EXPOSED: Komen VP Targeted Planned Parenthood

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
r-KAREN-HANDEL-KOMEN-large570.jpg

By Laura Bassett

WASHINGTON -- Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the nation's leading anti-breast-cancer charity, has insisted that its since-reversed decision to pull funding from Planned Parenthood arose from a routine change in criteria for grant eligibility that had nothing to do with abortion politics.

But a Komen insider told HuffPost on Sunday that Karen Handel, Komen's staunchly anti-abortion vice president for public policy, was the main force behind the decision to defund Planned Parenthood and the attempt to make that decision look nonpolitical.

"Karen Handel was the prime instigator of this effort, and she herself personally came up with investigation criteria," the source, who requested anonymity for professional reasons, told HuffPost. "She said, 'If we just say it's about investigations, we can defund Planned Parenthood and no one can blame us for being political.'"

Emails between Komen leadership on the day the Planned Parenthood decision was announced, which were reviewed by HuffPost under the condition they not be published, confirm the source's description of Handel's sole "authority" in crafting and implementing the Planned Parenthood policy.

Handel's strategy to cut off Planned Parenthood involved drafting new guidelines that would prevent Komen from funding any organization that was under investigation by local, state or federal authorities. Since Planned Parenthood is currently the target of a congressional inquiry prompted by House Republicans into the way it uses government funds, the family planning provider would have been immediately disqualified from receiving new Komen grants.

After the initial uproar when news of the decision broke, the story that Komen told the public was that the cut-off was unrelated to a political agenda against Planned Parenthood.

Karen Handel, Susan G. Komen's Anti-Abortion VP, Drove Decision To Defund Planned Parenthood

Komen Cuts Planned Parenthood Grants Months After Arrival Of New VP, Who Is Abortion Foe

Karen C. Handel (born April 18, 1962) is an American politician. She has also been a business policy executive and an aide to politicians. She served as Secretary of State of Georgia from 2007 until January 2010, when she resigned to run, unsuccessfully, for the Republican Party nomination for Governor of Georgia.[1] Handel was appointed senior vice president of public policy at Susan G. Komen for the Cure, a leading charity in the cause of fighting breast cancer.[2]

Karen Handel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We see the board troll is all outraged again.

you liberals are jokes..."Freedoms of choice" you spout is only good when it applies to you or something you like

Komen can donate to anyone they want without your permission.

you're so concerned about PP, DONATE all your saving to them then shut the hell up about Komen

scratch a liberal find a fascist.

Last edited:
r-KAREN-HANDEL-KOMEN-large570.jpg

By Laura Bassett

WASHINGTON -- Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the nation's leading anti-breast-cancer charity, has insisted that its since-reversed decision to pull funding from Planned Parenthood arose from a routine change in criteria for grant eligibility that had nothing to do with abortion politics.

But a Komen insider told HuffPost on Sunday that Karen Handel, Komen's staunchly anti-abortion vice president for public policy, was the main force behind the decision to defund Planned Parenthood and the attempt to make that decision look nonpolitical.

"Karen Handel was the prime instigator of this effort, and she herself personally came up with investigation criteria," the source, who requested anonymity for professional reasons, told HuffPost. "She said, 'If we just say it's about investigations, we can defund Planned Parenthood and no one can blame us for being political.'"

Emails between Komen leadership on the day the Planned Parenthood decision was announced, which were reviewed by HuffPost under the condition they not be published, confirm the source's description of Handel's sole "authority" in crafting and implementing the Planned Parenthood policy.

Handel's strategy to cut off Planned Parenthood involved drafting new guidelines that would prevent Komen from funding any organization that was under investigation by local, state or federal authorities. Since Planned Parenthood is currently the target of a congressional inquiry prompted by House Republicans into the way it uses government funds, the family planning provider would have been immediately disqualified from receiving new Komen grants.

After the initial uproar when news of the decision broke, the story that Komen told the public was that the cut-off was unrelated to a political agenda against Planned Parenthood.

Karen Handel, Susan G. Komen's Anti-Abortion VP, Drove Decision To Defund Planned Parenthood

Komen Cuts Planned Parenthood Grants Months After Arrival Of New VP, Who Is Abortion Foe

wow... another anonymous source. That means it MUST be true.... right?

wow... another anonymous source. That means it MUST be true.... right?

It certainly doesn't automatically mean it isn't true either. If the person's identity was found out, they'd likely lose their job.

and that's ok with you?
Lose their job over WHAT?

No, it's not okay with me. Someone shouldn't lose their job for telling the truth about their organization, but that is reality. It's not good PR for it to be known that Komen colluded to stop funding PP (especially in light of the recent backlash) and I'm sure if the source was found, it would not go well with them in the organization.

It certainly doesn't automatically mean it isn't true either. If the person's identity was found out, they'd likely lose their job.

and that's ok with you?

No, it's not okay with me. Someone shouldn't lose their job for telling the truth about their organization, but that is reality. It's not good PR for it to be known that Komen colluded to stop funding PP (especially in light of the recent backlash) and I'm sure if the source was found, it would not go well with them in the organization.

if they felt so strongly that their organization did something wrong that they went public with it, they should have had the balls to be public themselves. I don't know if it's true or not. But if my company made a decision like that and I was so strongly in opposition that I went public, I seriously doubt I would still want to work for said company, and so I'd make myself public as well.

One has to almost feel sorry for Komen. They didn't want to get caught up in PP's problems. PP is political. Komen isn't. But they got caught up in the political BS anyway.

It's a pity, Komen does a lot of good work. PP, not so much.

and that's ok with you?

if they felt so strongly that their organization did something wrong that they went public with it, they should have had the balls to be public themselves. I don't know if it's true or not. But if my company made a decision like that and I was so strongly in opposition that I went public, I seriously doubt I would still want to work for said company, and so I'd make myself public as well.

That's wonderful that you have the means to just leave a job anytime you feel like it. Most people don't.

That's wonderful that you have the means to just leave a job anytime you feel like it. Most people don't.

not a matter of means. If I am so diametrically opposed to a corporate decision that I am willing to make it public, I would also no longer be willing to work for said company. I have the courage of my convictions, hardships not withstanding.

Komen will not receive any more donations from me as well as most of my friends.

yeah... fuck those women with cancer, right?

Actually, as charitable organizations go, Komen isn't one of the better as far as dollars to research is concerned. There are many organizations that do the same thing with less administrative overhead.

Forum List

Back