercial sales for that reason. Some swear by one feature or another, claim the Ford is better.

(c) Non-Ford people keep saying that (i) the aluminum body, and the (ii) V6 engines are driving customers away from Ford, but that does not seem to be the case. Any theories here?

(d) Why did Ford kill the Ranger? Couldn't compete with Tacoma or just not profitable enough?

How much some commodity sells (or fails to) is all about marketing. Not sure why you'd need to know those numbers anyway, unless you're getting a commission per piece, or are invested in the company making it.

Ford has lots of fleet sales, which helps greatly.

As for the Ranger...I recall seeing that it was not going to meet updated safety standards, and the cost of doing so on what is basically still a 1980's design would have been prohibitive. The fact that Ford did not update or even MARKET the truck for about ten years did not help in the slightest.

Personally, I would not own an aluminum-body vehicle at this point. Too much cost to repair even minor body damage.

(a) If the Chevy and GMC sales COMBINED are more than F-Series sales, is the F-Series really the best selling truck? Usually Ford outsells GM, but right now, the Chevy/GMC total exceeds F-Series for 2015.

(b) What is it that makes the F-Series the perennial winner? I have heard various theories. Some say that the basic cheap version of the Ford (standard cab, 8' bed) is cheaper than the others so they get a lot of farmer and commercial sales for that reason. Some swear by one feature or another, claim the Ford is better.

(c) Non-Ford people keep saying that (i) the aluminum body, and the (ii) V6 engines are driving customers away from Ford, but that does not seem to be the case. Any theories here?

(d) Why did Ford kill the Ranger? Couldn't compete with Tacoma or just not profitable enough?
A) Youre comparing manufacturers to individual trucks. F-series outsells Silverado and other models
B) Fleet sales is the most logical answer. Add the possibility that people still aren't sure of GM
C) Aluminum rocks! Light for better mileage. So what about repairs. It's under warranty and by the time the bumper to bumper warranty runs out the rest of automotive technology will be caught up
D) Rangers have always sucked and that's coming from a lifetime Ford man

The F series is the best selling truck because it is available in SO many different flavors, way way way more than GM, Toyota , Ram, offer in a full sized truck. You can get everything from a single cab 4x2 4 V6 to a fully loaded quad cab dually F550 (thats a 1 3/4 ton) with a turbo diesel .

The aluminum body is a legitimate complaint, Repairs on those are going to be very expensive at least in the near future until more body shops get up to speed, right now if you take it to a body shop that is not Ford certified, your warranty is done. There aren't that many certified shops YET. As for the engine, The smaller 2.7 eco boost V6 has 325 HP and 375 ft-lb of torque. which is only 60 HP and 9 fl-lbs of torque off of the 5.0 V8, so that's just silly.

I'm on my Second F series. A 2015 crew cab F250 single wheel 4x4. I love them

Warranty doesn't cover body damage.

V6 turbo may not be considered equal to a v8 of similar specs. Durability.

Most body work for accident damage is replacement and painting of panels. What difference does it make (other then weight) does it make what the panels are made lf?

Warranty doesn't cover body damage.

V6 turbo may not be considered equal to a v8 of similar specs. Durability.

Most body work for accident damage is replacement and painting of panels. What difference does it make (other then weight) does it make what the panels are made lf?

The warranty does however cover corrosion and other things, which can be influenced by a non certified body shop working on it.

Essentially, it's Fords way of voiding your warranty if given the chance.

Durability of the Eco Boost engine is not a problem.

Lots of old f-100 and f-150s running around my neck of the woods. Not too many c/k series though. The fords just seem to last longer and require less major repairs. I've got an '89 F150 XLT Lariat that just won't quit.

100_0778.jpg

Lots of old f-100 and f-150s running around my neck of the woods. Not too many c/k series though. The fords just seem to last longer and require less major repairs. I've got an '89 F150 XLT Lariat that just won't quit.

100_0778.jpg

The newer Ford's with the Triton engines can get expensive to work on though.

Forum List

Back