~Extreme Cheapskates~

Dabs

~Unpredictable~
May 13, 2011
~Tennessee~
This is a real television show on TLC...it's on right now.
Called Extreme Cheapskates, it's a show about people who are so frugal.....cheap!...that they go to extreme measures to save money.
One guy goes to a diner/restaurant, and when he sees someone getting ready to leave their table, if they have food left on their plate--he will ask them if they are done, and if so, can he have the food they left remaining on their plate.
Yes he got weird looks, but everyone said he could take the food.
He says "It's good food, no reason to let it go to waste"....and yes he takes it home to eat later.

But get this one...this is crazy!!!
One lady refuses to buy toilet tissue.
She uses wash cloths for her family...she has about 2 or 3 children, and she has a stack of old rags, look like tattered wash cloths, and that is what they use for ass wipe......:eek:
When her and the children use the toilet, they use the rags and then toss the dirty rags into a diaper pail looking thing, perhaps a waste basket.
She says she never spends money on toilet tissue.....claims it's cheaper to use the rags and wash them!!!!!
Re-using toilet tissue...who'd a thunk it??
OMFG.....I am a bit stunned at this one...anyone else care to chime in?? ~LoL~

Called Extreme Cheapskates, it's a show about people who are so frugal.....cheap!...that they go to extreme measures to save money.
One guy goes to a diner/restaurant, and when he sees someone getting ready to leave their table, if they have food left on their plate--he will ask them if they are done, and if so, can he have the food they left remaining on their plate.
He says "It's good food, no reason to let it go to waste"....and yes he takes it home to eat later.

She uses wash cloths for her family...she has about 2 or 3 children, and she has a stack of old rags, look like tattered wash cloths, and that is what they use for ass wipe......:eek:
When her and the children use the toilet, they use the rags and then toss the dirty rags into a diaper pail looking thing, perhaps a waste basket.
She says she never spends money on toilet tissue.....claims it's cheaper to use the rags and wash them!!!!!

Go see Hortyisirs avatar.

Last edited:

Gross.

I have already seen his avi.....it doesn't bother me.
But I think using wash cloths in place of toilet tissue, then just washing them and using them again and again...is really odd!!

But I think using wash cloths in place of toilet tissue, then just washing them and using them again and again...is really odd!!

I agree its a bit extreme to save money that way. Not to mention kind of unsanitary for the appliances used to clean them in. That avi tho is..? Ick....:eusa_sick:

Last edited:

I remember when they did the same thing with cloth baby diapers. Nobody thought that odd.

I saw a History channel version of modern Marvels called bathroom tech. It said in pilgrim days they used old corn cobs that had been soaked in water for wiping purposes. they didnt explain the wiping technique though.

This expensive illness I have has gotten me thinking more than usual about where money goes. How much money do we spend for on single use items which were purchased with the knowledge we would be throwing away the product? Examples:

Toilet paper
Paper towels
Paper napkins
Trash bags
Paper plates
Paper/plastic/styrofoam cups
Paper tablecloths
Aluminum foil
Zip lock bags all sizes
Cooking tins of all types
Wax paper
Plastic wrap
Ribbons
Giftwrap
Disposable diapers
Newspapers
Magazines
Envelopes
Stamps

And what about food wrappers? How much do we pay for the package. Sometime I am sure the package costs more than the product itself!

I think we would be shocked if we added this all up.

Last edited:

I remember when they did the same thing with cloth baby diapers. Nobody thought that odd.

Yeah...BABIES wore them....till they were potty trained. But you sure as hell didn't see adults wearing them....well, not in public and unless deemed necessary.

Yeah...BABIES wore them....till they were potty trained. But you sure as hell didn't see adults wearing them....well, not in public and unless deemed necessary.

No one said adults did wear them. However, I'm sure the nursing home workers are quite thankful for disposable adult diapers.

My aunt and uncle were cheapos. They never bought sugar, ketchup and the like . . they used to pilfer the little packets from restaurants. Probably left crappy tips too.

I love to save money, use coupons combined with sales and such and stock up when ever I can, hell we have enough body wash and soap to last till next Christmas cause I hit some awesome sales with mega coupons . . . but using rags as tp? That's totally disgusting and crosses the line.

I use ziploc freezer bags but reuse them until they fall apart, reuse plastic and paper bags from the grocery store, plastic containers for leftovers (mostly I have glass containers for this but the few plastic ones I have get used until they fall apart . . . or I forget them in the back of the fridge and they turn black. :eek:)

TLC should rename itself TEC because nearly every show is nothing but 'extreme'. :rolleyes:

and what do you think women used before the invention of pads and tampons?

they be on the ragggggg

I love living in an age where personal hygiene is what it is . . . the olden days have little appeal to me in this regard.

bingo.....

but you really have to think about what the good old days encompass.....

me, i am not much for the good old days.....they werent that good and they were that old...but there is something to be said for living in slower times....where eveything wasnt measured in nano seconds

and what do you think women used before the invention of pads and tampons?

they be on the ragggggg

I love living in an age where personal hygiene is what it is . . . the olden days have little appeal to me in this regard.

bingo.....

but you really have to think about what the good old days encompass.....

me, i am not much for the good old days.....they werent that good and they were that old...but there is something to be said for living in slower times....where eveything wasnt measured in nano seconds

People used to have time to actually think before responding to someone/something . . . that seems to be a forgotten art for the most part.

i dont give instant answers......never have....i like to mull things over for a while then speak my mind

unless i am pissed then i got all the answers right there lol

I am new to this site, and this is the first forum I have seen. I must say that I am surprised by the fact that nobody seems to know that until VERY recently, there was no such thing as disposable diapers. People (women, mostly) had ONLY cloth diapers to use. We took soiled ones off. Put them in a diaper bucket. Then washed them. It was a NORMAL thing we did in life. How is cloth TP any different than a baby diaper? A good washing, is all it takes to sanitize the cloths - just like the baby's diapers. No big deal.

My father in law is the number one cheapskate I have ever seen.

My stepmom is a hoarder, and that is awful, truly awful.

This expensive illness I have has gotten me thinking more than usual about where money goes. How much money do we spend for on single use items which were purchased with the knowledge we would be throwing away the product? Examples:

Toilet paper
Paper towels
Paper napkins
Trash bags
Paper plates
Paper/plastic/styrofoam cups
Paper tablecloths
Aluminum foil
Zip lock bags all sizes
Cooking tins of all types
Wax paper
Plastic wrap
Ribbons
Giftwrap
Disposable diapers
Newspapers
Magazines
Envelopes
Stamps

And what about food wrappers? How much do we pay for the package. Sometime I am sure the package costs more than the product itself!

I think we would be shocked if we added this all up.

Very good point.

We recycle everything we can and when you actually separate plastic, paper, aluminum, cans, glass, you really see how wasteful we are. On trash day, the smallest bag we take out is the actual trash bag. Plastic and paper for recycle are much bigger.

I am new to this site, and this is the first forum I have seen. I must say that I am surprised by the fact that nobody seems to know that until VERY recently, there was no such thing as disposable diapers. People (women, mostly) had ONLY cloth diapers to use. We took soiled ones off. Put them in a diaper bucket. Then washed them. It was a NORMAL thing we did in life. How is cloth TP any different than a baby diaper? A good washing, is all it takes to sanitize the cloths - just like the baby's diapers. No big deal.

[MENTION=48508]StarWish624[/MENTION]

True. Cheaper to use cloth diapers, even from a service than plastic disposable. Disposable is really just another word for permanent.

But, no way would I wash cloths rather than use TP.

Welcome to the board.

Forum List

Back