~Extreme Cheapskates~

My father in law is the number one cheapskate I have ever seen.

My stepmom is a hoarder, and that is awful, truly awful.

Hoarding. Jeez. Such an amazing and terrible affliction. Just sad.

My mother was probably borderline. You couldn't sit down in her living room without moving a stack of magazine and papers first.

A while back I visited someone who is a hoarder and I knew a hoarder neighbor several years ago. Makes me want to get rid of stuff.

In the long course of human history, humble TP (as we know it today) was only invented in about 1880. What did people do before that? They used anything that they could find (including catalogs and magazine pages). I would think that nice, soft rags would be rather pleasant instead of harsh paper products. It is nostalgic to use practices of our ancestors to help us save money, especially if the money saved helps the family budget so that they can get by in this lousy economy. We do what we must to make it. If you are interested, just do a search for toilet paper invention history.

I watched just two episodes of the show several months back. I was completely ok with watching it until a lady was fishing through the trash in NYC outside of an upscale deli. She got herself food and also food for some guests she was having over straight from the trash. I'm pretty sure she pulled some chicken out of there, too. Oh then she threw everything all in one pot to heat up and presented the meal to her guests. If I couldn't stomach watching it, I can definintely understand why her guests couldn't stomach seeing or smelling it. I haven't watched another episode since.

This is a real television show on TLC...it's on right now.
Called Extreme Cheapskates, it's a show about people who are so frugal.....cheap!...that they go to extreme measures to save money.
One guy goes to a diner/restaurant, and when he sees someone getting ready to leave their table, if they have food left on their plate--he will ask them if they are done, and if so, can he have the food they left remaining on their plate.
Yes he got weird looks, but everyone said he could take the food.
He says "It's good food, no reason to let it go to waste"....and yes he takes it home to eat later.

But get this one...this is crazy!!!
One lady refuses to buy toilet tissue.
She uses wash cloths for her family...she has about 2 or 3 children, and she has a stack of old rags, look like tattered wash cloths, and that is what they use for ass wipe......:eek:
When her and the children use the toilet, they use the rags and then toss the dirty rags into a diaper pail looking thing, perhaps a waste basket.
She says she never spends money on toilet tissue.....claims it's cheaper to use the rags and wash them!!!!!
Re-using toilet tissue...who'd a thunk it??
OMFG.....I am a bit stunned at this one...anyone else care to chime in?? ~LoL~

Read about this woman:
Hetty Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I read a biographer of her many, many years ago and never forgot it. Had a big impact. A real miser.

This show is not about being a cheapskate. It is about profiting on mental illness.

Called Extreme Cheapskates, it's a show about people who are so frugal.....cheap!...that they go to extreme measures to save money.
One guy goes to a diner/restaurant, and when he sees someone getting ready to leave their table, if they have food left on their plate--he will ask them if they are done, and if so, can he have the food they left remaining on their plate.
He says "It's good food, no reason to let it go to waste"....and yes he takes it home to eat later.

She uses wash cloths for her family...she has about 2 or 3 children, and she has a stack of old rags, look like tattered wash cloths, and that is what they use for ass wipe......:eek:
When her and the children use the toilet, they use the rags and then toss the dirty rags into a diaper pail looking thing, perhaps a waste basket.
She says she never spends money on toilet tissue.....claims it's cheaper to use the rags and wash them!!!!!

This expensive illness I have has gotten me thinking more than usual about where money goes. How much money do we spend for on single use items which were purchased with the knowledge we would be throwing away the product? Examples:

Toilet paper
Paper towels
Paper napkins
Trash bags
Paper plates
Paper/plastic/styrofoam cups
Paper tablecloths
Aluminum foil
Zip lock bags all sizes
Cooking tins of all types
Wax paper
Plastic wrap
Ribbons
Giftwrap
Disposable diapers
Newspapers
Magazines
Envelopes
Stamps

And what about food wrappers? How much do we pay for the package. Sometime I am sure the package costs more than the product itself!

I think we would be shocked if we added this all up.

Of all those items, I only use these:
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Paper napkins
Trash bags (but mostly use the bags I get at the store when I buy things)

I avoid products that are over packaged.

This expensive illness I have has gotten me thinking more than usual about where money goes. How much money do we spend for on single use items which were purchased with the knowledge we would be throwing away the product? Examples:

Toilet paper
Paper towels
Paper napkins
Trash bags
Paper plates
Paper/plastic/styrofoam cups
Paper tablecloths
Aluminum foil
Zip lock bags all sizes
Cooking tins of all types
Wax paper
Plastic wrap
Ribbons
Giftwrap
Disposable diapers
Newspapers
Magazines
Envelopes
Stamps

And what about food wrappers? How much do we pay for the package. Sometime I am sure the package costs more than the product itself!

I think we would be shocked if we added this all up.

Of all those items, I only use these:
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Paper napkins
Trash bags (but mostly use the bags I get at the store when I buy things)

I avoid products that are over packaged.

So do we but I'm continually amazed and, uh, chagrined at the waste that comes from a household of two. I can't imagine the volume of trash that big families use once and throw away.

Read about this woman:
Hetty Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I read a biographer of her many, many years ago and never forgot it. Had a big impact. A real miser.

I remember reading about her too. Made a huge impression on me because I'm pretty fanatical about saving too. Nothing like her though.

I have a friend from Peru who works as a teacher, lives in a nice house, drives an older care she paid cash for, dresses nicely and easily saves enough to invest as well as travel to Peru a couple of times a year to visit her family. Back when all my investments were in rental properties, I helped her shop for her house and was just astounded at how much she had saved for a down payment.

This show is not about being a cheapskate. It is about profiting on mental illness.

That's true about many/most of the so-called "reality shows".

Right, how true is that? It's like the old days, the side show circus.

jrcsposter1.jpg

About 50% of television seems to be at this level, with the inclusion of soap operas. We haven't evolved much.

Forum List

Back