F**K Me! How many of you Yanks knew this?

Saddam Hussein was already moving away from the USD before the invasion and that certainly was a consideration.

We have the inaction of the UN in Darfur while China rapes the area for oil. Then we have the fuck-ups of regulations leading to more fuck-ups in the bond markets with few regulations combined with wasteful spending to save industries with sucking chest wounds, it all comes as more nails for the coffin of the USD in international markets.

IMHO.

i'm really ignorant about some of these issues. But there was talk that one of the reasons that saddam was deposed was because he was starting a move to dump the dollar as the currency of oil in favor of the euro.

and while i understand there may be certain benefits to the devaluation of the dollar, i'm thinking there are huge potential downsides.

If the international currency for oil is not the devalued dollar but in inflated euros, guess who is going to pay more, a lot more, for gasoline, Jillian? Yep, you, me, and every last American citizen.

Saddam Hussein was already moving away from the USD before the invasion and that certainly was a consideration.

We have the inaction of the UN in Darfur while China rapes the area for oil. Then we have the fuck-ups of regulations leading to more fuck-ups in the bond markets with few regulations combined with wasteful spending to save industries with sucking chest wounds, it all comes as more nails for the coffin of the USD in international markets.

IMHO.

Seriously, knowing this will keep the US from continuing dominance, it is deserved. US no longer is a leader. In hock to beyond eyeballs. Started with Bush, escalated steroid like with Obama. It's time for US to be second rate country, letting others lead.

IMHO.

Seriously, knowing this will keep the US from continuing dominance, it is deserved. US no longer is a leader. In hock to beyond eyeballs. Started with Bush, escalated steroid like with Obama. It's time for US to be second rate country, letting others lead.
IMO, a significant portion of the motivation for the invasion of Iraq was to prevent the USD from losing its dominance. And, it was a good idea with respect to the USD to prevent that. Sadly, Rumsfeld messed up, we spent more than we needed on that war because of that, then the homefront was mismanaged. And, now, we have even more mismanagement. I am not surprised and the sad thing is that subsequent mismanagement and inaction elsewhere has ensured that one of those (speculated) motivations for the invasion was in vain, IMHO.

Jake/Jillian

However, it will allow you to pay off your debt quicker and increase manufacturing due to more exports. People outside of the US will buy its products if the price is right. If I was asked to pay $50 for a Chinese-made item or $50 for the exact same item but manufactured in the US, I'd take the US item due to quality issues.

Jake/Jillian

However, it will allow you to pay off your debt quicker and increase manufacturing due to more exports. People outside of the US will buy its products if the price is right. If I was asked to pay $50 for a Chinese-made item or $50 for the exact same item but manufactured in the US, I'd take the US item due to quality issues.

That's fine in terms of overall economic health. But if people can't afford to pay for gas or pay their oil bills, that could be a mess. Also, if the cost of energy increases at that level, then the cost of goods would increase proportionately, no?

Jake/Jillian

That's fine in terms of overall economic health. But if people can't afford to pay for gas or pay their oil bills, that could be a mess. Also, if the cost of energy increases at that level, then the cost of goods would increase proportionately, no?

There's increases and then there's increases. Nuclear power I say!

Jake/Jillian

There's increases and then there's increases. Nuclear power I say!

i don't believe in nuclear power until we have a means of disposing of waste.

plus, having seen my neighbor down the hall who hails from chernobyl lose his throat to radiation-caused cancer, i'm not on board with that yet.

Considering that some of you seem to be open to the idea that the Iraq invasion was about the Dollar, then I would assume that you would also entertain the idea that a lot of the fear mongering towards Iran is shrouded in that same issue.

If we can't prove our military dominance over Middle Eastern nations, then they can get to a point where they don't have to be scared into accepting the Dollar for trade anymore.

Our military threat is really all we have left to cling to. Sooner or later, we're going to run out of ability to militarily dominate any nation at will. We resemble the Roman Empire in SO many different ways these days, it's not even funny.

Yes, because even though no one wants to admit it, we still need oil because it powers the current economic machinery.

Considering that some of you seem to be open to the idea that the Iraq invasion was about the Dollar, then I would assume that you would also entertain the idea that a lot of the fear mongering towards Iran is shrouded in that same issue.

If we can't prove our military dominance over Middle Eastern nations, then they can get to a point where they don't have to be scared into accepting the Dollar for trade anymore.

Our military threat is really all we have left to cling to. Sooner or later, we're going to run out of ability to militarily dominate any nation at will. We resemble the Roman Empire in SO many different ways these days, it's not even funny.
I don't need any mongering to be fearful of proliferation of nuclear weapons.

plus, having seen my neighbor down the hall who hails from chernobyl lose his throat to radiation-caused cancer, i'm not on board with that yet.

Managed properly, nuclear power is fine. It depends on who's doing the managing. Chernobyl was being run by a govt that had no money and cut corners...it showed...

I don't need any mongering to be fearful of proliferation of nuclear weapons.

Iraq was supposedly "proliferating" too, remember?

Don't believe everything you hear or read about. Not to say Iran ISN'T producing a weapon, but there's still no proof. Let's at least not hastily engage in another bankrupting war over it, huh?

Managed properly, nuclear power is fine. It depends on who's doing the managing. Chernobyl was being run by a govt that had no money and cut corners...it showed...

and there's a guarantee that the quality of management wouldn't change depending on who was running things here?

i keep thinking of "you're doing a heck of a job" brownie at FEMA.

If their goal is reached, all the foreign aid we do will be worthless. That's the first thing that should immediately go.

Let them be the feeder and helper of the world.

and there's a guarantee that the quality of management wouldn't change depending on who was running things here?

i keep thinking of "you're doing a heck of a job" brownie at FEMA.
:confused: FEMA has nothing to do with regulation of nuclear power. That's the NRC and DoE.

Forum List

Back