Exploiting the Student Athlete!

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
Expose the NCAA, not the athletes - CFB News - FOX Sports on MSN

Byers wrote: “Today the NCAA Presidents Commission is preoccupied with tightening a few loose bolts in a worn machine, firmly committed to the neo-plantation belief that the enormous proceeds from college games belong to the overseers (administrators) and supervisors (coaches). The plantation workers performing in the arena may only receive those benefits authorized by the overseers.”

Byers was not and is not a Jesse Jackson sympathizer. Byers is a white, right-wing conservative from Kansas. He was the NCAA’s first president (1951-1988) and sole visionary. He admitted creating a monster. His NCAA memoir was his repentance and call for a fundamental overhaul of a corrupt organization.

Reggie Bush is Kunta Kinte, a runaway slave.

The media are slave-catchers, mindless mercenaries crucifying child athletes for following the financial lead of their overseer coaches such as Pete Carroll, Lane Kiffin and Nick Saban.

College Football players are not slaves. They choose to play football and comparison to slavery is overkill

They are, however, exploited by the system

The NCAA powers ensure they have control of billions in revenue while players are not even allowed to accept a free pair of shoes

If College athletics are really amateur, let them stop charging $60 a ticket to see a game

College Football players are not slaves. They choose to play football and comparison to slavery is overkill

The NCAA powers ensure they have control of billions in revenue while players are not even allowed to accept a free pair of shoes

If College athletics are really amateur, let them stop charging $60 a ticket to see a game

I don't see how the NCAA gets away with their rules when it comes to football and basketball. They're the de facto minor league for those sports and as such have the players over a barrel. They have to sign on to their rules no matter how restrictive, because they have no choice, if FB or BB are to be their career. Can you imagine if a business student was told they couldn't work in a business for money during the summer or interview for a job until they graduate? Some say, "they're getting a free education", but similar restrictions aren't put on other students that attend on scholarships or grants.

I don't see how the NCAA gets away with their rules when it comes to football and basketball. They're the de facto minor league for those sports and as such have the players over a barrel. They have to sign on to their rules no matter how restrictive, because they have no choice, if FB or BB are to be their career. Can you imagine if a business student was told they couldn't work in a business for money during the summer or interview for a job until they graduate? Some say, "they're getting a free education", but similar restrictions aren't put on other students that attend on scholarships or grants.

The restrictions wouldnt make sense for someone on an academic or need scholarship. I do not see bookies going to the biology major offering them 100k to "blow" a science experiment. The gambling angle is what causes the rules for student athletes to be so harsh. This causes a spillover into the recruiting angle for the colleges.

College Atheletes get two things out of the NCAA, an education (if they follow through) and the attention of the professional leagues. The money also supports alot of the other less flashy sports in the college system.

What other system would work? All you would be creating was a second tier professional league.

A second teir pro league might be a better option. Baseball doesn't have this weird system, and it seems the baseball players are better educated and more articulate.

From what I have seen of the pro players, they aren't getting the education they are supposed to.

The restrictions wouldnt make sense for someone on an academic or need scholarship. I do not see bookies going to the biology major offering them 100k to "blow" a science experiment. The gambling angle is what causes the rules for student athletes to be so harsh. This causes a spillover into the recruiting angle for the colleges.

College Atheletes get two things out of the NCAA, an education (if they follow through) and the attention of the professional leagues. The money also supports alot of the other less flashy sports in the college system.

What other system would work? All you would be creating was a second tier professional league.

I don't want to see college players paid. But I would like to see restrictions relaxed on what makes them amateurs. Why can't a college player be paid for an endorsement? His coach sure is

I think if they call sell a jersey with their name on it, I think they should recieve some of the profit.
When Adam Morrison was playing for the Zags, they put his name on all kinds of stuff, and he of course never saw any of the profits. And I am postive he made the program quite a bit of money.

I don't want to see college players paid. But I would like to see restrictions relaxed on what makes them amateurs. Why can't a college player be paid for an endorsement? His coach sure is

Mostly because the NCAA takes the easy way out. By banning all money they make it simpler to find the people who are taking the "bad" money.

There would also be the issue of imbalance on the teams. The Money would probably only go to the top 3-5 guys (1-2 on a basketball team.) So you would have some making none and a few making a tons.

Actually in basketball this is a smaller problem as most of the endorsement worthy guys go right to the NBA. Football seems to be the biggest concern.

A second teir pro league might be a better option. Baseball doesn't have this weird system, and it seems the baseball players are better educated and more articulate.

From what I have seen of the pro players, they aren't getting the education they are supposed to.

They're not there for a standard education. They're there to learn football. I can see the betting angle, but what does that have to do with forbidding someone from giving a player money so he can get home and see the family ocassionally? That kind of petty stuff doesn't make any sense.

IMO, it already is with the players having no power at all.

They get a degree and a chance to display their skills to future employers that may be willing to pay them millions. If they don't like it they can quit school and try out for any team they want. No sympathy here.

They get a degree and a chance to display their skills to future employers that may be willing to pay them millions. If they don't like it they can quit school and try out for any team they want. No sympathy here.

If they don't like it?!?! What other choice do they have? Hockey and baseball provide another choice. You know no high school player is going directly to the NFL. If the system wasn't so messed up, we wouldn't have all this gnashing of teeth about graduation rates. What do you expect, when half the players don't legitimately belong in college in the first place?

Sneakers: Factory Dough

I wanted to re-hash this thread to talk more about the other angle of this issue: marketing.

When young black men see pro-sports greats like Lebron James shining in the national spotlight without ever having to attend college, they think about recruiting more than coaching.

Let's focus more on sports marketing. We know of the Wheaties cereal boxes made famous by Michael Jordan.

The modern age is marked by high pedestrian traffic and populism-gauged capitalism (i.e., business ads on Facebook). Mobility is a key concept in networking and technology and gear are oriented towards access conveniences (i.e., eTrade).

In this climate, people literally want to look like they are agile and mobile. It's no wonder that many student athletes are so self-conscious about what basketball shoes they purchase and what endorsements they will get from companies such as Nike in their professional career.

Sports shoes and athletic shoes and wear-and-tear shoe companies such as New Balance, Reebok, and Nike have immensely capitalized on this modern trend, and the various TV ads flashing high-profile athletes flaunting the latest Air Jordan sneakers have affected how student athletes plan their future.

Maybe the notion that the lucid free market can 'colloquialize' the distribution of wear-and-tear New Balance or Asics sneakers will reveal an economics-savvy way to 'coax' the student athlete to be more 'world wise' rather than 'contract wise.' After all, if your mom and dad are wearing Asics sneakers too, then you won't care as much if you get a lucrative Asics endorsement in professional sports; you'll simply think more shrewdly, clearly, and sharply about simply why your pair of sneakers makes you a Brainiac.

:afro:

New Balance (Shoes)

nb.jpg

flash.jpg

Forum List

Back