Exercise and diet no use for obese

Like we lie for fags, are we going to start saying fat people are born that way?

I have watched so many people truly and seriously try to lose weight and fail miserably.

And a lot of them really didn't eat a whole lot, either. They seemed destined by genetics to get fat.

My sympathy to those of you who are prone to getting fat.

I cannot imagine what its like to have an appetite that is constantly enticing you to eat more food than your body needs.

Yes that is true and I have also seen many obese people eat enormous quantities of food.

I see obese people around town "grazing" on cheetohs, chips, french fries, soft drinks, and I'll bet they will tell you that they eat very little.

EXERCISE and diet programs are all but useless in helping obese people shed weight permanently, prompting calls from an Australian expert for more public hospitals to offer gastric surgery.

University of Melbourne professor of medicine Joseph Proietto said recent research showed that while obese people who made the effort could shed weight in the short term, after four to five years the lost weight was almost completely regained.

Far from being due to laziness, this appeared to be caused by hormonal changes as the body sought to return to what it considered its benchmark weight.

Uh oh. Bad news for the food nazis.

Comments?

that doesn't even make sense.

I have watched so many people truly and seriously try to lose weight and fail miserably.

And a lot of them really didn't eat a whole lot, either. They seemed destined by genetics to get fat.

I cannot imagine what its like to have an appetite that is constantly enticing you to eat more food than your body needs.

at some point, yo yo dieting messes with your metabolism and you become unable to lose weight via dieting.

but if you exercise AND watch what you eat... and just eat healthy, then you lose weight.

keeping it off is a whole other issue.

I think it's more complicated than that.

I found it interesting that there's a theory that sexual molestation affects hormonal balance, and that there was a study done that found that there was a much higher incidence of obesity in adults who were molested as children....

That was in another thread. I can't even remember the topic now, but it was the one where someone asked for information about how behavior can affect hormone balance.

at some point, yo yo dieting messes with your metabolism and you become unable to lose weight via dieting.

but if you exercise AND watch what you eat... and just eat healthy, then you lose weight.

keeping it off is a whole other issue.
Most of the food sold in grocery stores is non-nutritive and the obese people that eat it are already in starvation mode.

Your brain signals the body to consume calories because it's looking for nutrition, but if you eat empty calories like soda, chips, candy, ice cream and fast food your body will not shut off that "feed me calories" signal in your gut. It'll do the only thing it knows what to do and what it's hard wired to do: Signal you to consume MORE CALORIES. "Watching what you Eat" or "Consuming Fewer Calories" and even "Exercising" won't work until you change that.

Until Americans abandon the FDA Approved Food Pyramid they'll remain obese.

I see obese people around town "grazing" on cheetohs, chips, french fries, soft drinks, and I'll bet they will tell you that they eat very little.

Yeah, fat people say they hardly eat. Sometimes they really do hardly eat, and then they LOSE WEIGHT! Then they go back to their old diet and gain the weight back.

If you diet, your body defies the laws of physics, allowing you to produce work without energy input? Dumb, du, du, du, dumb, dumb.

And, thanks for promoting one if the biggest myths about weight loss, that exercise is important.

While I believe some people do have a much more difficult time losing weight or maintaining a decent weight, I don't buy into the idea that they cannot do it. We hear stories all the time how people have lost hundreds of pounds through exercise and proper diet. But if you don't include real exercise, it is going to be much more difficult for anyone to lose weight, because exercise helps to increase metabolism. Also, building muscle mass is just as important as burning calories because we burn more calories trying to maintain muscle than we do trying to maintain fat. But the biggest truth there is in all of this is that it is much easier to stay thin or at a good weight if you never get fat in the first place. We have to stop letting kids get fat from the get go. This is where so many people are losing the battle.

If you diet, your body defies the laws of physics, allowing you to produce work without energy input? Dumb, du, du, du, dumb, dumb.

And, thanks for promoting one if the biggest myths about weight loss, that exercise is important.

Exercise is of the utmost importance when trying to lose weight. If you want to increase your metabolism, then start exercising. More importantly, build muscle mass. That really gets the metabolism going and keeps it going.

Yeah, fat people say they hardly eat. Sometimes they really do hardly eat, and then they LOSE WEIGHT! Then they go back to their old diet and gain the weight back.

If you eat too little, the body goes into starvation mode and begins to store fat. Without exercise, you will still gain weight.

Like we lie for fags, are we going to start saying fat people are born that way?

Some fat people are born with genes that make them more susceptible to gaining weight, but that does not mean they are born fat. That is much different than gays who are born gay. If you knew anyone who was gay, you would know that.

This is what I know. I have struggled with my weight my entire life. My Dad was overweight and so is my sister. I fight it all the time. I have to use great will power and just force myself to stick to a program. I like Weight Watchers. I eat tons of vegetables, espescially brocolli. I eat a very moderate amount of meat and very little fried foods. I eat whole wheat bread and whole grain cereals. I rarely eat fast food any more at all. I am very active, always on the go, and in the winter when I don't walk the dogs as much, I do some kind of exercise program, in addition to running up and down the stairs, doing endless chores and taking care of 11 animals.

But I crave snacks, love sweets and have to fight with myself all the time. One of my theories is that I work so hard and don't get enough sleep, so I turn to food for energy and comfort.

My husband on the other hand...has maintained the same weight his entire adulthood. He's pushing 50 now and no signs of pudging out. He says he only eats when he's hungry and when he's no longer hungry, he stops eating. He eats very little vegetables and fruit, eats lots of meat, eats white bread and white rice with tons of gravy on it. He usually has some kind of dessert after dinner. He does no exercise, although he is a cook and therefore always on his feet and active at work. He doesn't have to use any willpower. It's not through some superiority of his that his weight is stable. He doesn't have to work at it at all.

So it seems clear to me that some people are dealt a crappier hand when it comes to metabolism and weight issues.

Yes, it is something they can control if they work at it constantly. But it doesn't make them lesser people, even when they lose control from time to time, as I do.

And people who are just thin, and don't have to work at it, are not superior. They're just lucky.

I agree with you 100%. Some people do have it much easier than others when it comes to keeping a decent weight. That doesn't mean that you can't do it too if you want to. It just takes a little more effort.

When I quit smoking, after nearly 30 years, I had already gained around 14 pounds, and it seemed as if all of a sudden I had bought a one way ticket on the gravy train. With quitting, I was worried that I would gain even more. I cut out all soda and I stopped adding flavored creamer into my coffee. On top of that, I started working out. Within a few months, all the weight was gone. Instead of gaining weight after quitting smoking, I actually lost weight. Now I'm in the best shape I've been in since I was in high school. I'll never get back to that, but I am close.

I think it's more complicated than that.

I found it interesting that there's a theory that sexual molestation affects hormonal balance, and that there was a study done that found that there was a much higher incidence of obesity in adults who were molested as children....

That was in another thread. I can't even remember the topic now, but it was the one where someone asked for information about how behavior can affect hormone balance.

Quick question Kosher Twit.............what is your body fat percentage?

If it's over 18 percent (which means fat for women).................who was it that touched you in your special place?

You were molested, weren't you? The reason I ask is because you've brought this up several times before.

EXERCISE and diet programs are all but useless in helping obese people shed weight permanently, prompting calls from an Australian expert for more public hospitals to offer gastric surgery.

University of Melbourne professor of medicine Joseph Proietto said recent research showed that while obese people who made the effort could shed weight in the short term, after four to five years the lost weight was almost completely regained.

Far from being due to laziness, this appeared to be caused by hormonal changes as the body sought to return to what it considered its benchmark weight.

Uh oh. Bad news for the food nazis.

Comments?

Is this creditable reseach or "University of East Anglia's Climate" Research?

Is it possible that the gastric surgeons are plotting to profit by skewing public perception into buying more of their services?

Hey,these days, it is safer to be a skeptic than a a believer .

Forum List

Back