executive branch ?

sam111

Jan 26, 2012
executive branch
I know a little about it basically president , vice president , 15 cabinet members ,...etc
This branch is to enforce the laws created be the legislative branch.

But I am wondering for US citizens what people/workers/jobs can enforce the law.
Is it just the state , town , federal police or is their more people like under different cabinets.

I would like a more complete map of who has the right to enforce what on people in the US.

Question 2
Who has the right to arrest somebody is it just state , town police or FBI , Drug administration people . Or is anybody in the executive branch have that right?
As well is their anybody outside the executive branch that can arrest another person (in the united states)

Question 3
Can regular citizens arrest people in the US. If so would that imply regular citizens fall under the executive branch? Or are you not suppose to make citizens arrests is it illegal to make citizens arrests ?
(basically does being in the executive branch imply you can arrest US citizens if they commit a crime or does being able to arrest somebody fall under something more/less general then being in the executive branch of government in the US.

Question 4
Correct me if I am wrong but anybody in the executive branch falls under one of the 15 cabinets other then the president , vice president and a few others... But all organizations , companies , executive branch workers falls under one of those cabinets.
Correct ? or the structure of the executive branch not a tree like structure with the root being president/vice president and the second top level nodes being just the 15 cabinet members ... on from their.....

Thanks for any help with this
The structure of the legislative is much easier to understand at least for me it is.
Or is it just the department of justice that can arrest don't think this is the only one though but FBI fall under it.

The 15 departments of the US executive branch (the cabinet) are :

Department of Agriculture
Department of Commerce
Department of Defense
Department of Education
Department of Energy
Department of Health and Human Services
Department of Homeland Security
Department of Housing and Urban Development
Department of the Interior
Department of Justice
Department of Labor
Department of State
Department of Transportation
Department of the Treasury
Department of Veterans Affairs

The executive who runs a department is called a Secretary (e.g. Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of State). The exception is the Department of Justice, which is headed by the Attorney General.
They run the 14 Executive Departments (departments of State, Defense, Treasury, etc.) and provide advice to the president.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_US_cabinet_departments#ixzz1mVDyYqs2

Last edited:
Well , I am not from here.
And I was just wondering how the law is enforced with who can arrest you and who cann't?
I mean who has the authority and who doesn't ?

Is it just the department of justice cabinet and people under it.
Or is it more general to anybody in the executive branch has that ability?
Or is it even more general then that where people in another branch of the government not under executive can arrest ?

Well , I am not from here.
And I was just wondering how the law is enforced with who can arrest you and who cann't?
I mean who has the authority and who doesn't ?

Is it just the department of justice cabinet and people under it.
Or is it more general to anybody in the executive branch has that ability?
Or is it even more general then that where people in another branch of the government not under executive can arrest ?

Actually ANY american can affect an arrest on any other via citizen's arrest. However, you damn sure better make sure you have reason if you choose that option or you could instead be facing kidnapping charges.

As for the government, IF they have a badge they have the power to arrest you and there are too many agencies to list here.

Even like a forest ranger.
Or a mall security guard.

I guess what I am saying is other then the cop's (local police , state , fbi ,...etc)
Is their any other badges that have enough gear and do it on a regular bases or is it mostly just the cops.

Seems to me the cops , army , navy , ... and a few others actually have the gear on an every day bases to really over power anybody they wanted to.

But I guess if it was hand to hand it would be whoever is stronger and more skilled in fighting. ( that and the fact the numbers of people involved)

Question 2
If you make a citizens arrest ....what does that entail ... calling the cops or bring them to the police station.

What could back fire on you if you where correct in the arrest... would you still have to read them their rights or they would go free from their crime. ( or is that what the cops would have to be responsible of doing only interms of the law)
If somebody did this and got it wrong what is the worst thing that could happen to them.

So in theory any US citizen can make a citizens arrest and by default if only the executive branch can enforce the law all citizens by default belong to some part of the executive branch :)

Curious if you can only make a citizens arrest if you are a US citizen or can anybody visiting from another country have this ability as well :)

Last edited:
Every agency of law enforcement has their own jurisdiction. If they want to arrest someone but don't have the proper jurisdiction, they'll call whoever they need to who does, and those people will make the arrest instead. Hence the term 'long arm of the law'.

Google is your friend

Bu apparently 9th grade civics was NOT the OP's friend.

For Christ's sake - can't you people be civil to anyone? OBVIOUSLY, this person is not from the U.S. and he/she obviously doesn't understand how our system works and wants to know more.

Instead of being a jerk, maybe you might want to let this person know what you know about our government - if anything.

Google is your friend

For Christ's sake - can't you people be civil to anyone? OBVIOUSLY, this person is not from the U.S. and he/she obviously doesn't understand how our system works and wants to know more.

Instead of being a jerk, maybe you might want to let this person know what you know about our government - if anything.

A lecture on civility from someone who calls people jerks? You MUST be a liberal.

You quoted me, and questioned my civility when I didn't call names, only mentioned that the OP hadn't been friends with 9th grade civics. THEN I went on to give some input to his questions.

You on the other hand added NOTHING to this thread other than some weak insults. I imagine if I look into some of your other posts around the board the story will be similar.

You are dismissed as being irrelevant.

Google is your friend

You people?

Idiot.

But I am wondering for US citizens what people/workers/jobs can enforce the law. Is it just the state , town , federal police or is their more people like under different cabinets.

I would like a more complete map of who has the right to enforce what on people in the US.

I have never heard this question asked, but I don't think that Cabinet members have the power to effect a law enforcement arrest as would a peace officer.

Police in this country are generally classified as local, state or federal. Local police can include city police departments, sheriff's departments, etc. Other government employees are considered peace officers, and have the power to arrest such as firefighters, fish and game officers, etc.

At the state level, you generally have highway patrol officers and state police. Highway patrol officers patrol the state's highways although they also investigate crimes. State police have highly specialized assignments, generally associated with security for the state government.

At the federal level, you have federal marshals, and all kinds of agencies (FBI, CIA, etc.) whose main responsibility of government security, internal law enforcement issues and, in the case of the CIA, international issues.

Basically, there are only two kinds of arrests allowed: (1) arrest by a duly authorized peace officer and (2) citizen's arrest.

Question 2
Who has the right to arrest somebody is it just state , town police or FBI , Drug administration people . Or is anybody in the executive branch have that right?
As well is their anybody outside the executive branch that can arrest another person (in the united states)

I think I covered that in my answer to No. 1.

Question 3
Can regular citizens arrest people in the US. If so would that imply regular citizens fall under the executive branch? Or are you not suppose to make citizens arrests is it illegal to make citizens arrests ?
(basically does being in the executive branch imply you can arrest US citizens if they commit a crime or does being able to arrest somebody fall under something more/less general then being in the executive branch of government in the US.

Yes, regular citizens can arrest other citizens. It is called a citizen's arrest. As I alluded to earlier, merely being a part of the executive branch of the government does not make you a peace officer nor does it make you eligible to make any kind of an arrest other than a citizen's arrest.

Question 4
Correct me if I am wrong but anybody in the executive branch falls under one of the 15 cabinets other then the president , vice president and a few others... But all organizations , companies , executive branch workers falls under one of those cabinets.
Correct ? or the structure of the executive branch not a tree like structure with the root being president/vice president and the second top level nodes being just the 15 cabinet members ... on from their.....

Thanks for any help with this
The structure of the legislative is much easier to understand at least for me it is.
Or is it just the department of justice that can arrest don't think this is the only one though but FBI fall under it.

We have lots of governmental agencies that exist independently of the vaious cabinets. Many of them do fall under the jurisdiction of one (or possibly more) of the cabinets, but not all.

I hope this helps.

You people?

Idiot.

That's right, sweeheart - YOU PEOPLE. I refer, of course, to authoritarian conservative jerks, such as yourself.

Nice deflection, by the way. Care to address the issue of being rude to guests with obviously sincere questions? Didn't think so.

Last edited:

A lecture on civility from someone who calls people jerks? You MUST be a liberal.

You quoted me, and questioned my civility when I didn't call names, only mentioned that the OP hadn't been friends with 9th grade civics. THEN I went on to give some input to his questions.

You on the other hand added NOTHING to this thread other than some weak insults. I imagine if I look into some of your other posts around the board the story will be similar.

Here, my newfound friend:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-and-justice-system/208374-executive-branch.html#post4822832

Posted before I was able to read this little love note from you. Glad to see you are a consistent jerk.

Another thing, Sam - the rude and sarcastic replies on this thread are being brought to you by some of our political conservatives here. Pay them no mind - they generally act this way.

We also have others here (mostly liberals) who aren't quite so rude. Don't give up on America. Not everyone here is like those yapping at you on this thread.

Let me see if I can help here. My answers may not be 100% precise but I will do my best to assist you.

executive branch

But I am wondering for US citizens what people/workers/jobs can enforce the law.
Is it just the state , town , federal police or is their more people like under different cabinets.

The United States is broken down into geographical regions and different types of law enforcement have jurisdiction over given regions. That can be as large as the United States as a whole in the case of the FBI or ATF or as small as an independent store that has a security staff. A lot of times those areas overlap as well so for example a city cop has jurisdiction within city limits, a county sheriff may have jurisdiction in a couple cities if they fall within the county, a state cop has jurisdiction over the entire state, etc.

Only the federal branches of law enforcement (FBI, ATF, etc) report to the Department of Justice. State law enforcement reports to the state government and as every state has a different form of state government exactly who they report to varies from state to state but usually they report to the State Attorney General. Now a state Attorney General reports to the state Governor NOT the federal Department of Justice. This is why you see the Department of Justice sue state law enforcement all the time. They have no direct authority over them.

Question 2

Question 3

Let's take these two questions together. Technically anyone can make an arrest but in reality it doesn't work quite that way. As Unknown Soldier points out below if you perform a citizen's arrest on someone boy you had better have them dead to rights with smoking gun evidence or you will be facing some serious consequences of your own. In reality a citizen's arrest (or "arrest" by a mall security officer for example) is really just detaining someone until a sworn deputy of the law can get there to formally arrest them (take them into custody, read Miranda Rights, fingerprint them, etc). So to answer your second question about a citizen's arrest the answer is "yes but not really". A formal arrest can be performed by any sworn law enforcement official within their jurisdiction. Can anyone in the executive branch make a formal arrest? If they fall under the state or federal department of justice and are a sworn deputy of the law, yes. Can a governor or the POTUS arrest someone? Yes but in reality they simply direct the Department of Justice to do it. Can anyone outside the executive branch arrest someone? No although in special cases the legislative and judicial branches can take action against the executive branch if the executive branch itself is in violation of the law. However, that does not mean they arrest them. They impeach the offender from being in the executive branch, then they may or may not be arrested depending on the crime they are charged with.

Question 4

Yeah that's pretty much it. It's like a tree root system. The Secretaries of the cabinet report to the President (often through the Chief of Staff although each President does it their own way), then others report to the Secretary of which department their job falls under. So an FBI agent reports to the Director of the FBI, who reports to the Attorney General, who reports to the POTUS. It's a little more complicated than that but in a nutshell that's the basic idea.

Now just to fuck things up even more keep in mind that the President can appoint "czars" to deal specifically with things not already dealt with by an official cabinet department or take an issue out of the hands of a cabinet department and give it to a czar to deal with. The legality of this is slightly debatable but probably sound, especially if they are confirmed by the legislative branch (although that does not always happen).

i hope that helps

Last edited:
Another thing, Sam - the rude and sarcastic replies on this thread are being brought to you by some of our political conservatives here. Pay them no mind - they generally act this way.

We also have others here (mostly liberals) who aren't quite so rude. Don't give up on America. Not everyone here is like those yapping at you on this thread.

Oh stick it up your ass and quit making this a political identity thing, George. I am a Republican and answered his question without busting his balls. Good Christ almighty.

Here, my newfound friend:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-and-justice-system/208374-executive-branch.html#post4822832

Posted before I was able to read this little love note from you. Glad to see you are a consistent jerk.

Just hilarious that you are running around calling people names and then lecturing on civility. You're online for God's sakes. Look up the word civility in a dictionary and see if it includes "calling people names." I assure you it doesn't. And LOL @ in a different post you blamed uncivilized behavior on being conservative, plenty of conservatives are NOT rude, and plenty of liberals are rude, and in fact one has nothing to do with the other. Sad that you had to dishonestly try to bring political bent into a discussion on civility.

The United States is broken down into geographical regions and different types of law enforcement have jurisdiction over given regions. That can be as large as the United States as a whole in the case of the FBI or ATF or as small as an independent store that has a security staff. A lot of times those areas overlap as well so for example a city cop has jurisdiction within city limits, a county sheriff may have jurisdiction in a couple cities if they fall within the county, a state cop has jurisdiction over the entire state, etc.

Only the federal branches of law enforcement (FBI, ATF, etc) report to the Department of Justice. State law enforcement reports to the state government and as every state has a different form of state government exactly who they report to varies from state to state but usually they report to the State Attorney General. Now a state Attorney General reports to the state Governor NOT the federal Department of Justice. This is why you see the Department of Justice sue state law enforcement all the time. They have no direct authority over them.

Oh...one more note on jurisdiction. In addition to geographical jurisdiction there is also legal jurisdiction. Federal law trumps state law so a state cop can arrest someone who commits a federal offense (like bank robbery for example) because it is a law in their state by virtue of it being a federal law, but an FBI agent has no authority to arrest someone who is in violation of a state law (underage drinking, for example) because their jurisdiction is limited to federal law only.

Oh stick it up your ass and quit making this a political identity thing, George. I am a Republican and answered his question without busting his balls. Good Christ almighty.

Fair enough. It just offends me when people post smart-ass remarks to an obviously sincere question.

Forum List

Back