F.e.a.r.

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
Wow, just wow. I just got through playing the 15-30 minute demo of this game and it's SWEET. It's the new Half-Life, and it's scarier than HL2. First off, the effects of combat show full force. The intense physics engine produces more of a "ragdoll" environment than simply ragdoll people. Stuff gets knocked around and rolls on the ground the way it would in real life. You'll also see chips knocked out of walls, holes put through stuff, and, in general, things get TRASHED during gunfights. It really adds to the immersion, as in traditional shooters, gunfights leave small, 2D bullethole textures on the object, while this one actually shows the destruction you might expect after a gunfight. The guns are also sufficiently loud and battles sufficiently chaotic to get these virtual shootouts closer to the loud, violent, lightning-fast shootouts of the real world. Now, it's hard to survive such shootouts, which is why you're a supersoldier engineered with fast reflexes in the form of Matrix style "bullet time."

Now, with all the stuff I've listed, I haven't gotten to the best part. Well, the game's name is F.E.A.R., and for good reason. Officially, it stands for First Encounter Action Recon and is a government unit created in 2002 to respond to supernatural events. In this case, an army of cloned soldiers has been taken over by some nutcase who has a mean cannibalistic streak. He doesn't even bother to kill the victims first. All the while, the chick from "The Ring" keeps showing up and giggling. This is the demo, mind you, and I found myself genuinely terrified of this girl, as at random times, she would giggle, then run across my path, only the dissappear or fade into a noxious looking cloud. She's also the main feature in one (of several, I'm sure) hallucinogenic scene that involves scaring the living sh*t out of you, then droping you back into the real world in time to see something equally disturbing. Many times, you'll be in an already tense situation only to have a hallucination pop up at you and say something cryptic along with one of those sound effects they play in a Japanese horror movie when something jumps out at you. The game draws heavily (perhaps too heavily) from this movie genre and from the genre defining "Half-Life." If you like these two things, go buy this game as soon as it hits shelves, like I probably will. If you like one of them, you should get this game. If you like neither, you may like this game, anyway.

On first assessment, I must agree with the 92% rating given to this game by PCGamer. According to their article, the multiplayer also has its ups, as in one multiplayer mode, one person controls the slo-mo thing and must be killed for it to change hands, which sounds cool. As soon as I finish the game, I'll post an update.

damn. My system can still barely handle HL2. Gonna have to upgrade the ole video card again soon. Get me a 256mb. The 512's are out there right now right? So 256 should be cheap.

Finished the game tonight and HOLY CRAP!! I think that thing shaved another 10 years off my life. I'd love to say more about it, but spoilers truly do ruin this game. I'll just say that the ending is very worthy of the game's Japanese horror roots, and the other ending after the credits is worthy of its video game roots. It's really sweet.

Oh, and by the way, if you want some really freaky/creepy endings and storylines in a game, definitely check out the Silent Hill series, especially 2 and 3.

Dan said:
You've got me curious now. Any chance this is coming out on the PS2?

Doubtful, dan. The specs this thing is eating up, it would only be a next gen port. PS3 or XBOX 360 are the only things even close that could handle a port and even with that i dont know if itll do it justice. It'd be like trying to play Metal Gear Solid 3 on the NES. It'd be a game, but would it be the same experience?

Yeah, I've got a 64 bit 3600+ with GB of dual channel DDR RAM and a 128 MB DDR Radeon 9600 video card and I had to tone back the graphics a little. The thing's a MONSTER, but it looks...so...SWEET! And did I mention the slo-mo where the bullet trails ACTUALLY look like they did in "The Matrix?"

Oh, and let's not forget the awesomeness, yet system hog of the realistic gun battles. When a bullet hits the wall, it doesn't just post a 2D bullet hole, it takes a chunk out of the wall and sprays dust all over the place. In fact, I sometimes had to retreat from a gun battle just so the dust could settle enough for me to see the bad guys. Bullets actually look dangerous in this game. It's also just really sweet to see a full dismemberment via explosion in slow motion. The thing may evetually port to console, but in the meantime, get it and a PC that can handle it. It's the bomb.

Forum List

Back