Extending the school day and ending Summer vacation

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
Extending the school day, bad idea.

Modifying Summer vacation, good idea - students can take a two or three week break at the end of May, early June, return to school around the middle of June to the middle of August, then another two or three week break, and return to school after Labor Day.

Ending Summer Vacation is Long Overdue Here s How to Pay for a Longer School Year Brookings Institution

Would you be in favor of extending the school day and ending Summer vacation?

I oppose this. I'd hate to take away awesome experiences away in the name of increasing test scores.

There are awesome after school activities. For example.

Cadets

Competitive cheerleading

Who would want to rob our youth of these amazing opportunities?

Extending the school day - no.

Summer vacation - I'd be OK with ending it as long as the kids got the same amount of vacation annually. It might actually be more fun to have a shorter summer vacation but a longer winter vacation. I would have like that more myself. Winter vacation was 2 weeks, summer was I guess 11 weeks, a 7 week summer and 6 week winter would have been great.

I live in Louisiana though where the winters are quite nice. Perfect camping weather.

China is all about stuffing kids heads all day every day with information. Useless information. No skills involved other than being a robot. Richer kids will spend their summer doing extra classes, then be studying for tests that happen on the 1st September, the first day most schools are legally allowed to be open (unless they happen to have the children of high ranking CCP members in them).

What is needed is education that has aims designed to make students good adults. Ie, having the skills to be a decent human being, the skills to get a job and keep a job, the skills to be able to look after themselves and so on. Right now it's just academic stuff with no aims.

China is all about stuffing kids heads all day every day with information. Useless information. No skills involved other than being a robot. Richer kids will spend their summer doing extra classes, then be studying for tests that happen on the 1st September, the first day most schools are legally allowed to be open (unless they happen to have the children of high ranking CCP members in them).

What is needed is education that has aims designed to make students good adults. Ie, having the skills to be a decent human being, the skills to get a job and keep a job, the skills to be able to look after themselves and so on. Right now it's just academic stuff with no aims.

The best way to learn to get a job and keep a job is to get a job and keep a job. For most people this means losing at least one job.

The best way to learn to look after yourself is to look after yourself. For most people this means failing to look after yourself at least once.

The best way to learn the Pythagorean Theorem is in school or teaching yourself with a book.

Any questions?

Being a teacher in this country is shit. Half the country (conservatives) hate you and think you're a bum. AND you don't get paid shit. Take away summer vacation and extend the work day, and you lose a ton of teachers.
More nonsense from the left..we hate teacher unions, not teachers.... Comprehend?

Teach them English in English class, math in math etc. My daughters language arts class...they didn't read, they learned nonsense about the brain. Total waste of resources.

Being a teacher in this country is shit. Half the country (conservatives) hate you and think you're a bum. AND you don't get paid shit. Take away summer vacation and extend the work day, and you lose a ton of teachers.
More nonsense from the left..we hate teacher unions, not teachers.... Comprehend?

Teachers unions are teachers. Derp.

Teach them English in English class, math in math etc. My daughters language arts class...they didn't read, they learned nonsense about the brain. Total waste of resources.

Yeah I can't imagine how a study of language would have anything to do with the brain. Fuck's sakes I hope the apple falls miles from the tree.

The best way to learn to get a job and keep a job is to get a job and keep a job. For most people this means losing at least one job.

The best way to learn to look after yourself is to look after yourself. For most people this means failing to look after yourself at least once.

The best way to learn the Pythagorean Theorem is in school or teaching yourself with a book.

Any questions?

Yeah, why does America seem to want to implode through such idiocy?

The best way to learn isn't to teach yourself in many cases. The best way to learn is to have a good teacher who teaches you to your strengths.

Tell that to the teachers who left the union in Wisconsin.
Derp

Yeah I can't imagine how a study of language would have anything to do with the brain. Fuck's sakes I hope the apple falls miles from the tree.
Obviously you were also poorly educated, dipshit. How is brain function "language ARTS"? btw, the problem is with idiot teachers and idiot unions and the whole worthless pile of shit American Pub Ed all the way through university. Eighty percent of the bastards should be locked up.

Ending Summer Vacation is Long Overdue Here s How to Pay for a Longer School Year Brookings Institution

I oppose this. I'd hate to take away awesome experiences away in the name of increasing test scores.

Cadets

Competitive cheerleading

Gottsta prepare those younUns for life ahead, twelve hours days, prb six days a week competing against third & fourth world workers working for daily bread............. Gawd bless Amerika...........

No. Teachers unions are collection centers for Democrat campaign contributions.

No. Teachers unions are collection centers for Democrat campaign contributions.
Yeah we should get rid of them. None of the top rated education systems in the world have teachers unions so why should we?!

Oh wait THEY ALL DO!

Cadets

Competitive cheerleading

No!

And you will not find teachers backing an increase in teaching days without an increase in pay.

The faction of people out there that despise teachers because they are overpaid and underworked and do a terrible job should step up and accept a huge drastic pay cut and step up and fix the problem. If the unions supported conservatives then these same hyprocritical simple minded low IQ folks wouldnt say a word. What they want is someone to do the job for twenty thousand dollars a year with no benefits. And those same crybabies would still complain that they are doing a bad job. Do we have problems yes. Do we want the best and brightest teaching? Yes. But to get those top notch math and science people you are going to have to be willing to step up as a taxpayer and quadruple their pay to match what they could make in the private sector. If you arent willing to pay a top level scientist 200 grand to teach, then you got nothing to say. What you want is someone to do the job without paying them. Low wages is a win for the taxpayers. Low IQ workers is a win for the corporations as the management can sit back and do squat while the poor heavy lifters create the wealth for minimum wage.

Forum List

Back