Exit Strategy?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by st8_o_mind, Apr 15, 2004.

1. st8_o_mind

st8_o_mind Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I got the quote below from the net, they are not my words, but they seem like relevent questions that should have been answered before the war. It also seems, judging by the press conference, questions that Bush can't answer today.

"If you're going to go in and try to topple Saddam Hussein,you have to go to Baghdad. Once you've got Baghdad, it's not clear what you do with it. It's not clear what kind of government you would put in place of the one that's currently there now. Is it going to be a Shia regime, a Sunni regime or a Kurdish regime? Or one that tilts toward the Baathists, or one that tilts toward the Islamic fundamentalists? How much credibility is that government going to have if it's set up by the United States military when it's there? How long does the United States military have to stay to protect the people that sign on for that government, and what happens to it once we leave?"

2. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I believe the general elections will decide most of those questions. The US assisted them in setting up an interim government, the general elections will decide where it goes from there.

3. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    All questions that have been decided and are now being adjusted as squirmishes continue. A government has always been planned on being run by "Iraqis". Whatever the Iraqis decide on in the General Election is what will be decided for IRaq. We'll hold their hands but we're not going to tell them what to do or what government to live under.

As for the Armed Forces being there, Bush has made it clear that we will be there as long as is needed for Iraq to become a self governing nation and not a day longer. If that means months, then so be it. If it means years then so be it.

Its not fair to say he doesnt have a plan when his plan has been working rather well. Consider that we have gone in, eleiminated the former regime, rounded up all but minor insurgent forces, set up the preliminary structure for a government run by the Iraqi people, set up standard institutions such as Schools and hospitals and have allowed them to be relatively unharmed in a majority of the country. All this in alittle over a year. That sounds like a pretty damn good plan to me.

4. st8_o_mind

st8_o_mind Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The election, if it is seen as credible by the majority of Iraqi's will help but will not likely dictate US policy. I doubt a shia regime (back by Iran?) will be acceptable to the US and the Shea are the majority. But the questions remains, will the government be seen as credible by the Iraqi's and more important, what will happen when we leave.

5. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Define "working rather well" and "relatively unharmed." When all is said and done we can total the body count(innocent casualties of war an soldiers alike) and then add to it the resentment of the United States by the Arab world and we'll have a much better idea of how good his exit strategy was/is.

I'd say he got more than he bargained for.
    But that's me.
    And I am of the opinion that OVERALL, the important thing is not that we invaded Baghdad(that may have been inevitable) but how we did it.

I don't know how accurate it is to say that it is going "pretty well." Hundreds of American lives have been lost, thousands of Iraqis. As of now 20 foreign nationals are suspected kidnapped. An Israeli and an Italian journalist have been subjected to televised executions. American soldiers have had there bodies mutilated and dragged threough the streets. The streets of Iraq ARE NOT safe. And as we speak a radical cleric is planning more and more attacks against our troops and interests.

I'm rambling....

But I think it will take a decade or two to truly estimate the totality of this war and it's implications...

6. Survalli

Survalli Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    i believe we have an exit strategy that basically has us running away with our tails between our legs...while our new Iraqi transitional government hides in their new seats of government.

7. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    The assumption you make is that we will in fact leave.

Notice how how could have easily asked the same questions after our occupation of Japan and Germany. Or wondered how things would turn out once our basing among allies like South Korea or the Phillipeans ended.

The fact is we haven't really abandoned any of these, at all, have we?

As long as the American have the will to advance the new Iraqi freedoms, and remain committed as we have done in all these prior endevours, unless you are racist at heart, Iraq will prosper as have all our other allies under our protection.

And in all these prior cases in now liberally democratic nations, our withdrawal is now more of a threat from us, rather than a demand from them.

I doubt we will ever really "leave" Iraq, as long as they need and want us to remain.

8. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Well said, Comrade.

9. alan1234567890

alan1234567890 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    are we soposed to leave the troops thier for ever who else are we going to attack on terror cuba i think this is insane

10. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Hopefully we'll abuse Syria next. I don't like their attitude. :)