executive tyranny

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Bush's executive tyranny - Los Angeles Times

Just how close to the brink of executive tyranny did the United States come in the panic that swept George W. Bush's administration after 9/11? The answer, it now seems clear, is that we came far closer than even staunch critics of the White House believed.

On Monday, the Obama administration released nine legal opinions produced for the Bush White House by the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel shortly after the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. That heretofore obscure office essentially serves as the president's arbiter of what's legal and what isn't. Among other things, the memorandums issued by the office in 2001 asserted that Bush had the power to order the military to capture suspected terrorists on U.S. soil and to treat them as enemy combatants without any rights to due process.

In the course of such operations, according to the Office of Legal Counsel, the military was free to ignore 4th Amendment prohibitions on illegal search and seizure and to engage in warrantless wiretapping. 1st Amendment protections of free speech also could be suspended at the chief executive's directive, according to these opinions, and the president has the power to abrogate any international treaty at will.

Just how close to the brink of executive tyranny did the United States come in the panic that swept George W. Bush's administration after 9/11? The answer, it now seems clear, is that we came far closer than even staunch critics of the White House believed.

On Monday, the Obama administration released nine legal opinions produced for the Bush White House by the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel shortly after the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. That heretofore obscure office essentially serves as the president's arbiter of what's legal and what isn't. Among other things, the memorandums issued by the office in 2001 asserted that Bush had the power to order the military to capture suspected terrorists on U.S. soil and to treat them as enemy combatants without any rights to due process.

In the course of such operations, according to the Office of Legal Counsel, the military was free to ignore 4th Amendment prohibitions on illegal search and seizure and to engage in warrantless wiretapping. 1st Amendment protections of free speech also could be suspended at the chief executive's directive, according to these opinions, and the president has the power to abrogate any international treaty at will.

wow! that' never happened before bush.

idiot

You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait'll Obama gets through. Oh wait that would imply that Obama would have to be at least mildly competent...

Anything that Bush gets away with, his successors get to do, too.

That's in the totalitarians grandfathering clause of the Constitution, I think.

It's been working out real well for us so far, don't you think?

how many ethnic groups did he intern? how many people did he throw into st elizabeth's for the duration? for how long did he suspend the right of habeus corpus?

i don't mind bush being taken to ask for his excesses; i do mind the convenient amnesia regarding other chief executives.

*yawn* Dude, Bush isn't President. We had to listen to this drivel for 8 years.

Move on, huh?

F-ing wingnut.:cuckoo:

Actually since we were at WAR with Terrorism the Military had and has every legal right to operate AGAINST Terrorists with in the US. And they would not have the protection of the Constitution until after the fact when a Court MIGHT hear if the PARTICULAR case was with in the scope of the War or civilian.

That is how it works. And it is with in the Power of the President to so order such operations.

Now go find us a single case where the military actually did anything of the sort with in the United States. I won't hold my breath waiting.

*yawn* Dude, Bush isn't President. We had to listen to this drivel for 8 years.

Move on, huh?

F-ing wingnut.:cuckoo:
correction, MOONBATS

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.. Thomas Jefferson 1802

The extreme leftists since as far back as I can remember never
support our efforts to go overseas to defend liberty--although this will never happen These assholes need a real RED Dawn to once again have a all pulled together USA.

This thread's title makes me think of Eddie Izzard.

executive tyranny ---> executive tranny ----> executive transvestite

Yawn, my ass.

According to the right, as soon as a president leaves anything he did in the past doesn't count. If that's true then there should be no one in prison for crimes they committed in the past. We need to move on.org/.

If these rulings were so damn fine, why did they rush to change them at the end?

Yes, Bush is gone, but dead are still dead and the deficit that Cheney said didn't count is still with US, but hey, lel's let bygones be bygones and move on. It's all Obama's fault now.

Anyone of US could have been arrested on suspicion of terrorism, thrown in jail and never had a chance to appear before a judge.

Yawn, my ass. Our founding fathers will kick his ass when they meet him.

Yawn, my ass.

According to the right, as soon as a president leaves anything he did in the past doesn't count. If that's true then there should be no one in prison for crimes they committed in the past. We need to move on.org/.

If these rulings were so damn fine, why did they rush to change them at the end?

Yes, Bush is gone, but dead are still dead and the deficit that Cheney said didn't count is still with US, but hey, lel's let bygones be bygones and move on. It's all Obama's fault now.

Anyone of US could have been arrested on suspicion of terrorism, thrown in jail and never had a chance to appear before a judge.

Yawn, my ass. Our founding fathers will kick his ass when they meet him.

Simply NOT true. The one person that they tried to classify as such got his date in Court and the Supreme Court ruled that he had the protections of the Constitution. THAT is how it works, retard.

I won't respond in retard format.

I am talking about the decisions that Wu and Bush's "justice" attorneys wrote for him. They would have allowed you to be thrown in jail and no recourse period. That they didn't get around to implementing this is only part of the issue. The fact that they said this was permissable is against the law and our constitution.

We haven't had another terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 9-11 and several attempts were thwarted. I'm just saying.

Squawk... My name is gayboyusmc... squawk... Bush is evil.. squawk... Cheney is the devil... squawk

parrot.jpg

I won't respond in retard format.

I am talking about the decisions that Wu and Bush's "justice" attorneys wrote for him. They would have allowed you to be thrown in jail and no recourse period. That they didn't get around to implementing this is only part of the issue. The fact that they said this was permissable is against the law and our constitution.

I would not disagree that the Bush years caused most of our economic woes..What sucks is the level of greed by congress to grab
whats left as if the pot will fill itself. As well as the ovious lack of
competance on the present leadership..

The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not Thomas Jefferson 1802

Wise Words from an American Patriot

and was he ever so right

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe,
we shall become as corrupt as Europe .
Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those
who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes.
A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense
of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results
from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear
arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which
he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than
standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control
the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and
corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all
property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers
conquered.'

Hey Dave, did you think that up yourself, or did your mommy help you?:clap2:

Interesting that so many conservatives think "gay" is an insult. But when it came to Cheney's daughter, that was different.:cuckoo:

I may not be able to recover fromt that one. May have to call Craig for guidance. You Army guys sure are smart.:lol:

Forum List

Back