'Extraordinary Evidence Demands Extraordinary...'

Is not all this dialogue mere sound and fury, signifying nothing?
I am smarter than YOU!
(No, I am smarter than YOU!)
No, not really.

Being smarter than someone is really a subjective thing in most cases, and something that successful people do not concern themselves with at all.

Seldom have I seen a wiser response than yours above. It contrasts with the liberal narrative, viz., that they are unequivocally smarter than anyone else, and it is their primary concern to voice that inalienable fact (as they see it) to everyone else around them. The inference therefore is that liberals are not successful people. I agree. They are miserable, and they wish to bring others down to their level of misery and feigned intellectual superiority.

Now to abruptly change the subject, you have a color coded map of the U.S. that I have not seen before, and with it, a code of the colors. I cannot expand those to read what they say but I'm sure they are very informative. Please provide me with enlarged versions. If you do, I promise I will be your best friend!

P.S. Great name, by the way.

Anyone can access science. The process is a self-correcting mechanism because the people who study those subjects are forcing themselves to show the work and it has to be repeatable.

Trust, but verify.

Ah yes, this "self-correcting mechanism" is so very sophisticated that every person alive uses it, as does every animal alive, as does every plant alive. Roots search for water, and find it! Leaves search for light, and find it! Cut off a branch and the tree does not die. It self-corrects!

Science isn't so fast.

"Self-correcting Mechanism"

Ah, but godless Leftists insist with a condescending air of smug self-satisfaction, "Science has a mechanism of self-correction". Well duh! So does every human alive. So does every animal alive. So does every plant alive. How does this common trait of living organisms make "science" the ultimate, magisterial enterprise they pretend when in fact it is as ubiquitous as, and practiced by, bacteria ‽ (interrobang)

Moreover, science's "self-correcting mechanism" is arguably the slowest such mechanism known to man. For example, Haeckel's drawings, ostensibly demonstrating the evolutionary saw , "ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny," was exposed as a fraud in 1859 in a German court. Ernst Haeckel admitted that he faked the drawings because everyone faked science. His phony drawings continued to be published as "science" as recently as 2003.

"Science advances one funeral at a time." - Max Planck

So, basically, you’re intention is to spam the board with the same cut and paste nonsense across multiple threads.

Seldom have I seen a wiser response than yours above. It contrasts with the liberal narrative, viz., that they are unequivocally smarter than anyone else, and it is their primary concern to voice that inalienable fact (as they see it) to everyone else around them. The inference therefore is that liberals are not successful people. I agree. They are miserable, and they wish to bring others down to their level of misery and feigned intellectual superiority.

Now to abruptly change the subject, you have a color coded map of the U.S. that I have not seen before, and with it, a code of the colors. I cannot expand those to read what they say but I'm sure they are very informative. Please provide me with enlarged versions. If you do, I promise I will be your best friend!

P.S. Great name, by the way.
Thanks for the compliment. My wife works hard to keep me humble, and fairly successfully.

As to the map, if you are referring to the one in my signature, it is a projection of the 2020 results with an average turn out, red is Trump, orange is Dem flip to Trump, the rest are American Third World states.

:D

Thanks for the compliment. My wife works hard to keep me humble, and fairly successfully.

That is her job, to drive you crazy. Yours is to wear old raggedy clothes, fart and pick your nose.

As to the map, if you are referring to the one in my signature, it is a projection of the 2020 results with an average turn out, red is Trump, orange is Dem flip to Trump, the rest are American Third World states.

:D

I live in the craziest one.

People's Republic of California

The commonly repeated phrase 'Extraordinary claims demands extraordinary evidence.' would seem to be an example of confirmation bias.

An assertion or claim only seems to be extraordinary due to existing theories or experience sets. The Confirmation Bias' fallacy says that we tend to tailor evidence to meet our expectations and so we shouldn't allow our expectations to influence our perceptions. The scientific method is alone the valid method to be used.

How is demanding a higher level of evidence for anything that disrupts our current view of Reality NOT confirmation bias and a violation of objective testing?

This is an interesting topic. Thank you.
I think it is more complex than confirmation bias. If there is a clash of claims between two opposing groups, (e.g. Right vs Left; or Christians vs Atheists) confirmation bias can abound. Both groups strive for deeper investigation to prove the other side wrong.

If the extraordinary claim is within one group. The bias is between the old way and the new way. For example relativity was considered preposterous by some of Einsteins elder classical peers. There is much investigation to test extraordinary claims of new science theories, but very little investigation (as far as I know) to try to cling to the old science theories. For example, I don't know of any experiments that tried to more firmly embed classical physics in order to reject quantum mechanics.

Yes, I know I'm nit picking, but I think it is useful to try to understand the nature of how new concepts are disdained or embraced.

An assertion or claim only seems to be extraordinary due to existing theories or experience sets.
You are missing the most important part: it is extraordinary in light of the EVIDENCE. And that's not a matter of bias. If a mountain of objective, empirical evidence shows us that, for example, an object must be launched at a certain speed to enter Earth orbit -- then the claim is made that someone can launch thmselves into orbit at a fraction of the speed -- that is an extraordinary claim.

Where is the opinion in this? Where is the subjective "bias"? There isn't any. So i reject your entire line of reasoning.

Yes, I know I'm nit picking, but I think it is useful to try to understand the nature of how new concepts are disdained or embraced.
Yeah, Thomas Khun in his famous book on the topic of the structure of scientific revolutions focused on this matter of a paradigm shift in interconnected theories that reflect a world view among the scientific establishment, and how they resisted new theories.

But that is not how SCIENCE IS SUPPOSED TO WORK!

This claim regarding extraordinary ideas requiring extraordinary proof is the kind of horse shit you hear from people how dabble with science but really do not grasp the underlying concept of science and its role in our conceptual models of the universe.

This claim regarding extraordinary ideas requiring extraordinary proof is the kind of horse shit you hear from people how dabble with science but really do not grasp the underlying concept of science and its role in our conceptual models of the universe.
Total horseshit. That is actually called the "Sagan Standard". Maybe you have heard of him.

But that is not how SCIENCE IS SUPPOSED TO WORK!
Of course it is. When all the ordinary evidence contradicts your claim, it is considered extraordinary. And, inherently, now requires extraordinary evodence.

This entire thread is just another religious nutball Trojan horse that doesn't belong in the science section. Take your magical voodoo horseshit walking.

How stupid can you get, boasting in public about your felonious actions to prop up your drug addict loser son.
Feel his leg hair and put your children in his lap. He loves kids in his lap.

Forum List

Back