Extending Unemployment Benefits

Chanel,

I am presuming you do not understand unemployment compensation because you have never had to collect it, (good for you!).

IF one on unemployment takes a part time job, unemployment still pays them, up to 25% more than the initial unemplyment amount.

So if these teachers, take a temp job as substitute teachers, and works two days a week, as example, and get paid $300 for the 2 days work, then Unemployment will give them a check for the difference between $750, ($600 payment for not working, times 25% more-is the $750) and $300, which is $450 dollars.

There is an incentive for those unemployed, to take what part time employment that they can....so tell your teacher friends that are unemployed to TAKE what temp jobs they can get, so to put a 'foot in the door'.

care
You beat me to it, Care. You posted this while I was typing my response. Only I think it is only 20% in NJ.

Yet another ignoramus who thinks "putting money in the hands of consumers" is what stimulates the ecomomy.

Moron, that is EXACTLY wha stimulates the economy. We are a service industry economy... we don't make anything anymore.

Also, there are 5-6 people applying for each job available these days. THERE AREN'T ENOUGH JOBS THAT PAY SURVIVAL WAGES FOR EVERYONE. If I had a choice of scraping by with $405 a week (and that would be a MAJOR struggle here in NYC) and taking a $5.25 an hour job, hell yes, I would take the unemployment and look for a better job. Maybe you corporate cheerleaders should have thought about the ramifications of outsourcing. But you idiots can't see beyond short term profits, can you?

2.4 million jobs lost due to China from 2001-2008 | The Economic Populist

SO, say you have your way and the people who can't find a job in 6 months are out in the streets (there will be lots of them, because remember, there aren't many living wage jobs available anymore), what then? Soup kitchens and charities are already overwhelmed - stretched to the limits, as are homeless shelters (which are taxpayer run, by the way so I guess you want to close those down too). 30,000 people showed up in Atlanta yesterday to try to get into public housing (they were expecting 10,000). WHAT do you suggest to do now that there are more people than jobs and all of the wealth is being hoovered up to the 5%? Few jobs, less money, stagnant/declining wages for those still lucky enough to work, less help to start a small business & no one is lending. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT US TO DO???

Last edited:
Several teachers in my district were laid off due to budget cuts. They are getting almost $600 a week. Many of them would like to start substitute teaching in the fall because they love teaching and could possibly get a foot in the door in other districts. But once they do that, they will have to forfeit their unemployment and if the subbing jobs dry up they are shit out of luck.

This is the lunacy of paying people NOT to work. I wouldn't even know how to advise them.

No, this is the lunacy of an all or nothing policy. Can't they claim partial UI for a partial week?

Yet another ignoramus who thinks "putting money in the hands of consumers" is what stimulates the ecomomy.

Moron, that is EXACTLY wha stimulates the economy. We are a service industry economy... we don't make anything anymore.

Also, there are 5-6 people applying for each job available these days. THERE AREN'T ENOUGH JOBS THAT PAY SURVIVAL WAGES FOR EVERYONE. If I had a choice of scraping by with $405 a week (and that would be a MAJOR struggle here in NYC) and taking a $5.25 an hour job, hell yes, I would take the unemployment and look for a better job. Maybe you corporate cheerleaders should have thought about the ramifications of outsourcing. But you idiots can't see beyond short term profits, can you?

2.4 million jobs lost due to China from 2001-2008 | The Economic Populist

SO, say you have your way and the people who can't find a job in 6 months are out in the streets (there will be lots of them, because remember, there aren't many living wage jobs available anymore), what then? Soup kitchens and charities are already overwhelmed - stretched to the limits, as are homeless shelters (which are taxpayer run, by the way so I guess you want to close those down too). 30,000 people showed up in Atlanta yesterday to try to get into public housing (they were expecting 10,000). WHAT do you suggest to do now that there are more people than jobs and all of the wealth is being hoovered up to the 5%? Few jobs, less money, stagnant/declining wages for those still lucky enough to work, less help to start a small business & no one is lending. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT US TO DO???

You are an ignoramus of galactic proportions.
We don't produce anything anymore? Really? Must be a surprise to the National Assoc of Manufacturers, which says we produce MORE THAN ANY OTHER COUNTRY.
Facts About Manufacturing - National Association of Manufacturers
Survival wages? What's that? Enough to pay your cable, cell phone, gas, and latte bill? Please. People in Thailand live on $25 a month. And they survive. You can live on anything and survive. You cannot live on gov't subsidies and survive as an independent person for very long at all.

Let me guess, lower the taxes further on the rich, since that worked SO WELL the past 10years. Morons.

I will say this...

In a recession, raising the taxes on those that MAY be able to create jobs is by no means the answer.

No one is saying to lower the taxes on the rich.

Many are saying dont INCREASE my taxes in a recession as I am barely scraping enough together to keep my payroll going

Survival wages? What's that? Enough to pay your cable, cell phone, gas, and latte bill? Please. People in Thailand live on $25 a month. And they survive. You can live on anything and survive. You cannot live on gov't subsidies and survive as an independent person for very long at all.

My rent is $1184 a month, which is cheap by NYC standards and I am on a lease until March. My power bill is $50-60 and I conserve electricity. My heat is included in rent. If I got rid of cable, which I would, it would save $70. I don't have a land-line and my cell phone bill is $90. I don't pay for internet. So lets break this down, shall we?

$405 a week = roughly $1620. Say they take out the 10% taxes so I don't end up owing anything in the end. That leaves me with $1458. Take out my rent and I am left with $274.00. Let's be conservative and say my power is only $50, so that leaves $224. Now take out the $22.30 for renter's insurance and that leaves $201.70. I probably spend $40 a week on groceries and necessities like toilet paper, laundry detergent and cat food, but let's say I live off of oatmeal and drop it down to $20 a week. That leaves me with $121.70. Now, I have to pay my credit cards, which, combined have a minimum payment of $75. This leaves me with $46.70 left over. Yeah, real luxurios... and I don't drink lattes.

Whoops. Forgot about my transit fee so I can look for a job ( I don't have a car). That's $89 a month... Oh, and my weekly laundry amount which is roughly $5 (two wash loads and one dry). Now, I'm in the red... Oops. Forgot my cell phone bill too. That's another $90 and I'm on the cheapest plan... what to do, what to do...

Last edited:
Thailand live on $25 a month. And they survive. You can live on anything and survive. You cannot live on gov't subsidies and survive as an independent person for very long at all.

And you can probably rent a place in Thailand for $10 a month. Psst. This ain't Thailand.

Chanel,

I am presuming you do not understand unemployment compensation because you have never had to collect it, (good for you!).

IF one on unemployment takes a part time job, unemployment still pays them, up to 25% more than the initial unemplyment amount.

So if these teachers, take a temp job as substitute teachers, and works two days a week, as example, and get paid $300 for the 2 days work, then Unemployment will give them a check for the difference between $750, ($600 payment for not working, times 25% more-is the $750) and $300, which is $450 dollars.

There is an incentive for those unemployed, to take what part time employment that they can....so tell your teacher friends that are unemployed to TAKE what temp jobs they can get, so to put a 'foot in the door'.

care
You beat me to it, Care. You posted this while I was typing my response. Only I think it is only 20% in NJ.

yes, it has been a while so i could be wrong on it being 25% and it was 20%....though states could vary....still an incentive to work the temp/substitute job.

Hey, pal,

HOW THE FUCK is PAYING folks to NOT WORK

an effective stimulus?!?

You know what an Effective Stimulus is?

You don't have money for FOOD, so you WORK ~ at WHATEVER job is offered.

Sure, it is that easy. :lol:

My friends dad is UE, and has been looking for a job for almost a year now after they moved the one he had for 25 years to Mexico. He is in 50's, which makes it even harder to find a job. Welcome to the real world.

Chanel,

care

yes, it has been a while so i could be wrong on it being 25% and it was 20%....though states could vary....still an incentive to work the temp/substitute job.

I dont believe those that were making 50K and up will ever look at uyneployment as an excuse not to work.

I do believe however, that one is being naive if they dont think that many who made 30K or less find it better to take the unemployment and find work off the books like hanging sheetrock or working for a landscaper.

Hey, pal,

HOW THE FUCK is PAYING folks to NOT WORK

an effective stimulus?!?

You know what an Effective Stimulus is?

You don't have money for FOOD, so you WORK ~ at WHATEVER job is offered.

this is a simple answer to understand, even for someone as obnoxious as yourself:

rather than doling money out to hardly any other source, replacing gaps in earnings caused by unemployment will buoy demand that would otherwise vanish.

despite what you've implied, there isn't a surplus of jobs with few people making themselves available to work them. instead, there is a surplus of people available and seeking employment and a dramatic shortage of jobs. up until quite recently the job market was still aggressively shrinking, rather than the expansion which would result in hiring more workers.

the issue is that if folks who cant pay rent due to unemployment don't pay rent or buy the basics at the grocery like they used to, the economy will continue to slide and the grocery and might lay more people off. the housing market, perhaps the hardest hit in the recession, will have more forces dragging homes into default and spreading this defacto lack of demand deeper into the home finance and construction industry by way of deflation.

are you still ignorant?

If that were so, we ought to fire everyone in America and put them on unemployment and watch the economy grow.
Unemployment idles productive resources (people), making them not only unproductive but increasingly so. As people do not work, their job skills deteriorate and they lose out on advances in knowledge.
Further, those benefits have to be paid for somehow. If the money is borrowed from the Chinese, then it leaves less of it to be borrowed for actual productive uses. Currently the bad policy of zero interest rates has been a boon only to banks and the government: Banks because they can borrow at zero and re-lend to the gov't at 2% risk free, and gov't because they can borrow money for ultra low rates to spend on social programs that get politiicans elected. It is a bad bargain for everyone else.

Eliminate unemployment after 6 months. If you can't find a job within that time you aren't trying. I know of people here unemployed from construction for 2 years who work side jobs under the table when they aren't drinking their unemployment checks.

“ Job fairs run by airline Emirates attract fewer applicants in the U.S. than in other countries. Truck-stop operator Pilot Flying J says job postings don't elicit many more applicants than they did when the unemployment rate was below 5%. . . .

With a 9.5% jobless rate and some 15 million Americans looking for work, many employers are inundated with applicants. But a surprising number say they are getting an underwhelming response, and many are having trouble filling open positions. . . .

"This is as bad now as at the height of business back in the 1990s," says Dan Cunningham, chief executive of the Long-Stanton Manufacturing Co., a maker of stamped-metal parts in West Chester, Ohio, that has been struggling to hire a few toolmakers. "It's bizarre. We are just not getting applicants." . . . ”

It may be that many of the unemployed lack the skills for the higher paying jobs they’d like to have, and the jobs they do have the skills for don’t pay enough or aren’t attractive enough for them to take those. Also lots of the service jobs they may have held prior are fewer in number and already filled.

“ Matching people with available jobs is always difficult after a recession as the economy remakes itself. But Labor Department data suggest the disconnect is particularly acute this time around. Since the economy bottomed out in mid-2009, the number of job openings has risen more than twice as fast as actual hires, a gap that didn't appear until much later in the last recovery. The disparity is most notable in manufacturing, which has had among the biggest increases in openings. But it is also appearing in other areas, such as business services, education and health care. . . . ”

This chart shows part of the reason in the third from bottom stat
P1-AW649A_HIRE__NS_20100808183616.gif

WSJ Article HERE

I dont believe those that were making 50K and up will ever look at uyneployment as an excuse not to work.

I do believe however, that one is being naive if they dont think that many who made 30K or less find it better to take the unemployment and find work off the books like hanging sheetrock or working for a landscaper.

i can see that happening with a FEW, those that are younger males, in good physical shape... working under the table, and IF the employer is willing to BREAK the law and pay them off the books....but this would be very few....construction is one of the most hurt sectors with the housing crash so jobs are fewer than they once were....and less people working means less need for landscapers as well....

i can see that happening with a FEW, those that are younger males, in good physical shape... working under the table, and IF the employer is willing to BREAK the law and pay them off the books....but this would be very few....construction is one of the most hurt sectors with the housing crash so jobs are fewer than they once were....and less people working means less need for landscapers as well....

I respect your opinion, but I must argue part of it.
Here in NY (Long Island) there is a disturbingly high number of people that employ people off the books. I can name no less than 5 people I know personally that have bookkeepers that come in once a month for a few days...off the books. It saves them (the employer) tax matching; it allows the empolyee to claim unemployment; and it allows them to close their months efficiently.
I dont agree with the practice, but it is quite common.
Furthermore, my son works for a local deli where he doies not havfe a tax burden as he is a full time student, but he, and every worker in that deli gets half the pay on the books and half the pay off the books.
Last summer he worked for a competitive deli...where his entire pay was off the books.

During good times, it is not as uncommon as you may think, During these harder times? I must believe it is more common.

The reason so many employers do it? The very felxible "petty cash" expense tax right off. They still get to right that cash off...as they would a salary on the books...but they dont need to match the taxes.....

The tax system is broken...it needs to be fixed...and this would not be such a big issue.

Here in NY (Long Island) there is a disturbingly high number of people that employ people off the books. I can name no less than 5 people I know personally that have bookkeepers that come in once a month for a few days...off the books. It saves them (the employer) tax matching; it allows the empolyee to claim unemployment; and it allows them to close their months efficiently.
Furthermore, my son works for a local deli where he doies not havfe a tax burden as he is a full time student, but he, and every worker in that deli gets half the pay on the books and half the pay off the books.
Last summer he worked for a competitive deli...where his entire pay was off the books.

During good times, it is not as uncommon as you may think, During these harder times? I must believe it is more common.

The reason so many employers do it? The very felxible "petty cash" expense tax right off. They still get to right that cash off...as they would a salary on the books...but they dont need to match the taxes.....

The tax system is broken...it needs to be fixed...and this would not be such a big issue.

Okay, I can see that more could be doing it than I had thought, though I still do not think it is a majority or even a sizable amount....but of course, this is based off of my experience with the people I have known, that have collected unemployment....I haven't known too many people that were making $30k and under, or people in the construction business, etc. over the years....so it could be the crowd I have been associated/in contact with... over the decades....

care

Okay, I can see that more could be doing it than I had thought, though I still do not think it is a majority or even a sizable amount....but of course, this is based off of my experience with the people I have known, that have collected unemployment....I haven't known too many people that were making $30k and under, or people in the construction business, etc. over the years....so it could be the crowd I have been associated/in contact with... over the decades....

care

You do hang around a mighty tough crowd, ya know.

care

I am in the business development, business management and human resources consulting industry. I cater primarily to the small to mid size businesses.
Here in the NYC area it is more prevelant than you could ever imagine.
ANd I bleieve it can be easily rectified with adjuments in the tax codes.
But neither party will EVER want to propose that. It will kill the lower income employees and the small business owners.

It's either extend unemployment or the democrats don't get re elected. What do you think they are going to do?

People need move out of their comfort zones. We shouldnt have more than 1 year benefits, well we shouldnt have any at all, but obviously thats not going to happen overnight.

People need move out of their comfort zones. We shouldnt have more than 1 year benefits, well we shouldnt have any at all, but obviously thats not going to happen overnight.

Why? What would you do if you suddenly lost your job? What if you AND your husband/wife lost their job. You really think a job loss - especially one due to the greed of corporations and outsourcing should literally ruin a person? How is that remotely right? How on earth will hat help the economy?

Forum List

Back