Expect a bad day Monday

Hi DavidS:

I'm reading a lot of negative reaction on the stock forums about the government's role in telling a CEO to step down. I think this is a good sample of what a lot of people will be seeing on Monday. We could be around 7400 by the time the day ends.

The stock market goes up when too many people believe the Obama LIES and comes back down when reality sets in. Period. We still have too much Outsourcing of JOBS and too many Foreign Nationals (legal and illegal) displacing US workers from JOBS. We still have 10,000 foreclosures (and rising) every single day and another 600,000 people will be unemployed by this time next month.

The U.S. Economy is IMPLODING through a carefully orchestrated PLAN that works like musical chairs where somebody is always left standing. By September or October of this year the stock market will collapse under the weight of a deteriorating consumer base, falling house prices, failed retailers slashing prices to undercut the competition, failing banks with worthless mortgage-backed security portfolios and failing insurance companies holding the bad paper bag on failed insurance polices to boot.

You guys are moving around chairs on the Titanic that has yet to begin the nosedive to the bottom of the ocean . . .

GL,

Terral

That's already happening right now. The market is churning out a bottom as we speak.

The market is always a few quarters ahead of the news and things will turn around before you know it. The talking heads won't tell you until they've bought all theirs. :cool:

I'm reading a lot of negative reaction on the stock forums about the government's role in telling a CEO to step down. I think this is a good sample of what a lot of people will be seeing on Monday. We could be around 7400 by the time the day ends.

Good call David.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama declared Monday that General Motors and Chrysler restructuring plans were too little too late, leaving him no choice but to push out GM's chief executive and set a one-month deadline for Chrysler to merge with Italy's Fiat SpA.

Obama, who was stepping into the American industrial sector with a force not seen in generations, also raised the possibility of a controlled bankruptcy to help either or both companies to "restructure quickly and emerge stronger" -- uttering the term that industry and union officials have warned repeatedly could lead to the collapse of an entire domestic industry.

But Obama sought to soften the blow.

"What I am not talking about is a process where a company is broken up, sold off, and no longer exists," Obama said. "And what I am not talking about is having a company stuck in court for years, unable to get out."

As the U.S. economic recession deepened and the auto giants sought more taxpayer money, the president was performing radical surgery.

Underscoring the extent to which the government is now dictating terms to two of the country's iconic corporations -- forcing the departure of Rick Wagoner as CEO of General Motors, Obama bluntly warned the administration may pull the plug on either or both companies.

Dating to his days as a presidential candidate, Obama had been openly critical of the U.S. auto industry, voicing deep dissatisfaction with the way it has done business.

Declaring he would no longer "excuse poor decisions" as the companies tried to survive on "an unending flow of tax dollars," Obama said, "These companies and this industry must ultimately stand on their own, not as wards of the state."
White House moves dramatically on auto industry - Yahoo! Finance

What's a 'controlled bankruptcy'? Is that different from Chap. 11?

I took that to mean with government oversight and control...?

I see a buying opportunity today. A lot of securities took a beating today and it looks oversold to me.

I've been playing with micro-caps lately, myself. Smart picks are earning me 10% or more. I just missed out on a 100% pick because I was stuck in a not so liquid stock, but it's ok. That stock itself has already earned me a nice return.

I'm with you, Paulie! :beer: Opportunity abounds if you do your homework.

Hi Valerie:

That's already happening right now. The market is churning out a bottom as we speak.

Hardly. The market fundamentals are BROKEN and have been for some time now. There is no stock market bottom, because there is no housing market bottom and the consumer base is being systematically destroyed. The company I work for built a restaurant that is opening today and take a guess how many applications they received for waitresses? 900! The company I worked at for years and years had 350 employees and is now down to about 20. There is no market corridor showing you highs and lows, because the bottom has been kicked out; but far too many people cannot read the writing on the wall.

The market is always a few quarters ahead of the news and things will turn around before you know it. The talking heads won't tell you until they've bought all theirs. :cool:

Not this time . . . You guys should listen to Gerald Celente:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nJ7LM3iyNg"]This Guy Knows His Stuff[/ame]

GL,

Terral

Terral just because one man is saying it doesn't make it true. I'm one of the most bearish people you'll ever meet, and even I don't think this is the end of the world. I think the government will prove to have successfully managed to kick the can another 5 or so years down the road.

There's too much money waiting to be invested at this point, people aren't going to just sit on cash positions forever. A new asset will be discovered as the next big thing, and the next bubble will begin. But there will be opportunity to make a killing during this time. I advocate NOTHING the government has done so far, but I'll be god damned if I'm going to get screwed by it, I'm going to fucking PROFIT from it this time. I played my part, I tried to help spread the word about Ron Paul, and make a difference. This country is fucked, socially and politically. The elite call the shots, they hold the reins. All we can do is play along and be a little smarter than the average sheep.

Hi Valerie:

Hardly. The market fundamentals are BROKEN and have been for some time now. There is no stock market bottom, because there is no housing market bottom and the consumer base is being systematically destroyed. The company I work for built a restaurant that is opening today and take a guess how many applications they received for waitresses? 900! The company I worked at for years and years had 350 employees and is now down to about 20. There is no market corridor showing you highs and lows, because the bottom has been kicked out; but far too many people cannot read the writing on the wall.

Not this time . . . You guys should listen to Gerald Celente:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nJ7LM3iyNg"]This Guy Knows His Stuff[/ame]

GL,

Terral

Every talking head has an agenda. Did you know that if you buy SHORTS you can make money on the market going DOWN? Did you know they are about to change the UPTICK rule which will change everything in that regard?

I'm just an individual who has been saving and investing ON MY OWN advice for about 20 years now. I saw the writing on the wall over a year ago and I have been sitting in all cash WAITING for this opportunity. I have been very successful in the market because I have foresight and patience and I'm not greedy, I just want to secure my future and not count on anyone else to do it for me. A healthy dose of fear to go along with greed is GOOD for the market. I grew up poor and put myself through college, I hold my money tightly and do not take risk lightly. When I began working after college and my employer offered an IRA I began studying the market and I am offering my personal advice to anyone who cares to listen. This market is a BUYING opportunity IMHO. Time will tell.

I started a thread about the ROTH IRA because I want everyone to know this opportunity for growth is accessible to EVERYONE! You don't have to be rich!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/stock-market/72537-roth-i-r-a.html

so everyone would like to blame this on obama booting a ceo........well guess what our local (san francisco) radio stations are saying.....

this has nothing to do with political decissions....it is just the way corporate america is......

watch this start to be the new spin.....

It's probably got a little to do with the GM situation. Boy I wish GM would make up their mind. One week they're near bankruptcy, the next week they're looking like they're getting healthier. Then they're bankrupt again. This market is being heavily manipulated by the media, it's becoming obvious at this point.

It's probably got a little to do with the GM situation. Boy I wish GM would make up their mind. One week they're near bankruptcy, the next week they're looking like they're getting healthier. Then they're bankrupt again. This market is being heavily manipulated by the media, it's becoming obvious at this point.

I think you're right, "market sentiment" is an important factor which drives the day to day price action, but there are ways to read the signs the market is giving. It's complicated, but I'm optimistic.

If you look at the charts for the last two months, it looks like we might be setting up for a W pattern. If we touch 7000 by the end of the week, and the trends stay the same, April could be a down month on the way to testing the lows again.

Just an observation.

If you look at the charts for the last two months, it looks like we might be setting up for a W pattern. If we touch 7000 by the end of the week, and the trends stay the same, April could be a down month on the way to testing the lows again.

Just an observation.

I like using yahoo finance charts. Basic technical analysis.

There are lots of sites out there that offer the same insight with a different view.

Check out the charts for DIA

Quotes for DIA - Yahoo! Finance

The I- Shares of Japan : EWJ

Quotes for EWJ - Yahoo! Finance

i was watching cnbc and a guy believes the dow will fall 5 to 7% before the next rally.

Last edited:
It is certainly an opportunity to get in right now. Like Paulie, I know the big shots make the calls but at a time like this, and they are few and far, people with patience can get on board and stand a better than average chance at making profitable investments. I prefer to see folks earning through production, rather than investment but that is an aside to this. Forgetting what's wrong with the way we do business and accepting it instead, says get in NOW if you can. These huge government investments will not be allowed to fail unless the bottom does completely drop. And we're all screwed then anyway. Absent that total failure, there will be a recovery.....probably a grand one.

Paulie,

I suspect that technical analysis works especially well when enough people are following that technical technique -- Self fulfilling market prophecies often work that way.

As to the state of the economy (not the market) it's in the tanks. And as long as the people are in the tank, the economy (as I define it at least) isn't going to revive.

Confidence (or the lack of it) drives the market, but honest to god reality inevitably drives the economy no matter how much the FED messes with it, or the mavens tout it.

Last edited:
Paulie,

I suspect that technical analysis works especially well when enough people are following that technical technique -- Self fulfilling market prophecies often work that way.

As to the state of the economy (not the market) it's in the tanks. And as long as the people are in the tank, the economy (as I define it at least) isn't going to revive.

Confidence (or the lack of it) drives the market, but honest to god reality inevitably drives the economy no matter how much the FED messes with it, or the mavens tout it.

you are are correct there is a difference in the market and the economy, but there have been good indicators over the last 3 weeks. and another good thing could come thursday when the accounting agency announces whether or the will ease accounting standards.

Paulie,

Technical analysis is ESPECIALLY important these days because this market is being moved by traders right now, not long term investors. You need to pick out the support/resistance levels and trade the trends. It's psychology, becuase you're going on what you're expecting everyone else to be going on. It's not 100% rock solid, but if you study you can recognize certain spots.

And wimpy, I'm not saying becuase he's on CNBC he's wrong, just that there shouldn't be any ONE person you listen to for what's going to happen next. That guy doesn't know anything more than another person on CNBC who thinks we're only going up from here. None of them really know, they just make CNBC look good by having their "expert" opinion on the show.

Forum List

Back