Experts Warn of 'Terminator'-Style Military-Robot Rebellion

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
:lol: :badgrin: :D

FOXNews.com - Experts Warn of 'Terminator'-Style Military-Robot Rebellion - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News

Autonomous military robots that will fight future wars must be programmed to live by a strict warrior code, or the world risks untold atrocities at their steely hands.

The stark warning — which includes discussion of a "Terminator"-style scenario in which robots turn on their human masters — is part of a hefty report funded by and prepared for the U.S. Navy's high-tech and secretive Office of Naval Research.

The report, the first serious work of its kind on military robot ethics, envisages a fast-approaching era where robots are smart enough to make battlefield decisions that are at present the preserve of humans.

Last edited:
I don't think this is laughing matter. In fact this is very scary, and probably closer than any of us can imagine.

Which is why, obviously, we have to cease this shit and prevent these bastards from making super robots to fight their wars. Jesus, don't we ever learn anything?

= \

You really ain't too bright are ya Sunnidiot? EMP (electromagnetic pulse) is generated in the aftermath of a nuclear explosion. Anything within range of the EMP will render all electrical circuits useless.

Incidentally, they have those things for real, right now. Matter of fact, saw it on FutureWeapons on the Military channel. And yes.......they work.

Matter of fact, that could solve a lot of problems in the ME.......drive a truck with an EMP generator into the center of town, switch off all your gear, throw the switch, and send 'em back to the dark ages without bombing them back there.

So no......they're not fantasy. Your belief system is however you islamic prick.

And no Epsilon, you don't have to worry, as the military has made sure to have a guiding HUMAN hand in the operation of all weaponry.

I don't think this is laughing matter. In fact this is very scary, and probably closer than any of us can imagine.

Which is why, obviously, we have to cease this shit and prevent these bastards from making super robots to fight their wars. Jesus, don't we ever learn anything?

= \

People just can't hear the message James Cameron is trying to tell us. :tongue:

And no Epsilon, you don't have to worry, as the military has made sure to have a guiding HUMAN hand in the operation of all weaponry.

I don't know if I can trust them, dude. I mean, when it comes to potentially horrible dangerous weapons I just don't like taking my chances. It's bad enough that nowadays one guy flying thousands of feet above the ground can push a button and instantly pulverize a village, but it's not even that anymore. They're making war a video game, and soon nobody's going to think twice that the little red dots are actual people, of flesh and bone, with two legs and no feathers, just like you and I.

People just can't hear the message James Cameron is trying to tell us. :tongue:

Yes, I guess it's kinda funny because there's already so many movies about it. Killer robots attack, yeah, it only happens in movies. But if the fact is that it is true they're making unmanned war machines, capable soon of making decisions by themselves, ever more cognitive, or ever increasing Artificial Intelligence, why is it so ludicrous that a scenario like that will happen? Sure, maybe it won't happen to us. Maybe it'll be another hundred, two hundred, three hundred years, but still why allow it to happen and why not start now? Similarly, it could be 50 years from now. We don't know. Nobody knows.

Times of London said:
The report, compiled by the Ethics and Emerging Technology department of California State Polytechnic University and obtained by The Times, strongly warns the US military against complacency or shortcuts as military robot designers engage in the “rush to market” and the pace of advances in artificial intelligence is increased.

Any sense of haste among designers may have been heightened by a US congressional mandate that by 2010 a third of all operational “deep-strike” aircraft must be unmanned, and that by 2015 one third of all ground combat vehicles must be unmanned.

“A rush to market increases the risk for inadequate design or programming. Worse, without a sustained and significant effort to build in ethical controls in autonomous systems . . . there is little hope that the early generations of such systems and robots will be adequate, making mistakes that may cost human lives,” the report noted.

You really ain't too bright are ya Sunnidiot? EMP (electromagnetic pulse) is generated in the aftermath of a nuclear explosion. Anything within range of the EMP will render all electrical circuits useless.

Incidentally, they have those things for real, right now. Matter of fact, saw it on FutureWeapons on the Military channel. And yes.......they work.

Matter of fact, that could solve a lot of problems in the ME.......drive a truck with an EMP generator into the center of town, switch off all your gear, throw the switch, and send 'em back to the dark ages without bombing them back there.

So no......they're not fantasy. Your belief system is however you islamic prick.

abs...you get to get a life....turn off the hilter channel...we use to call the history channel that..but it has gotten much better...but a steady diet of that stuff will make you...well...look at you?

did you wanna be weirdly smart and scarey when you were 12?

oooo hell....one of the scariest stories i have ever read....i think the title was...i could scream but i have no mouth....o hell i read it many years ago....computers take over..and keep 5 or 6 people to play with....

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream (Criticism): Information from Answers.com

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (Paperback) by Harlan Ellison - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

o damned i have blocked this for a long time...it was so creepy.....thanks guys....for the memories

abs...you get to get a life....turn off the hilter channel...we use to call the history channel that..but it has gotten much better...but a steady diet of that stuff will make you...well...look at you?

did you wanna be weirdly smart and scarey when you were 12?

I said MILITARY, not History. FutureWeapons (which is narrated by a former SEAL) is on the MILITARY channel.

Besides, I didn't have to wait until 12. I was that way by 8.

The revolt of the robots won't happen until the Master class has systematically starved most of us into extinction anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Forum List

Back