Experts say US sex abstinence program doesn't work

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uDoQFcQEpOQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uDoQFcQEpOQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I'm sure you do. Your impressions are usually incorrect.

You must be younger than me. I was finished with high school in the 80s. We were never taught in school anything other than what I stated.

ive said it before, Im a child of the 90s. You know, when we as a nation were dealing with sexually transmitted diseases above and beyond pulling a reagan and ignoring the facts at hand.

You can thank Reagan for the fact that teen pregnancies have been declining since his presidency. He insisted on bringing abstinence back into the picture.

And the results are there for everybody to see.

This paper empirically examines the relationship between enrollment is sex education and subsequent sexual behavior for U.S. teenagers during the 1970's. The estimates indicate that enrollment in sex education was associated with earlier sexual activity for females in this cohart. Sex education also was associated with earlier pregnancy for some group of females, but these effects are smaller and not always statistically significant. For both types of transitions, the effect of sex education appears to have been larger for women with fewer alternative sources of sexual information. In contrast, sex education had much less impact on male transitions into sexual activity. Within-family analyses using sibling data reveal qualitatively similar patterns. Overall, the evidence suggests that sex education in the 1970's had some causal impact on teen sexual behavior, probably in significant part by providing information that enabled teens to alter the risks of sexual activity.

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/250073?journalCode=jpe

here. THIS is what you r source is citing and, as you can see, it suggests the opposite of that you think it does.

You can thank Reagan for the fact that teen pregnancies have been declining since his presidency. He insisted on bringing abstinence back into the picture.

And the results are there for everybody to see.

NO, THAT is the point, baba. the ABSTINANCE policy does work.

scroll up. And, given his attention to AIDS it's a fucking laugh that you suggest thanking him for anything that amounts to facing a subject head on.

The article discussed the efficacy of abstinence-only sexual education. The Lawmakers didn't do an independent study; they cited available government statistics. Studies for teenage pregnancy and STDs measure data up to the age of 20.

But that is relevant to the efficacy of the program, because performance beyond high school reflects on what you learned in high school. Had the kids been given good information in school, they wouldn't be screwing up as much at ages 18 and 19.

You're equating having a child to "screwing up". This is when I actually have to specifically criticise liberals. This is typical of a far left liberal, to say that people, who are legal adults, have somehow "screwed up" because they had a child.

This is only proof that we need stricter enforcement. Call out gun raids any time a teen turns on music. Start tapping phones. We must stop the spread of endorphins. :rofl:

The Bush League is pushing Abstinence Only Sex Ed, to appease social conservatives. You have described in general terms the Abstinence Plus Sex Ed program, which has a much better track record. I'm not sure if it has the "scared straight" component, though. Most, if not all, liberals, endorse Abstinence Plus.

Welcome, gunny. Turn away from the Dark Side.
icon12.gif

I did turn away from the Dark Side. I used to be a registered Democrat.;)

No, to be totally honest, considering the last 8 years of your dogma junkie drivel it IS their fault for limiting the education of kids who might have avoided shit but couldn't because THEY were too busy hoping jebus would intervene...

TEACH IT ALL to them?

no shit. Seems like I recall MY side clamering on about that while the DOGMA JUNKIE was busy handing out gay fucking cheap rings and bracelets? True love WHAT, dude? Oh yea, finds the necessary excuse for rationalizing sex.

Not sure what you are calling "my" dogma junkie drivel. I've held the same position on this topic for longer than 8 years, and long before this board or Bush.

The fact you on the left have chosen to point a finger at religion as the reason for those who support abistence only programs doesn't make it so. I learned long ago your brain ceases to function and goes into kookoo land on the topic of religion sot it isn't like I expect anything different.

A lot of parents just don't want their children's innocence taken any sooner than it has to be, and no matter what else you want to say about it, it DOES do that where sex is concerned. "Daddy's little girl" doesn't look at Daddy the same way after the school's taught her how to fuck.

I know. And it's idiotic that the left keeps whining about it. Even the posters in the state buildings that show the methods of birth control and the reliability show abstinence at 100 percent.

I don't see a problem with telling kids that.

And it' sunrealistic to think that kids nowadays are going to remian abstinent until they are mature enough to actually understand the topic. If they were mature to begin with, none of it would be a problem. They're emotion driven teens. Girls want to be accepted by boys and boys want to screw them. Bad combination and one that precludes any notion that a responsible decision is going to be made.

Forum List

Back