Extending Unemployment Benefits

I have been laid off at the exact some time as my then wife... the same exact time as my best friend and neighbor... and you do what you have to do... WHY??? Because it is a personal responsibility to take care of your needs and your family's needs... I lived on savings, I worked bartender jobs until I found something else.. hell I worked 2 jobs until I got another job back in my career field... my ex waitress-ed... my best friend's family and mine ate communal dinners with buying in bulk to save money between the families... I was prepared to sell the house if needed.. I was prepared to work 100 hours a week if I needed... but this is not the view of the greedy entitlement junkie, as evidenced by peeper

So you believe there should be no unemployment safety net? And do you think it would be as easy to get the jobs you mentioned in this economy, where former investment bankers here are working as baristas in Starbucks because there is nothing else? How many people are on unemployment now? What would happen to them if they were suddenly dumped off?

you should be making your own safety net.. it is not society's problem, it is not government's problem

I have friends who have lost jobs in the past 6 months.. 1 is working at Home Depot during the day to get health benefits and working as a bouncer at night.. the other is getting by on a temp job while he sells his house to move to another area where cost of living is cheaper and he can use the equity he has built up to pay for about 80% of the price of a house

What would they (ones dumped off unemployment) do.. if they were like you, they would whine and moan and blame it all on everyone else... many would buckle down and do what they had to to take care of themselves.. some would approach charities... some would turn to family... there are many things that many would do

I have been laid off at the exact some time as my then wife... the same exact time as my best friend and neighbor... and you do what you have to do... WHY??? Because it is a personal responsibility to take care of your needs and your family's needs... I lived on savings, I worked bartender jobs until I found something else.. hell I worked 2 jobs until I got another job back in my career field... my ex waitress-ed... my best friend's family and mine ate communal dinners with buying in bulk to save money between the families... I was prepared to sell the house if needed.. I was prepared to work 100 hours a week if I needed... but this is not the view of the greedy entitlement junkie, as evidenced by peeper

So you believe there should be no unemployment safety net? And do you think it would be as easy to get the jobs you mentioned in this economy, where former investment bankers here are working as baristas in Starbucks because there is nothing else? How many people are on unemployment now? What would happen to them if they were suddenly dumped off?

They would get jobs and deal with it.

Not really rocket science here.

Do you not realize that if this were one or two people I am referring to, I could see your "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" righty mentality. This country is dying. The wealthy are getting wealthier and everyone else is getting poorer and poorer. What do you think is going to happen?

There is valid reason why companies outsourced. It allowed growth, it prevented contraction...it boosted stock price...it increased productivity.....it opened the door to international reciprocity...it increased reach of good and services.

It increased profits for shareholders and salaries of CEO's. It created sweatshop conditions for the near-slaves in the factories working for $2 a day. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$I understand it perfectly. Fair trade, my ass.

Do you not realize that if this were one or two people I am referring to, I could see your "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" righty mentality. This country is dying. The wealthy are getting wealthier and everyone else is getting poorer and poorer. What do you think is going to happen?

The wealthier are not inherently getting wealthier and the poorer are not inherently getting poorer.. but nice try

And in a free society.. you have the freedom to succeed that goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail..

You are not owed shit by anyone except yourself,... you are responsible for you

telling you to grow the fuck up is indeed proper

The wealthier are not inherently getting wealthier and the poorer are not inherently getting poorer.. but nice try

Are you insane or just so blindly partisan that you are no longer paying attention?

No, idiot, I am speaking in reality.. many at the top are losing wealth.. many at the bottom have been working their way up... it is not the black and white picture against the evil 'rich' that you wish to portray as a winger

And whether they succeed or fail, get richer or poorer, is not your concern or government's concern.... as stated you have the freedom to succeed that goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail... it is YOUR business and responsibility to handle your own situation and the consequences of your actions, choices, etc.... whether that leads you to working your way into management, not advancing and getting laid off, choosing to buy a lottery ticket that wins, choosing to blow all your money on the craps table, choosing a good investment, choosing a bad investment, etc....

You may worry about the wealthy getting wealthier, but since it is not at my expense, I really dont care about them.
You may not know how to manage your life so they can not affect you, I do.
To the contrary, it is people like you that make my job more difficult. It is people like you that make those people wealthier and wealthier so that I have to be more creative to not let them affrect me....but that is life.

I have a suggestion....if you and everyone else stopped DEPENDING on those wealthy people, they would stop getting wealthier and wealthier.

Learn to be self sufficient, and you will find that they do not affcect you.

Stop trying to make an easy buck with an attractive re-finance deal, and you wont get hurt by a bad deal.

Stop trying to have your money make easy moeny for you in the stock market, and you will not lose money to their greed.

Stop using your credit cards so you can live abvove your means, and you wont have to worry about the fine print.

And as someone on here pointed out to me...It was MY choice to live in the NYC area so now I must suffer the consequences fo it having a higher cost of living....and that was a liberal that told mne that...and I realized he was right....

You dont get it. If you strated to understand the meaning of personal responsibility, you will start to undersatdn that what the rich do will have absolutely no affect on you.

they would get jobs and deal with it.

there are no jobs!!!

That is a navie statement.

Here in NY there are many jobs....just not at great salaries....but there are many.

Jeeze....look in retail stores....Help Wanted everywhere in the NYC area.

But why take it? I can make more with unemployment AND get food stamps AND be a candidate for section 8 housing......

There is valid reason why companies outsourced. It allowed growth, it prevented contraction...it boosted stock price...it increased productivity.....it opened the door to international reciprocity...it increased reach of good and services.

It increased profits for shareholders and salaries of CEO's. It created sweatshop conditions for the near-slaves in the factories working for $2 a day. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$I understand it perfectly. Fair trade, my ass.

You sir (madam) are a lost cause.

You will argue something you know nothing about and you use what you hear the left say day in and day out.....but if you notice....they only say it.....but for some reason, they never mention the things I have mentioned here.

You dont get it. If you strated to understand the meaning of personal responsibility, you will start to undersatdn that what the rich do will have absolutely no affect on you.

I also live in NYC, and you have not once heard me complaining about my lot in life. I do just fine. I do, however, have a problem with the immoral, selfish conservative attitude that says fuck you if you hit a rough patch - a rough patch that many may never recover from. Do you realize what would happen if all of the sudden all those unemployed people were dumped into the system with nothing? Do you think there are enough $5.25 jobs to keep them all from starving? What would that do to already low wages? You're not looking at the big picture. I am defending unemployment here, not myself or my own responsibility. I still have a job... for now.

You will argue something you know nothing about and you use what you hear the left say day in and day out.....but if you notice....they only say it.....but for some reason, they never mention the things I have mentioned here.

That's because it's corporatist spin. That's why you never hear it mentioned. Way to cheer on the war on the middle class. You are not worth the effort... And I don't read lefty anything. I open my eyes. I see what is going on every day. If you can't, I feel very sorry for you because if you have your way, this will only get worse. Mark my words.

I also live in NYC, and you have not once heard me complaining about my lot in life. I do just fine. I do, however, have a problem with the immoral, selfish conservative attitude that says fuck you if you hit a rough patch - a rough patch that many may never recover from. Do you realize what would happen if all of the sudden all those unemployed people were dumped into the system with nothing? Do you think there are enough $5.25 jobs to keep them all from starving? What would that do to already low wages? You're not looking at the big picture. I am defending unemployment here, not myself or my own responsibility. I still have a job... for now.

get it through your thick skull.. conservatives are not saying 'fuck you'.... conservatives will wish you the best of luck, donate to charities that may help your particular cause.. but what they do not believe is that you are simply owed it because you fucking exist and you certainly are not owed it at the expense of others thru government confiscation and redistribution

You opted to put those words in our mouths. We are not saying fuck you to the unfortunate whoi hit a rough patch.
We are speaking from our own experiences.
If I got help when I needed it (and believe me, I did)..I would not be where I am today.
It was my need to help myself that allowed me to help myself..AND I WAS ABLE TO DO IT ON MY TERMS....
Why do you think it is so difficult for people to get off of welfare?

There is validity behind the adage

"Give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime"

That's because it's corporatist spin. That's why you never hear it mentioned. Way to cheer on the war on the middle class. You are not worth the effort... And I don't read lefty anything. I open my eyes. I see what is going on every day. If you can't, I feel very sorry for you because if you have your way, this will only get worse. Mark my words.

OK....so it is corporate spin....

So please rip this apart....let me see you try....no spin...no nothing....

Give a man to fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

Give a man to fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.

Kinda hard when you guys want to take away his pole and then drain the lake to install a Wal-Mart parking lot.

You're easy.

"Give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime"

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.... teach a man to fish and he heats for a lifetime... beat a man half to death with a fish and he won't come asking you for any more, probably won't have a taste for it ever again, and will find another way to get something to eat rather than begging you for it

Kinda hard when you guys want to take away his pole and then drain the lake to install a Wal-Mart parking lot.

You're easy.

Where is society confiscating except from those 'evil rich' you keep talking about?? Did he own the pond or the lake? Are there no other ponds around? Can he not trade the pole for something else to use or need? Can he not work delivering pizzas to buy another pole?

Forum List

Back