Exxon CEO Advocates Emissions Tax

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
The chief executive of Exxon Mobil Corp. for the first time called on Congress to enact a tax on greenhouse-gas emissions in order to fight global warming.

In a speech in Washington, Rex Tillerson said that a tax was a "more direct, a more transparent and a more effective approach" to curtailing greenhouse gases than other plans popular in Congress and with the incoming Obama administration.

"My greatest concern is that policy makers will attempt to mandate or ordain solutions that are doomed to fail," Mr. Tillerson said.

The policy he is advocating is often called a carbon tax because it would be imposed on emissions of carbon dioxide, the most common man-made greenhouse gas. By backing it, Mr. Tillerson has become an unlikely member of a club that includes former Vice President Al Gore, consumer advocate Ralph Nader and President-elect Barack Obama's designated head of the National Economic Council, Larry Summers.

Exxon CEO Advocates Emissions Tax - WSJ.com

When the CEO of Exxon - by far the most important company opposing the global warming thesis - starts advocating for a tax on greenhouse taxes, you know the debate is pretty much over.

Exxon CEO Advocates Emissions Tax - WSJ.com

When the CEO of Exxon - by far the most important company opposing the global warming thesis - starts advocating for a tax on greenhouse taxes, you know the debate is pretty much over.

Hell I'm sure he'd rather the consumers all pay taxes----once the government gets a piece of that gold mine there is no way they are going push for alternative energies.

Hell I'm sure he'd rather the consumers all pay taxes----once the government gets a piece of that gold mine there is no way they are going push for alternative energies.

Taxes on conventional energy increase the cost of conventional energy, which increases the incentive to develop alternative forms of energy.

The government cannot keep their noses out of it. Just the action of eliminating the subsidies for coal and petroleum will change the equation. Alternative energies will also require a new grid, a grid going to places that are quite out of the way at present. A distributed grid would be a real plus for this nation, capable of picking up small homeowner generation as well as gigawatt point sources.

Forum List

Back