CDZ Existing Homes, Flying under the Radar?

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
Building homes is investment and counts toward GDP

Sprucing the house up for sale can count as part of GDP.

The validity of implicit rent for owner occupied housing in the aftermath of a natural disaster seems to prove this metric is incomplete.

Decreasing property values in high tax jurisdictions and increasing property values in low tax jurisdiction should be causing wild swings in wealth effects

I am of the opinion that the changes in wealth effects, increasing and decreasing tax base, changes in how and where housing can be used as a piggy bank are not being accounted for usefully.

Is this going to have a major effect on the 2020 election?

I don't think so, but it might have a small effect on the 2020 Census and resulting apportionment of House seats.

I take the opposite position, too few people who can simply write off a six or seven figure home or a home equity loan in that range but enough millionaires without much choice about starting over again or going belly up if their tax bill sky-rockets

So who's vote is it going to change in 2020? Is California going to turn red?

Building homes is investment and counts toward GDP

Sprucing the house up for sale can count as part of GDP.

The validity of implicit rent for owner occupied housing in the aftermath of a natural disaster seems to prove this metric is incomplete.

Decreasing property values in high tax jurisdictions and increasing property values in low tax jurisdiction should be causing wild swings in wealth effects

I am of the opinion that the changes in wealth effects, increasing and decreasing tax base, changes in how and where housing can be used as a piggy bank are not being accounted for usefully.

We don't rebuild in these parts, we just move west when the gutters need cleaned for the first time. Its in our blood.

For the longest time I thought capitalism would make housing where it doesn't belong too expensive. National and local debts be damnedn ppl keep building in deserts and flood plains.

I am wondering if we moved rezoning to a state level act if it would be more organized or move slower and retain the value of existing homes?

I am not sure tax rates and home values are directly connected. Your home values are based on demand for housing and your tax rates are based on the need for funding. Our local real estate tax rate went from .72% to .8% last year to fund teacher wage hikes and the local government got smacked down by city council when they tried to raise it yet again to .84% and add an additional 30 cent per pack smoke tax to cover additional pay increases.

I am not sure tax rates and home values are directly connected. Your home values are based on demand for housing and your tax rates are based on the need for funding. Our local real estate tax rate went from .72% to .8% last year to fund teacher wage hikes and the local government got smacked down by city council when they tried to raise it yet again to .84% and add an additional 30 cent per pack smoke tax to cover additional pay increases.
most residential taxes are based on either proximity to attractions/amenities or net rentals minus maintenance. But state and local expenditures for infrastructure are usually a ripe source of corruption trials for US attorneys. And given Blue Wall accounting a search of public records and contracts let should have amazing effects on party machines.

Last edited:
most residential taxes are based on either proximity to attractions or net rentals

Ours are based off sales prices of comparable homes with a base land value that is done over the whole neighborhood (The base tax on the real estate will be the same for a 1/4 acre lot or 1 acre lot for instance throughout the whole neighborhood)

Integrated World Capitalism and the Gutter Nomad

'A recent report estimated that the global housing affordability gap amounts to $650 billion or 1 percent of the global GDP. Roughly 330 million urban households worldwide live in substandard unaffordable housing demanding more than 30 percent of their income. By 2025, based on migration trends and global income projections, that number is expected to climb to 440 million households, representing 1.6 billion people. The world is becoming urbanized, and the city is becoming unaffordable to millions everywhere. See Joseph Gyourko, Christopher Mayer and Todd Sinai, "Superstar Cities," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy 5 (2013): 167-99.'
(Desmond, Eviction, p. 397)

'Left to its own devices, America is becoming more geographically unequal, and politically, it is tearing itself apart.'
(Florida R, The Growing Inequality Between America's Superstar Cities, and the Rest, 19 Nov 2018)

Integrated World Capitalism and the Gutter Nomad

'A recent report estimated that the global housing affordability gap amounts to $650 billion or 1 percent of the global GDP. Roughly 330 million urban households worldwide live in substandard unaffordable housing demanding more than 30 percent of their income. By 2025, based on migration trends and global income projections, that number is expected to climb to 440 million households, representing 1.6 billion people. The world is becoming urbanized, and the city is becoming unaffordable to millions everywhere. See Joseph Gyourko, Christopher Mayer and Todd Sinai, "Superstar Cities," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy 5 (2013): 167-99.'
(Desmond, Eviction, p. 397)

'Left to its own devices, America is becoming more geographically unequal, and politically, it is tearing itself apart.'
(Florida R, The Growing Inequality Between America's Superstar Cities, and the Rest, 19 Nov 2018)

From the Brookings Institute...
Brookings has donated 96% or $824,259 to Democratic candidates and causes since 1990

Nonetheless, the stats are real and do not lie. The future of frontier capitalism/housing in its descending phase doesn't look that promising, because capitalism itself has an intimate relationship to the schizophrenic process, personified in LA's homeless (the schizo, capitalism's limit). One reason why is because capitalism has no code, but only axiomatics.

New Topics

Forum List

Back