Excused from jury duty for being gay......

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
A gay man was excused from jury duty in New York because he says discrimination against homosexuals makes him a second class citizen and claimed impartiality as a result.

To make his case, Jonathan Lovitz, said, “I raised my hand and said, ‘Since I can’t get married or adopt a child in the state of New York, I can’t possibly be an impartial judge of a citizen when I am considered a second class citizen in the eyes of the justice system.’”

Lovitz was then dismissed.

msnbc.com - Should homosexuals be excused from jury duty because of their 'lack of impartiality?'

You know.......considering the bias against gay people in this country, as well as the many homophobic rant threads stared on here by others, I think this dude is correct. Because of his being gay, and the bias against gays in this country, he's telling the truth when he says he can't be impartial.

Good for him.

You know......if you can't marry who you love, you're a second class citizen automatically.

If you can't serve openly in the Armed Forces, you're a second class citizen there as well.

This could be the thing that finally gets gays equal rights in this country. One can only hope.

You know......if you can't marry who you love, you're a second class citizen automatically.

If you can't serve openly in the Armed Forces, you're a second class citizen there as well.

This could be the thing that finally gets gays equal rights in this country. One can only hope.

You know what should have given gays rights a long time ago?

800px-All_men_are_created_equal.JPG

Welcome to America, where we pick and choose who can do what in accordance with your race, sex, or sexual orientation.

And that's 2 out of three.

Oh and not to mention, when people say "Follow the Constitution" don't cherry pick it. That just makes you a hypocrite.

Last edited:
I think he's a jackass who used this an excuse to get out of jury duty while pretending to make a stand for something.

If he really felt he was being treated as a 2nd class citizen, he'd jump at the chance to play a role in our justice system- he'd want to be MORE, not LESS, involved in how this society runs itself.

I think he's a jackass who used this an excuse to get out of jury duty while pretending to make a stand for something.

If he really felt he was being treated as a 2nd class citizen, he'd jump at the chance to play a role in our justice system- he'd want to be MORE, not LESS, involved in how this society runs itself.

Wrong.

MSNBC did an interview with him this afternoon. He'd shown up for jury duty, went through 2 full days of questioning, and was thinking about all the stuff he'd been asked about and typed that on his Facebook page.

When he was then asked by the lawyers, he stated to the lawyer what he'd just put on his Facebook page. It was then that the judge made a decision and dismissed him.

But.......he's right.........how can you possibly serve on what is supposed to be a jury of your PEERS, when you have almost nothing in common with them due to the fact that they were straight and you weren't? Not to mention........the various persecutions by straights, being denied the priveledge of serving your country in the military, as well as many other discriminatory acts against you by your fellow citizens?

I've been called for jury duty many times. It never occurred to me that if you're considered a second class citizen you can't be impartial.

I know plenty of Buddhists in our community have been dismissed from jury duty because we have vows to do no harm.

I've been called for jury duty many times. It never occurred to me that if you're considered a second class citizen you can't be impartial.

I know plenty of Buddhists in our community have been dismissed from jury duty because we have vows to do no harm.

Although I do have a Buddhist reflections book (daily readings) in my bathroom, I can't get away with that because I'm a Taoist and there are no such restrictions on us.

Hmmmmmm...........although...........I can pretend to be Buddhist easier than I can pretend to be gay.

But.......he's right.........how can you possibly serve on what is supposed to be a jury of your PEERS, when you have almost nothing in common with them due to the fact that they were straight and you weren't?

Wait... so now straights must have all-straight juries? What about blacks, gays, lesbians, mexicans, Democrats, Republicans, members of any given street gang, metalheads, skinheads, suedeheads, deadheads...?

But.......he's right.........how can you possibly serve on what is supposed to be a jury of your PEERS, when you have almost nothing in common with them due to the fact that they were straight and you weren't?

Wait... so now straights must have all-straight juries? What about blacks, gays, lesbians, mexicans, Democrats, Republicans, members of any given street gang, metalheads, skinheads, suedeheads, deadheads...?

The only 2 out of those you just mentioned (gays and lesbians) are the only ones that are discriminated against.

Try again.

Forum List

Back