Expelled Oklahoma U fraternity to sue university, possibly President Boren

A Perez

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2015
March 12, 2015: "The local chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon is planning to pursue legal action against the University of Oklahoma, and possibly OU President David Boren.

The group has hired high-profile attorney, Stephen Jones to represent them.

Jones told NewsChannel 4 the group is outraged over President Boren shutting down the fraternity house and branding all SAE members as racists and bigots.

Jones says the two students who were expelled because of the incident have apologized sincerely for their remarks, and now the incident is being exploited."

OU SAE to sue university possibly President Boren KFOR.com

March 12, 2015: "The local chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon is planning to pursue legal action against the University of Oklahoma, and possibly OU President David Boren.

The group has hired high-profile attorney, Stephen Jones to represent them.

Jones told NewsChannel 4 the group is outraged over President Boren shutting down the fraternity house and branding all SAE members as racists and bigots.

Jones says the two students who were expelled because of the incident have apologized sincerely for their remarks, and now the incident is being exploited."

OU SAE to sue university possibly President Boren KFOR.com

As well they should. And they're gonna win. Their expulsion was unlawful since the university's public. Had it been a private university it'd have been fine.

Since the university no doubt has codes of conduct and a bunch of legalese that probably none of these drunk frat boys bothered to read before they signed, not so much.

Oh, look everyone, Mac is coming out in favor of racist frat boys.

Since the university no doubt has codes of conduct and a bunch of legalese that probably none of these drunk frat boys bothered to read before they signed, not so much.

That's the same simplistic, idiotic argument all liberals use: "The college has a code of conduct therefore the expulsion was constitutional."

But they don't wonder whether the code of conduct was broken at all. The relevant section in the code of conduct says that the harassment has to be based on a protected class and "so severe, pervasive and objectively offensive that it effectively keeps the targets of discrimination from getting an education,” says Robert Shibley, executive director of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education. Link SAE s speech may be protected by First Amendment - OUDaily.com News

Will OU show a judge that someone was kept from getting an education because of this video? Who are the "targets" in the video?

Then we see what legal experts say: "the code could not take precedence over First Amendment rights." Link http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/12/u...oma-students-leads-to-free-speech-debate.html

Related: Why expelled Oklahoma frat boys would have an excellent chance in court - The Washington Post

Last edited:
That's the same simplistic, idiotic argument all liberals use: "The college has a code of conduct therefore the expulsion was constitutional." Then we see what legal experts say: "the code could not take precedence over First Amendment rights." Link http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/12/u...oma-students-leads-to-free-speech-debate.html

Do you liberals really think that this all boils down to the existence of a code of conduct? Is there any university that doesn't have one? Do you argue that legal experts somehow believe that OU didn't have a code of conduct?

the first Amendment doesn't prevent universities from taking action, just Congress. so, no.

Now, I'm sure that there's some ambulance chaser who is going to take this to court, and the university might even settle to get rid of the charge.

Its called being in favor of due process.

There is a statement out there. If you only support speech YOU agree with, you are a hack. If you only support speech that everyone agrees with, then you are a coward"

That's the same simplistic, idiotic argument all liberals use: "The college has a code of conduct therefore the expulsion was constitutional." Then we see what legal experts say: "the code could not take precedence over First Amendment rights." Link http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/12/u...oma-students-leads-to-free-speech-debate.html

Do you liberals really think that this all boils down to the existence of a code of conduct? Is there any university that doesn't have one? Do you argue that legal experts somehow believe that OU didn't have a code of conduct?

the first Amendment doesn't prevent universities from taking action, just Congress. so, no.

Now, I'm sure that there's some ambulance chaser who is going to take this to court, and the university might even settle to get rid of the charge.

Public Universities have been held to the same standard of speech protection that government has.

Well, let's watch how it plays out and let the adversarial system of justice do it's thing, but on the surface I would venture to say that such a lawsuit doesn't have much of a chance, for the same reason that JoeB mentioned.

There is a statement out there. If you only support speech YOU agree with, you are a hack. If you only support speech that everyone agrees with, then you are a coward"

It isn't a free speech issue. Just like the Duck Dynasty guy or that Fat chick who liked to cook with butter, whatever her name was. It's not a free speech issue if my boss fires me after I call him an asshole.

This is a transaction between parties. There's no due process issue here. These guys were caught on tape chanting racist epitaths, which violates the universities code of conduct. Therefore the university was well within its rights to expell the little racist fucks.

Public Universities have been held to the same standard of speech protection that government has.

No, they don't. again, no one is throwing them in jail for their racist rants. They are just saying, "We don't want you going to school here because you'll probably get your asses kicked."

Hey, whatever happened to the "Party of Personal Responsibility". YOu know, the one that says people need to own up to their actions?

Last I heard, the First Amendment even applied to racist frat boys.

It isn't a free speech issue. Just like the Duck Dynasty guy or that Fat chick who liked to cook with butter, whatever her name was. It's not a free speech issue if my boss fires me after I call him an asshole.

This is a transaction between parties. There's no due process issue here. These guys were caught on tape chanting racist epitaths, which violates the universities code of conduct. Therefore the university was well within its rights to expell the little racist fucks.

Yes, it is a free speech issue. The difference between your examples is those people were with private companies who could set their own rules. This is a public university paid with public funds. They are part of the government. If the government can throw people out of school for speech you don't like, they can throw them out for speech you do.

And the consequences thereof...
These people have no legal right to remain students of this university...if they do post the evidence.

Students are not employees. and neither of those two interacted with a government agency.

A code of conduct that violates any amendment given rights is null and void on its face.

Yes, it does. Congress has no business telling them they can't say Racist things.

But it doesn't entitle them to enrollment in a university.

No, they don't. again, no one is throwing them in jail for their racist rants. They are just saying, "We don't want you going to school here because you'll probably get your asses kicked."

Hey, whatever happened to the "Party of Personal Responsibility". YOu know, the one that says people need to own up to their actions?

"We are expelling you to protect you?"

Lol, your inner fascist is showing again. It sounds like nothing more than a glammed up version of "protective custody"

Yes, it does. Congress has no business telling them they can't say Racist things.

But it doesn't entitle them to enrollment in a university.

A Public university, which is a government entity, and has to follow the rules of government.

"We are expelling you to protect you?"

Lol, your inner fascist is showing again. It sounds like nothing more than a glammed up version of "protective custody"

well, they probably don't want to clean the blood of these two shitheads off their nice concrete...

Seriously, why would they want to go to school where they're going to be universally hated? They're probably better off enrolling somewhere else.

Forum List

Back