Exploding star may be visible from earth warns astronomers

MindWars

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2016
Express – One of the brightest stars in the night’s sky could be gearing up to explode, astronomers have warned, and the resulting explosion could be visible from Earth. The star known as Betelgeuse has been dimming over the past month, which would suggest that it is likely to supernova. Stars supernova when they are at the end of their lives had run out of fuel after millions of years. When they do, they implode, collapsing in on themselves before a huge explosion occurs. Over the past two weeks, Betelgeuse has gone from one of the top 10 brightest stars visible to the naked eye to the 21st – of roughly 5,000 which can be seen.

Exploding star may be visible from Earth warns astronomers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe it can knock some sense ............. into the brain dead left bahahha.

A source I read said Betelgeuse WILL go supernova in our lifetime. It could be very bright. I wonder how/if its radiation will affect earth. It's 640 light years from us

• Banned
A source I read said Betelgeuse WILL go supernova in our lifetime. It could be very bright. I wonder how/if its radiation will affect earth. It's 640 light years from us

Yeah that's a good point. What's sad is we can't trust anything the pos science world tells us anymore since they are so deeply rooted within yeah you guess it the g.d. " governments" what else is new.

While its supernova will appear brighter than the full moon, the radiation won't pose any danger.

It might flash enough to burn the solar panels on Algore and Bonerz yatchets
Beetlejuice.jpg

You won't see it in real time.

Betelgeuse is about 650 light years from Earth, so any supernova action we see in the sky say - next week for example - the explosion will have happened in the year 1370, approximately.

Just more journalistic drizzle to spike readership. The chance of Betelgeuse exploding in our lives is very small, but it is much more likely to explode in the next 10,000 years. When it goes, it'll be visible in daylight for a couple weeks, brighter than the full moon, but we're in no danger from it, it'll take hundreds of years before any residual pressure wave from it reaches us and many more thousands of years after that before any expanding material from it finally reaches us.

Betelgeuse is just a cool, red supergiant getting ready for shell collapse as it undergoes its final stage evolving into a planetary nebula, thankfully not a hot OB supergiant getting ready to go supernova, in which case we would be bathed in a deadly stream of gamma rays that would sterilize our planet.

it'll take hundreds of years before any residual pressure wave from it reaches us and many more thousands of years after that before any expanding material from it finally reaches us
The thing is, we are seeing what it looked like 640 years ago. If it exploded 639 years ago, we'll see it next year. It's also 700 times the size of our sun

Express – One of the brightest stars in the night’s sky could be gearing up to explode, astronomers have warned, and the resulting explosion could be visible from Earth. The star known as Betelgeuse has been dimming over the past month, which would suggest that it is likely to supernova. Stars supernova when they are at the end of their lives had run out of fuel after millions of years. When they do, they implode, collapsing in on themselves before a huge explosion occurs. Over the past two weeks, Betelgeuse has gone from one of the top 10 brightest stars visible to the naked eye to the 21st – of roughly 5,000 which can be seen.

Exploding star may be visible from Earth warns astronomers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe it can knock some sense ............. into the brain dead left bahahha.

Its sad and rather pathetic that you get up in the morning and IMMEDIATELY start thinking about how much you hate liberals.

Is that why conservatives are so much happier than liberals?
because they spend all day consumed with hate?

it'll take hundreds of years before any residual pressure wave from it reaches us and many more thousands of years after that before any expanding material from it finally reaches us
The thing is, we are seeing what it looked like 640 years ago. If it exploded 639 years ago, we'll see it next year. It's also 700 times the size of our sun

Of course, but the light image will still reach us first with any other possible events lagging by the amounts indicated. Even the Sun, when we see it set, we are really seeing it where it was 8 minutes and 41 seconds ago. The dimming of Betelgeuse we are seeing in the sky, whether due to carbon obscuration or preliminary collapse, is the image of what actually happened 640 years ago just reaching us now.

Forum List

Back