Extrovert or Introvert?

First meeting I am an introvert. If I feel comfortable, I become an extrovert. Then if things start getting deep, I revert back to an introvert.

First meeting I am an introvert. If I feel comfortable, I become an extrovert. Then if things start getting deep, I revert back to an introvert.

I have run into the "if things start getting deep, I revert back to an introvert" several times. Have you figured out what the catalyst is for that?

How many of you find yourselves drawn to your opposite (as a whole)?

To an extent. I don't think anyone is always an introvert or always an extrovert in any relationship, but a balance of both depending on the situation and circumstances. I find myself drawn to people who complement my own tendencies, certainly - but not so totally opposite we can't understand each other.

I don't think you can neatly divide humanity into introvert, extrovert. I, for example, am very friendly and make a lot of jokes at work, yet I'm basically not very socially outgoing. On my off time I most enjoy spending time in solitary activities, and I don't really feel comfortable in many social situations.

I have run into the "if things start getting deep, I revert back to an introvert" several times. Have you figured out what the catalyst is for that?

When things first start getting "deep", there's a new level of trust and vulnerability involved. It can take time to really be comfortable expressing that in an extroverted way. IMO, that's where a lot of relationships tend to fall apart, when that level is reached and one or the other sees that little bit of shyness as pulling back or rejection.

I don't think you can neatly divide humanity into introvert, extrovert. I, for example, am very friendly and make a lot of jokes at work, yet I'm basically not very socially outgoing. On my off time I most enjoy spending time in solitary activities, and I don't really feel comfortable in many social situations.

Certainly there is some overlap. I do think each of us has primary tendencies in one of the areas, (as a whole) when it comes to interpersonal relationships.

I think it's a combination of a self-defense mechanism, as well as desiring someone who sort of takes charge. In the end, I want someone who will lead me to trust them to becoming as fully extroverted as possible. Please don't anyone give me any grief about being a submissive woman...I can take charge when necessary.:lol:

When things first start getting "deep", there's a new level of trust and vulnerability involved. It can take time to really be comfortable expressing that in an extroverted way. IMO, that's where a lot of relationships tend to fall apart, when that level is reached and one or the other sees that little bit of shyness as pulling back or rejection.

Excellent observation.

I think it's a combination of a self-defense mechanism, as well as desiring someone who sort of takes charge. In the end, I want someone who will lead me to trust them to becoming as fully extroverted as possible. Please don't anyone give me any grief about being a submissive woman...I can take charge when necessary.:lol:

Is that self-defense mechanism due to being hurt in past relationships? How did the guy you were with at the time deal with you going back to introvert, after being extrovert with your thoughts and feelings?

Forum List

Back