Exercise regimen and diet...getting back in tip top shape.

Play paintball. Seriously, my bf and I play every weekend, it's fun and a great workout. Mostly cardio, but still. Give it a try.

Sounds like fun! I've never played. How does it work?

Last weekend, the family went rollerskating. That is some exercise. If you did that every day, you get tight buns and thighs.

I like broccoli too. My favorite broccoli dish is prepared the following way:

Peel the outer layer of the stem. Cut up broccoli crowns, and also the stem (not too thick).
Peel 1 clove of garlic, slice them.
Need crushed red pepper and olive oil

Cover a non-stick pan with a 1/4 cup of olive oil. Heat pan with medium heat until the oil starts to glaze over and ripple.

Add sliced garlic, let the fragrance develop, but don't let it burn.

Add sliced stems and cook for 1minute, then add the florets. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Slowly add 1/4 cup of water, cover pan and let it simmer for 3 minutes. Don't let broccoli get mushy or overcook. Color should still be green and the texture should be crisp. Take off heat, add a few shakes of crushed red peppers.

Tons of cancer fighting agents in broccoli as well as fiber.

all veggies crisp. I hate canned veggies and boiling kills them. steam. when using water use the smallest amount possible so veggies do not get soaked.

hmmmm, I'll try this one with extra virgin olive oil. (I feel so Muslim) :lol:

DevNell, I broke my wrist about 10 years ago, and when I could start working out again I used push up handles. The results were so good that I still use them. My wrist doesn't flex at all, and I get great range of motion. I don't take time off to rest, but I don't do monster workouts either. I do some work from home, and I mounted a pull up bar in my den. Everytime I leave the room, I do enough pushups to get a burn, and everytime I enter the room, I do some pullups. I had trouble motivating myself to devote a block of time to a serious workout, and this works much better for me.

During warmer months I ride my bike quite a bit, and once in a while I load up one of my old rucksacks with about 80 pounds and go out for a 3 or 4 mile walk.

Diet can be complicated if you make it that way. As long as you are exercising, just watch your caloric intake and make sure you aren't taking in any empty calories. And don't snack at night.

In have another few questions.

how long should a regimen be? half an hour, one hour, as long as it takes to complete a set number or reps of a certain number of exercises?

re: this is when starting out new.

Duration is a biggie, and it depends mostly on YOU. What types of exercises are you doing, how long do they take, and how long do you want to spend doing them?

I've known guys that just didn't feel right if they didn't spend 2-3 hours in the gym. They would use really light weights and do set after set after set. I personally find that boring, tedious, and a quick way to get me to dread working out.

Your next question will do much to dictate the answer to your first. Optimally, I spend 35-35 minutes on cardio -- running or jumping rope. 45-60 mins on a stationary bike.

30 minutes practicing kata, or hitting the bag.

30 on lifting.

If it takes longer, it takes longer. I work out in my garage, so the usual domestic interference crops up every now and then.

For instance, if you take any formal martial arts training as you have expressed a desire to do, the class will probably be at least 60 minutes.

what about types of exercises? what about the idea of doing upper body vs legs vs arms etc, on different days? combining upper body with arms and then another day doing legs with abs? or is it better to do a whole body workout in the beginning?

Types of exercises and frequency depend on your goal. Just to tone up, circuit training is probably as good as anything, mixed in with some of the bodyweight and coordination exercises skull pilot mentioned (pullups, pushups, handstand pushups, etc).

Then, there's bodybuilding, powerlifting, Olympic lifting and strength training. Each style has its own set of rules, exercises, and goals. Pick one and I can give you a beginner workout.

DevNell, I broke my wrist about 10 years ago, and when I could start working out again I used push up handles. The results were so good that I still use them. My wrist doesn't flex at all, and I get great range of motion. I don't take time off to rest, but I don't do monster workouts either. I do some work from home, and I mounted a pull up bar in my den. Everytime I leave the room, I do enough pushups to get a burn, and everytime I enter the room, I do some pullups. I had trouble motivating myself to devote a block of time to a serious workout, and this works much better for me.

During warmer months I ride my bike quite a bit, and once in a while I load up one of my old rucksacks with about 80 pounds and go out for a 3 or 4 mile walk.

Diet can be complicated if you make it that way. As long as you are exercising, just watch your caloric intake and make sure you aren't taking in any empty calories. And don't snack at night.

Mich, I've looked at a few handles that turn on the floor and it seems like the forearms twist as opposed to the wrists (what will be the case with me). Are these what you use, and can you recommened a brand or better...any to stay away from?

much appreciated.

I've started slowly out with a regimen that is fitted to my needs. I've started using vice grips (?) for building up some wrist strength. Whatever pain I get is not so bad. I susepst that with time I will build strength or injury. :doubt:

I had to put off the exercise regimen but now that I am starting out again...A pull up bar is next on my list. There is a park near me that has a few bars. Maybe early morning walks over there from the beach walk I do will do for now.

I went to the site somebody linked to in this thread: rosstraining.com (skullpilot) great inspiration. thanks skull.

thanks to Gunny and all who offered advice here.

Forum List

Back