Extended education

would you be in favor of extended education?

• Yes I would be in favor of grades 13-16

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No I would not be in favor of grades 13-16

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Don't know or care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

spectrumc01

I give you....the TRUTH
Feb 9, 2011
The United States
I think we are going about education reform all wrong, but it never gets done the way we personally like. There is a particular part that I think we should look at. There are some things we can all agree on, the first is that a college education is a requirement. Why not extend mandatory schooling, i.e. grades 13-16. Kids can already stay on the parents insurance until they are 24/25? They already live in the basement and mooch off the parent anyway. Let college go back to being the place where you specialize in your field. In these extended grades is where they do paid internships, take all the college basics (math, computers, language, etc.). They live at home or on their own, attend the same school, and learn to become young adults. The money saved on wasted unfocused education would be over.
College has gone from a four year degree to a six year degree, because they say our kids aren't prepared. These extra grades would fix that. Not everyone needs a college education, but we definately need more that a high school education. I believe this would fix the problem or go along way to helping.

I think your paradigm is a bit skewed. The majority of Americans do not complete a 4 year degree yet they do just fine. Certain jobs require training, but not a formal education.

Also, a huge problem we face is that young people are never expected to grow up. I'm applying to medical school and, according to the administrators conducting my interviews, one of their biggest concerns is admitting students who party too much and binge drink. These are 22 year old, intelligent people who in 4-8 years will be trusted with someone else's, yet they still haven't figured out that getting wasted at parties puts their lives at risk. If public or mandatory education was extended, kids would just postpone taking any responsibility for their lives.

A society will have a hard time functioning where all citizens have college degrees.

Plumbers are expensive enough. Who could afford trash pickup if all on the truck were not only charging for the service, but also adding fees to compensate for their doctorates in Trashology?

high schools should have vocational and academic tracks. we need more, and better trained tradesmen.

A society will have a hard time functioning where all citizens have college degrees.

Plumbers are expensive enough. Who could afford trash pickup if all on the truck were not only charging for the service, but also adding fees to compensate for their doctorates in Trashology?

Exactly right, so if we just extend highschool for a few more years to give our kids more of an education before the expense of college. We should be able to cut out the first year or two that is wasted at a four year college while our kids try to figure out what they want to do, and get the basic college courses out of the way, math, english, computers, etc.

high schools should have vocational and academic tracks. we need more, and better trained tradesmen.

In these grades 13-16 is where vocational training is done. Yet, it would be more than just the basics of a trade being learned, it would also provide internship in the trade being learned. This gives both the employer and the employee a leg up.

Speak for yourself, dopey.

I always speak for myself. Better than fifty percent of college students finish their degree around the five year mark.

And that means a college degree IS a six year degree? Uh-huh...

"Around the five year mark" means 5 years give or take a year. Give or take a year means that college takes between 4-6 years. Wow didn't think I would have to explain basic math.

In these grades 13-16 is where vocational training is done. Yet, it would be more than just the basics of a trade being learned, it would also provide internship in the trade being learned. This gives both the employer and the employee a leg up.

Ontario used to have grade 13. they phased it out because of the expense, and also the growing availability of AP and IB courses that get kids prepared for post secondary education. an actual academic track leading to university makes more sense. more vocational training in varied fields makes sense to those who know the academic track is not really meant for them.

I always speak for myself. Better than fifty percent of college students finish their degree around the five year mark.

And that means a college degree IS a six year degree? Uh-huh...

"Around the five year mark" means 5 years give or take a year. Give or take a year means that college takes between 4-6 years. Wow didn't think I would have to explain basic math.

That is NOT "basic math," that is you trying to spin your way out of something stupid you said.

College has gone from a four year degree to a six year degree.

Indeed.

Then they go home with their degrees in Italian Renaisance Poetry and Antebellum Interior Decorating and live in their parent's basement until they save enough money working at Starbucks to move in with a dozen other over-educated individuals who are qualified to do nothing.

The proposal that offering grades 13-16 may possibly be a wise possibility is so absurd I'm not sure how to respond: How about offering grades 13-60? then we can be sure everyone is educated, although not terribly employable?

high schools should have vocational and academic tracks.

Students can attend a vocational high school if the choose to do so. Next?

Well, they can APPLY to attend vocational classes.

The fact is that there are not very many of them, and waiting lists are long, and the quality is often worthless for employment purposes.

The best alternative is to complete high school with a good academic record, then join the US Navy and become a Machinist's Mate, or the Air Force and become an elecrician, or the Army, and learn to run a back-hoe.

Indeed.

Then they go home with their degrees in Italian Renaisance Poetry and Antebellum Interior Decorating and live in their parent's basement until they save enough money working at Starbucks to move in with a dozen other over-educated individuals who are qualified to do nothing.

The proposal that offering grades 13-16 may possibly be a wise possibility is so absurd I'm not sure how to respond: How about offering grades 13-60? then we can be sure everyone is educated, although not terribly employable?

Unless those grades are geared specifically to make you employable. i.e. internships.

Forum List

Back