Extending Unemployment Benefits

Discussion in 'Politics' started by antagon, Aug 12, 2010.

1. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Now that the issue of extending unemployment benefits is one which the Republicans have finally decided to definitively oppose, some of USMB's party-aligned pundits have solidly followed suit with criticism of the policy. I have always thought that this is the single most effective method of stimulus which we have employed in a recovery characterized by job losses and deflation. Am I missing something?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. fyrenza

fyrenza Ariel Looney Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +378
    Hey, pal,

HOW THE FUCK is PAYING folks to NOT WORK

an effective stimulus?!?

You know what an Effective Stimulus is?

You don't have money for FOOD, so you WORK ~ at WHATEVER job is offered.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  3. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,122
    The most recent extension will keep benefits going until November 27. And then what? Another extension? Are they going to continue with the extensions indefinitely? Yes, there will still be folks who have been out of work for over a year. And? Where does it end? At what point is enough, enough?

[​IMG]

4. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    this is a simple answer to understand, even for someone as obnoxious as yourself:

rather than doling money out to hardly any other source, replacing gaps in earnings caused by unemployment will buoy demand that would otherwise vanish.

despite what you've implied, there isn't a surplus of jobs with few people making themselves available to work them. instead, there is a surplus of people available and seeking employment and a dramatic shortage of jobs. up until quite recently the job market was still aggressively shrinking, rather than the expansion which would result in hiring more workers.

the issue is that if folks who cant pay rent due to unemployment don't pay rent or buy the basics at the grocery like they used to, the economy will continue to slide and the grocery and might lay more people off. the housing market, perhaps the hardest hit in the recession, will have more forces dragging homes into default and spreading this defacto lack of demand deeper into the home finance and construction industry by way of deflation.

are you still ignorant?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  5. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Several teachers in my district were laid off due to budget cuts. They are getting almost $600 a week. Many of them would like to start substitute teaching in the fall because they love teaching and could possibly get a foot in the door in other districts. But once they do that, they will have to forfeit their unemployment and if the subbing jobs dry up they are shit out of luck.

This is the lunacy of paying people NOT to work. I wouldn't even know how to advise them.

6. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    i dont know too much about unemployment, however, it is my understanding that if they begin to teach as substitutes and work dries up that they could get another job or claim unemployment insurance.

i dont think your buddies face any real conundrum. if they're too dense to understand that $600/week from a temporary benefit is not something they can rely on, i don't think they should be teaching anyone anyhow.

i think there is more lunacy in letting the economic downturn and the public and private sector budget cuts that go with it toss a sizable portion of the population on the street and out of range of employment and the economy altogether.

7. Jarhead

Jarhead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    There are other entitlement progrmas that are out there to ensure the demand for the essentials suchas groceries does not dry up...such as foodsatmps.
    Those that receive unemployment benefits do not add to the "demand" for goods and services. They do not spend money on extras that are not covered by other programs...so increwasing unemployment benefits does nothing for the economy.

To the contrary, it does two things to the job market.

First, it increases the burden on the two last employers of record. Many are not aware of this as the media refuses to explain it, but the last two employers of record pay a generous amount into each unemployment check an individual receives. Originally, employers forecasted the unemployment burden for each employee laid off as a 6 month burden. Now that the empoloyers are seeing these extensions, they do not know how or what to forecast for next year; and are unable to determine next years operating costs...so they are unable to expand and hire.

Secondly, it prevents people from taking jobs at a lower salary. Here in NY, unemployment is maxed out at $405 a week....anyone who was making 30K or more, gets $405 a week....so someone making 30K will turn dowwn a 20K job as they get more with unemployment....and as a result, I see many "help wanted" signs in stores but few takers....afterall, why work for 10 an hour when you can get $405 doing nothing...and make cash working for your brother in law putting up sheetrock?

You need to open your mind to see the issue, I agree....but it is not rhetoric...it is human nature to do what is most cost effective for your wallet...and it is foolish to rely on the people in general to "do the right thing".....especially when those people know there are plenty that are gaming the system.

8. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,415
    Yes, yes you are Nancy. $300 unemployment checks don't stimulate the economy.

9. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Republicans wanted to use the unused portion of the stimulus money. I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately that pork has already been promised to their Democratic supporters.

10. fyrenza

fyrenza Ariel Looney Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +378
    You're an asshat.

Unemployment "wages" go for survival:

Food;

Rent or Mortgage;

Utility bills.

It puts NOTHING in anyone's hands.

It fucking pays bills.