Extra! Infants Win The Election!

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I never dreamed that, in my lifetime, I'd see the majority of the electorate volunteer to be infantilized, as Tocqueville predicted:

1. Alexis de Tocqueville, writing “Democracy in America” in the 1830’s, described “an immense, tutelary power, which takes sole charge of assuring their enjoyment and of watching over their fate.” As he predicted, this power is “absolute, attentive to detail, regular, provident, and gentle,” and it “works willingly for their happiness, but it wishes to be the only agent and the sole arbiter of that happiness. It provides for their security, foresees and supplies their needs, guides them in their principal affairs, directs their industry, regulates their testaments, divides their inheritances.” It is entirely proper to ask, as he asked, whether it can “relieve them entirely of the trouble of thinking and of the effort associated with living.”

The same, written more recently:

2. “Before the ‘tipping point,’ Americans remain independent and take responsibility for their own well-being. Once we have gone beyond the "tipping point," that self-sufficient outlook will be gradually transformed into a soft despotism a lot like Europe's social welfare states. Soft despotism isn't cruel or mean, it's kindly and sympathetic. It doesn't help anyone take charge of life, but it does keep everyone in a happy state of childhood. A growing centralized bureaucracy will provide for everyone's needs, care for everyone's heath, direct everyone's career, arrange everyone's important private affairs, and work for everyone's pleasure. The only hitch is, government must be the sole supplier of everyone's happiness ... the shepherd over this flock of sheep.” RealClearPolitics - Should America Bid Farewell to Exceptional Freedom?

And, from "A Nation of Moochers: America's Addiction to Getting Something for Nothing," by Charles J. Sykes:

3. To be on the wrong side of the ‘tipping point,’ one loses self-respect, independence, and ultimately, freedom: dependency changes one’s relationship with government, as one must cling to a sense of victimhood and incapacity. Compare that to the other side, the belief that the average American is competent to navigate his own life; that parents are capable of raising their own children; that most Americans are fully able to pursue happiness with only an occasional helping hand. For example, the GI Bill was underpinned by the well-founded assumption that given a chance at a college education, the Greatest Generation would be able to take advantage of the opportunity…and it was!

4. For the Left, there is the Assumption of Incompetence….unable, incapable, incompetent. The nanny is caring, compassionate….but smothering. Basically, it’s motto is ‘We care so much about you, that we’ll take over from here and run your life for you.” Appearing to be compassion, the Assumption of Incompetence actually treats ‘clients’ with a mixture of pity and contempt. Ibid.

5. A dedication to the Obama voters:

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.
"The Hollow Men," TS Eliot

Another rambling unsubstantiated cut and paste

Thank you PC....that was super interesting

Another rambling unsubstantiated cut and paste

Thank you PC....that was super interesting

Imagine how stunning you'll find it when you develop the insight to understand it!

But seriously....I understand your resentment, as it identifies your dependency, and your need to have others take care of you.

You have been nothing but WRONG in your every prediction of the effects of policy.

Your a failure.

get it.

start accepting facts instead of propaganda.

I never dreamed that, in my lifetime, I'd see the majority of the electorate volunteer to be infantilized, as Tocqueville predicted:

1. Alexis de Tocqueville, writing “Democracy in America” in the 1830’s, described “an immense, tutelary power, which takes sole charge of assuring their enjoyment and of watching over their fate.” As he predicted, this power is “absolute, attentive to detail, regular, provident, and gentle,” and it “works willingly for their happiness, but it wishes to be the only agent and the sole arbiter of that happiness. It provides for their security, foresees and supplies their needs, guides them in their principal affairs, directs their industry, regulates their testaments, divides their inheritances.” It is entirely proper to ask, as he asked, whether it can “relieve them entirely of the trouble of thinking and of the effort associated with living.”

2. “Before the ‘tipping point,’ Americans remain independent and take responsibility for their own well-being. Once we have gone beyond the "tipping point," that self-sufficient outlook will be gradually transformed into a soft despotism a lot like Europe's social welfare states. Soft despotism isn't cruel or mean, it's kindly and sympathetic. It doesn't help anyone take charge of life, but it does keep everyone in a happy state of childhood. A growing centralized bureaucracy will provide for everyone's needs, care for everyone's heath, direct everyone's career, arrange everyone's important private affairs, and work for everyone's pleasure. The only hitch is, government must be the sole supplier of everyone's happiness ... the shepherd over this flock of sheep.” RealClearPolitics - Should America Bid Farewell to Exceptional Freedom?

And, from "A Nation of Moochers: America's Addiction to Getting Something for Nothing," by Charles J. Sykes:

3. To be on the wrong side of the ‘tipping point,’ one loses self-respect, independence, and ultimately, freedom: dependency changes one’s relationship with government, as one must cling to a sense of victimhood and incapacity. Compare that to the other side, the belief that the average American is competent to navigate his own life; that parents are capable of raising their own children; that most Americans are fully able to pursue happiness with only an occasional helping hand. For example, the GI Bill was underpinned by the well-founded assumption that given a chance at a college education, the Greatest Generation would be able to take advantage of the opportunity…and it was!

4. For the Left, there is the Assumption of Incompetence….unable, incapable, incompetent. The nanny is caring, compassionate….but smothering. Basically, it’s motto is ‘We care so much about you, that we’ll take over from here and run your life for you.” Appearing to be compassion, the Assumption of Incompetence actually treats ‘clients’ with a mixture of pity and contempt. Ibid.

SpiderBabble-0015.png

You have been nothing but WRONG in your every prediction of the effects of policy.

Your a failure.

get it.

Seems this guy was wrong, too:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmRgaKfWMPA&feature=related]Obama said he should serve only one term - YouTube[/ame]

Even he didn't realize that there were as many folks, like you, who had no ability to judge competence.

You voted for an incompetent on economic policy, on foreign policy, and on veracity.

Here's hoping that you have an epiphany....and realize what a terrible mistake you have made.

Think you'll become an adult one day?

SpiderBabble-0015.png

I don’t know what you’re talking about, but I do know it’s deeply irrelevant.

On the other hand, it's good to see you work to ability.

Your a failure.

get it.

Seems this guy was wrong, too:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmRgaKfWMPA&feature=related]Obama said he should serve only one term - YouTube[/ame]

Even he didn't realize that there were as many folks, like you, who had no ability to judge competence.

You voted for an incompetent on economic policy, on foreign policy, and on veracity.

Here's hoping that you have an epiphany....and realize what a terrible mistake you have made.

Think you'll become an adult one day?

Cartoon-PieChart.jpg

SpiderBabble-0015.png

Your cut and paste is irrelevant to the point you are trying to make...

Just thought I would reply in kind

Your cut and paste is irrelevant to the point you are trying to make...

Just thought I would reply in kind

You know you will never have any influence on the style I choose in posting....

...and you also know, as well, that the point was clearly made.

And that's what you find annoying....isn't it.

And speaking of annoying....for me....

...it's finding the main participants in the thread are Betty and Moronica!
Yikes!

I was like, oh good, a whole thread of nothing but PC...

Then I realized..I've put the two here trolling on ignore.

It makes for less clutter. I see they have zero to add to the conversation except confusion.

SpiderBabble-0015.png

you don't know what you're talking about, why would you know what he's talking about?

Look, PC went to a lot of effort to put together that litany of drivel. To her, it made sense. Because she believes what she wants to believe. And, being a con tool, that is normal.

Forum List

Back