Explain to me

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
the reasoning behind letting apartments and employers discriminate against a person for 7 years when they pose no danger to society

the only reason i can think of is they need/want people to go back to prison for some reason

Details, man!

Discriminate how? If you filed a bankruptcy, you have demonstrated your lack of job/money skills and doubtful honesty. They would be stupid not to discriminate in that case.

• Banned
I mean as in an honest working White man gets turned down for employment or housing based only on the fact that he defended himself against an attack by multiple assailants- for seven years after defending himself.

Well, he must have a record of some kind for something. "Wanting someone to go back to prison" would indicate there is a record. I don't see anybody volunteering the info that they were in a fight to any prospective employer or a leasing agent.

They do background checks in the complex where I live. They also get a weekly police report so they can keep tabs.

I have to say this is the most beautiful, well-kept, and well-managed complex I've ever lived in.

Last edited:
The response of society to a police record is just one more reason you don't want one. It is the extra step in law enforcement that if you do bad stuff, there are bad consequences forever.

I don't have a clue to what you are speaking to here, I am just guessing blind. YOu need to provide links and and better explanation before we are going to go an inch for you.

I am a landlord and if I find a criminal record on one person handing in a ap I will likely rent to someone else who handed in an ap without a criminal record.

I would assume an employer would do the same.

There are other choices to rent or employ is your problem.

I would suggest you get some of your court documented evidence that shows you were attacked and approch your prospective employer or landlord while applying and explain your situation to them up front. We are human and some may feel for your plight and give you a break. When you go through the paperwork to check and find a "surprize" it often justs negates you out because there are other people to choose.

Give it a try.

• Banned
Simple really: you and your buddies decide to jump someone and you get hurt- that's on you.

When the victim is charged for defending himself and then is screwed for seven years, there's something very wrong with the system

I feel for you jb.

Life sometimes is just not fair.

Give what I suggests a try , it cant hurt

I am a landlord and if I find a criminal record on one person handing in a ap I will likely rent to someone else who handed in an ap without a criminal record.

I would suggest you get some of your court documented evidence that shows you were attacked and approch your prospective employer or landlord while applying and explain your situation to them up front. We are human and some may feel for your plight and give you a break. When you go through the paperwork to check and find a "surprize" it often justs negates you out because there are other people to choose.

Give it a try.

How very 'liberal' of you. Not.

My dad, a staunch conservative, actively employs people with criminal records... he believes in giving people the chance to change their lives. :eek: I find that a fascinating glance into the mindset of a 'bleeding heart liberal' who won't help their fellow man, and a 'God, Guts and Guns' Conservative who will.

I thought the conservatives were supposed to be the selfish bastards, and the liberals were the ones who care about others.

I am shocked by this discovery...... except I am not shocked at all, or surprised.

Dear idiot,

Being a liberal has nothing to do with renting a house to whom I best determine will take care of my property while I live in another state.

If I was employing someone who I would supervise daily I would likely do like your dad does.

I rent to people who seem nice and have a history of paying their bills and will be a good neighbor for the people who also live in the neighborhood.

I have children depending on me not to pick someone who might hurt them living next door.

I care about my neighbors and they often thank me for my choices.

Simple really: you and your buddies decide to jump someone and you get hurt- that's on you.

When the victim is charged for defending himself and then is screwed for seven years, there's something very wrong with the system

I am suspicious as hell of all this. A "victim" is "charged" for "defending himself."

Your use of the term, "victim," implies that you (I am assuming this is about you) did nothing wrong. OK. Let's move on. "Charged" implies that you were only charged, never convicted by way of a plea or verdict. Was that really the case? In another post, you talk about "going back to prison," which implies that you have been there before. You don't go to prison unless you have been convicted of something. Did you go to prison because of a conviction in this incident or some other incident?

"Defending himself" implies, once again, no wrongdoing whatsoever on the part of the "victim." Just guessing blind, I would say that the critical question here is HOW did you "defend" yourself? With an AK-47 when you were merely being attacked with fists? You can't do that. If you do, you will go to jail/prison.

I'm guessing that if you went to prison for "defending yourself," it probably involved use of excessive or deadly force against a non-life-threatening attack.

Once again, if you want answers, you are going to have to spill your guts on this one and provide much more information than has you have thus far. (If you are reluctant to do so on an open thread, feel free to PM me.)

I thought the conservatives were supposed to be the selfish bastards, and the liberals were the ones who care about others.

No - you have that one right.

How like a liberal. And yet, on this very thread, it is demonstrated that the 'bleeding heart liberal' has no problem turning people away because of a criminal record.... and the conservative who actually goes out and finds those with a criminal record and offers them a way out.

Can you be more of an idiot?

No - you have that one right.

How like a liberal. And yet, on this very thread, it is demonstrated that the 'bleeding heart liberal' has no problem turning people away because of a criminal record.... and the conservative who actually goes out and finds those with a criminal record and offers them a way out.

Can you be more of an idiot?

another attempt to use a personal anecdote to prove something on an internet message board. as soon as proof is demanded you will then claim you value your privacy. you and your anecdotes are worthless.

Give it a try.

How very 'liberal' of you. Not.

My dad, a staunch conservative, actively employs people with criminal records... he believes in giving people the chance to change their lives. :eek: I find that a fascinating glance into the mindset of a 'bleeding heart liberal' who won't help their fellow man, and a 'God, Guts and Guns' Conservative who will.

I am shocked by this discovery...... except I am not shocked at all, or surprised.

Your Dad is a good man, if it wasn't for people like him and Red Adair I would not be where I am today. I was fresh out of prison and Red gave me a job that turned out to be a twenty year career that I have since retired from. He also helped convince Governor Mark White to grant me a full pardon.

With an AK-47 when you were merely being attacked with fists? You can't do that. If you do, you will go to jail/prison.

If you and your pals jump a man and you get cut, that's on you.

A gun or a knife is a perfectly valid means of defending yourself against multiple attackers or against a larger attacker.

Anyone who chooses to attack another person has no valid complaint regarding any injuries they sustain when the person they attack defends themselves using any means available.

@OP: Could you please explain the situation using specific examples and details?

Without any evidence to show this really happens/happened, I'm inclined to believe you're making things up.

Forum List

Back